will my age affect my chance to apply for rad oncology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

windcolour

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an incoming MD student. I am accepted to my state school (rank 50-60) and I also have a very high chance to attend a top 25 school.

Unfortunately I am a non-traditional student. I own a PhD with 20 publications on cancer biology (7 first author and one is on Cell). My age is almost 10 years older than regular students.

Suppose I get at least 230 on my step 1 and also do well on my clinic rotation in the future.

What is my chance to match into rad oncology? Will my age reduce my chance?

Members don't see this ad.

About 25% of incoming rad onc residents have MD-PhDs, and are usually 4-5 years older than our MD colleagues. There is a certain northeastern school where it is not unheard of for MD-PhDs to spend about 10 years just in the lab! :)

Your age should not be a factor, especially since it appears that your time was not spent in prison for armed robbery, but being very productive in lab. With 20 publications and a first author Cell paper, you should be golden.

Good luck in med school!

Members don't see this ad :)
you should be fine. i went straight through school, and one of the other residents in my program (also a pgy-2 like me) is 8 years older than me, he also did a ph.d. first, worked for a few years, and then went back to med school.

Thanks a lot for all your kind suggestion. It is very important for me to reach a decision.

My research focuses on cancer mechanism. Therefore, I hope I could benefit from it by choosing rad oncology.

Echoing the sentiments of those above. I'm turning 40 before I finish my residency, which is soon.

Holy crap, it's hitting me now...

Echoing the sentiments of those above. I'm turning 40 before I finish my residency, which is soon.

Holy crap, it's hitting me now...

If it makes you feel any better, you looked MUCH younger when I met you at ASTRO.