Will my past low grades prevent me from getting into pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmgirl586

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I need some advice. I spent my first two years at a community college where my cGPA is approximately a 3.3 overall.I then transferred to a university were I did not do so well. I kept getting C's after C's and I lost hope in ever becoming an A student. I got a 2.4 and 2.5 in Orgo 1 and 2, and a 2.5 in Gen Chem II, a 3.7 in Gen Chem I. My lowest cGPA at the university at one point was 2.67. One day I decided to turn my grades around and have been getting A's and B's ever since. But even though I would get good grades my GPA would increases only a tiny bit. I was able to raise my cGPA at the university from a 2.67 to a 3.25, because the GPA of the last 56 credits that I have taken at the university is a 3.59.

To summarize:
Community college cGPA ~3.3 (mostly gen end classes)
University cGPA is a 3.25 (mostly science classes)
Last 56 credits at the university 3.59 (upper level science classes, except two upper level German classes)

1. Do I have any hope of getting into pharmacy school?
2. I am looking at pharmacy schools that do not require a PCAT. Do those schools actually accept students on a regular basis without having the PCAT ?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes, you have a chance. And if the school says PCAT is not required, then it really is not required.

However, considering your so-so GPA, I feel you could increase your chances of getting into a (good) pharmacy school by taking the PCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I need some advice. I spent my first two years at a community college where my cGPA is approximately a 3.3 overall.I then transferred to a university were I did not do so well. I kept getting C's after C's and I lost hope in ever becoming an A student. I got a 2.4 and 2.5 in Orgo 1 and 2, and a 2.5 in Gen Chem II, a 3.7 in Gen Chem I. My lowest cGPA at the university at one point was 2.67. One day I decided to turn my grades around and have been getting A's and B's ever since. But even though I would get good grades my GPA would increases only a tiny bit. I was able to raise my cGPA at the university from a 2.67 to a 3.25, because the GPA of the last 56 credits that I have taken at the university is a 3.59.

To summarize:
Community college cGPA ~3.3 (mostly gen end classes)
University cGPA is a 3.25 (mostly science classes)
Last 56 credits at the university 3.59 (upper level science classes, except two upper level German classes)

1. Do I have any hope of getting into pharmacy school?
2. I am looking at pharmacy schools that do not require a PCAT. Do those schools actually accept students on a regular basis without having the PCAT ?
you're stats look fine, when are you planning to apply ? and where are you planning on applying?

what makes you be afraid of taking pcat?
you only need to study approx. 1~2 months to aim 80+.
With good pcat, you have good chance to go to above avg pharm school.
I do not recommend schools that do not ask pcat score. I believe they are mostly private school and I do not like private school for some reasons.

My gpa is similar to yours but I didnt take classes in cc and I had my BS biochem when I applied.
With degree, you have better chances than other applicants, I am sure of it.

I just want you to take pcat and prepare your application asap in next cycle.

Absolutely take the PCAT. If you're applying solely to schools that do not require one, you would be considered lower tier.

Absolutely take the PCAT. If you're applying solely to schools that do not require one, you would be considered lower tier.

I know a some good California schools are exceptions to this. Neither UCSD nor USC require the PCAT. UCSF started requiring it as of this past application cycle (for 2017 enrollment).

I recommend taking the exam though. Somewhere around 75% of pharmacy schools require it so you'll certainly expand your options!