Will not following through impact my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sgt Snuggles

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So before college, I considered doing Ems as a way to pick up money and get some medical experience while I was at it, but due to a combination of scheduling conflicts and better opportunities I decided not to continue with it, and never even finished certification.

The problem is, the ems classes that I took were at a community college, and as such will be included in a transcript in my AMCAS, where med schools will be able to see that I only took the classes for a short while and then stopped.

Will this be looked upon negatively by adcoms? I'm sure this is very neurotic and all, but I just don't want to worry about the off chance of someone seeing this and thinking that since I quit one medical career path, I'm likely to quit others as well.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Where should I even address it then? I don't really feel that it would be necessary to write an entire essay about this.

I honestly just figured that I would explain in interviews that I began before I knew what college would entail, and that I needed to earn more income elsewhere rather than fighting for extremely limited, minimum-wage ems jobs in my city..

Why is it such a big deal? I know it's not favorable, but why do you think it's enough to warrant flat out rejection from all med schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh sorry for being unclear - I didn't drop out of the classes themselves, and actually got A's in them.

I meant that I didn't take the national certification exam, and don't plan on picking up that path again.

To be honest I saw it as more of a learning experience than anything, and while the classes themselves were enjoyable, I simply couldn't find the time to continue with college coursework piling up and bills that need paying (since it's tough to get any ems hours where I'm from)

Should I still explain those reasons above somewhere in my application?

Don't worry about it too much. Mention it in your app where they ask you to expand on any negatives, but just be mature about it. This is by no means a huge deal. Acting like it is a huge red flag will make it worse. Realize that this is a tiny thing to explain to them. I bet they won't even ask you about that at half your interviews.

Oh sorry for being unclear - I didn't drop out of the classes themselves, and actually got A's in them.

I meant that I didn't take the national certification exam, and don't plan on picking up that path again.

To be honest I saw it as more of a learning experience than anything, and while the classes themselves were enjoyable, I simply couldn't find the time to continue with college coursework piling up and bills that need paying (since it's tough to get any ems hours where I'm from)

Should I still explain those reasons above somewhere in my application?

Oh, don't even worry about it then, you're good. If it happens to come up in interviews just state the bolded.