General Admissions & OTCAS Will my application be thrown out with a 3.4gpa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jaseh Howerd

Reaction score
This is mainly applying to Public Schools in Texas (UTHCS, Texas Tech, TWU, UT El Paso and UT RGV). I dont plan on applying to schools for another 2-3 years, and by then my Overall GPA should be a bit above a 3.4 (Pre-reqs should be a 3.6-3.8, last 40 hours would be 3.7-4.0). I graduate in a year, and afterwards the plan is to work as a Behavior Tech, get more shadowing hours (150 plus in 3 different places) take A&P and also take the GRE (Ill try to volunteer as a rehab aide, but money is abit of an issue). The biggest issue is that I know that the longer that I wait, the more competitive OT admissions becomes. I hear all the time about how OT schools through out you application if it isnt a competitive gpa. I wanted to find out if that was the case, because it would suck for my application to be thrown out before they even made it to my extracurricular and personal statement?

Edit: I have a lower GPA being a Biology major with minor in Biochemistry and Psychology. Also had a rough year of depression my sophomore year

Members don't see this ad.

I got into 3 schools with a 3.45 gpa and with less observations hours. Not rejected from any schools. Waitlisted at 3 more. Worked as a behavior tech for a year after school. Biology major with psych minor.Make your personal statement amazing and you’ll be good.

Reactions: 1 user
I got into 3/4 schools I applied to & waitlisted at the other with a 3.34 cummulative GPA and a 290 GRE score. I had tons of job experience in many areas of healthcare along with many hours of shadowing and volunteer. Had 5 LOR and a killer personal statement. There are ways to stand out to admissions without having a 4.0 GPA. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I got into three schools of a 3.4 GPA and a terrible GRE score. I don't think your application will be thrown out because you have a 3.4 GPA. At the end of the day, your GPA is only one factor in the admission process. It is who you are as a whole person; when I saw my GPA is lower compared to everyone else who applied; I have started to shadowed more hours in the summer and took more time to write my personal statement, which it has balanced me out as a competitive candidate. I believe in you, Jaseh!!! Never quit :)

This is mainly applying to Public Schools in Texas (UTHCS, Texas Tech, TWU, UT El Paso and UT RGV). I dont plan on applying to schools for another 2-3 years, and by then my Overall GPA should be a bit above a 3.4 (Pre-reqs should be a 3.6-3.8, last 40 hours would be 3.7-4.0). I graduate in a year, and afterwards the plan is to work as a Behavior Tech, get more shadowing hours (150 plus in 3 different places) take A&P and also take the GRE (Ill try to volunteer as a rehab aide, but money is abit of an issue). The biggest issue is that I know that the longer that I wait, the more competitive OT admissions becomes. I hear all the time about how OT schools through out you application if it isnt a competitive gpa. I wanted to find out if that was the case, because it would suck for my application to be thrown out before they even made it to my extracurricular and personal statement?

Edit: I have a lower GPA being a Biology major with minor in Biochemistry and Psychology. Also had a rough year of depression my sophomore year
Hey I believe you will be fine honestly! I had a 3.3 cumulative GPA and my pre-req GPA ranged from 3.2 to 3.8. I was able to snag 5 interviews and as of now, I've been accepted into 3 programs. I would say your GPA would need some improvement if you're really interested in Texas Tech; I applied there with my stats and did not get accepted. I applied to TWU and got an interview but was waitlisted with my stats as well. But if you get more hours and do great on the GRE, you should be good to go. Best of luck!

It depends on what school you want to get into. There are definitely many schools that your stats are great for. Try to get an A in A&P. But your stats are good!