Will my community college credits hurt my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

malikhind

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, my first year of college I went to a community college because I was not sure what I wanted to do as a career and I did not want to waste money at a university. I have 37 credit hours, 3.92 oGPA and 4.0 sGPA from the community college. The only pre-reqs I took were university physics 1/2 and the rest will be completed at a university. I'm currently a sophomore and after this semester I should have 31 credit hours with a oGPA of 3.57 and sGPA of 3.52 at my university. I messed up my first semester at university because I didn't take it as seriously as I should have because I was conditioned by my first year at community college. I got straight B's in gChem 1 and Biology (organismal) and a elective. However, this semester I should be getting a 4.0 in all my science classes. If I do as well as I hope on the DAT, could this effect my negatively if I am applying to top dental schools (i.e. Columbia, Harvard, NYU etc...)? By the time I apply I should have around a 3.8 cumulative GPA and I aim for at least a 23 on the DAT.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, my first year of college I went to a community college because I was not sure what I wanted to do as a career and I did not want to waste money at a university. I have 37 credit hours, 3.92 oGPA and 4.0 sGPA from the community college. The only pre-reqs I took were university physics 1/2 and the rest will be completed at a university. I'm currently a sophomore and after this semester I should have 31 credit hours with a oGPA of 3.57 and sGPA of 3.52 at my university. I messed up my first semester at university because I didn't take it as seriously as I should have because I was conditioned by my first year at community college. I got straight B's in gChem 1 and Biology (organismal) and a elective. However, this semester I should be getting a 4.0 in all my science classes. If I do as well as I hope on the DAT, could this effect my negatively if I am applying to top dental schools (i.e. Columbia, Harvard, NYU etc...)? By the time I apply I should have around a 3.8 cumulative GPA and I aim for at least a 23 on the DAT.
it wont hurt your chances at all. I went to a community college first too and I still got into 7 dental schools.

Reactions: 2 users
You will be fine. Just doube check the schools you apply to, because from what I have hear, some don't cc credits or any prereqs from them etc.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It shouldn't hurt your chances in the long run, but if the schools you really want to go only accept a certain number of CC credits you should do the research on the amount, and/or call that school and ask.

A question I asked recently. Although the consensus seems to be that it really does not matter too much, here are the schools that have specifically stated on their website/adea guide that they do not prefer them. But from the forums I have noticed these schools make exceptions.

PSA about community college courses

Why do people care about going to a top dental school?

You will be fine. Just doube check the schools you apply to, because from what I have hear, some don't cc credits or any prereqs from them etc.

I've been checking out schools and most that don't accept pre-reqs say that if a higher level course is taken in that subject, it will count. I.e. if I took gen chem 1 at a cc then gen chem 2 at a university, they would accept the gen chem 1 credits. But I will double check before I apply.

Why do people care about going to a top dental school?

From what I've heard, it's not as big of a deal for people who just want to run a general practice, but going to a top dental school is very beneficial if you want to do surgery or specialize.

Did a lot of CC classes. Not an issue for me!