Will opt schools know if you also applied to dental schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

student1982

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if there is a way for Optometry schools to know if you have applied to dental schools or pharmacy schools. Also I was planning to take the dat and oat this summer, will they be able to find out that I took two tests when I apply for opt school?
thanx in advance for any replies

Members don't see this ad.

Some applications (like UHCO) ask you to list what other professional schools you applied too, which may lead them to ask you questions about that during your interview. Depending on your word choice, some schools look down on those who apply to too many different types of schools, they see it as not being serious or certain of exactly what you want to do.

student1982 said:
Hello, I was wondering if there is a way for Optometry schools to know if you have applied to dental schools or pharmacy schools. Also I was planning to take the dat and oat this summer, will they be able to find out that I took two tests when I apply for opt school?

When you sign up for the OAT, it takes you to the ADA.org page (American Dental Association). The OAT is exactly the same thing as the DAT except for the physics portion.

Members don't see this ad :)
S_SEEN2020 said:
Some applications (like UHCO) ask you to list what other professional schools you applied too, which may lead them to ask you questions about that during your interview. Depending on your word choice, some schools look down on those who apply to too many different types of schools, they see it as not being serious or certain of exactly what you want to do.

I know its frowned upon when they know if you have more than one interest so thats why I was asking to see if they will find out about it. If you don't list any other professional schools then how are then gonna find out?

I understand your question, so basically it comes down to morals, and what you feel comfortable doing. If you don't tell, they won't ask, right? My bf is in dental school and he says that since there was a common app they didn't ask him such questions. I know for optometry school there are questions on certain applications. Personally, I would fill out my applications as honest as possible. And if you can afford to take several admissions test and apply to many schools, go for it, but I advise you to be honest, and prepare yourself to explain why you chose to apply to the schools that your did, or the profession you are the most interested in. Good Luck :luck:

student1982 said:
I know its frowned upon when they know if you have more than one interest so thats why I was asking to see if they will find out about it. If you don't list any other professional schools then how are then gonna find out?

lets say they dont know and you dont tell them, how will you talk about your EC's? if you work at a dental clinic they will ask why dental? if there is anything that interviewers are good at in my experience, its tearing apart your application and looking for inconsistancies. same thing for dental school, they would expect you to have extensive dental experience.

personally i feel that if you cant choose one, you have not done enough research and show enough passion for either field, and your application and interview will reflect that.

and lets say you dont list them and they accept you, if they find out later, they will have grounds to revoke your application.

the best plan is to be honest

student1982 said:

Other posters have given good advice about honesty, but please allow me to make a suggestion.

It sounds to me like you're not really committed to any of the fields that you mentioned. It sounds to me like you just want to "be a doctor of some kind" and whatever I get admitted to is fine.

That's a very dangerous position to be in. You run a very realistic chance of ending up disatisfied with your career choice.

If I were you, I would do a good couple of weeks of soul searching, pick a career, and then pursue that. Don't carpet bomb a bunch of professional schools with applications and hope that something sticks. You're likely to end up unhappy.

KHE said:
Other posters have given good advice about honesty, but please allow me to make a suggestion.

It sounds to me like you're not really committed to any of the fields that you mentioned. It sounds to me like you just want to "be a doctor of some kind" and whatever I get admitted to is fine.

That's a very dangerous position to be in. You run a very realistic chance of ending up disatisfied with your career choice.

If I were you, I would do a good couple of weeks of soul searching, pick a career, and then pursue that. Don't carpet bomb a bunch of professional schools with applications and hope that something sticks. You're likely to end up unhappy.

I'd have to totally agree with KHE here. Pick one thing your passionate about. Otherwise, you might get into a school and then be totally disappointed with your choice and be in too much debt to change your mind.

KHE said:

Like cpw, I agree 100% with KHE. Despite knowing virtually nothing about optometry or pharmacy, I can tell you they're both entirely different critters than dentistry, & each other. I couldn't imagine being an opto or a PharmD, and likewise I'm sure cpw wonders how drunk I must be to look inside people's mouths all day. ;)

Seriously, though, you should do as KHE suggested, do some soul-searching to see where your professional interests really lie, and then pursue that avenue exclusively.

aphistis said:
Like cpw, I agree 100% with KHE. Despite knowing virtually nothing about optometry or pharmacy, I can tell you they're both entirely different critters than dentistry, & each other. I couldn't imagine being an opto or a PharmD, and likewise I'm sure cpw wonders how drunk I must be to look inside people's mouths all day. ;)

Seriously, though, you should do as KHE suggested, do some soul-searching to see where your professional interests really lie, and then pursue that avenue exclusively.

I like both field equally. There are some advantages and disadvantages for both field and I weighed them down to be equal. I've work in an opt office and shawdowed after a dentist before so I know what both field is about. Now it comes down to whichever school will let me in. Anyway, I guess schools don't really check up on you I guess.

It's your life. You do what you want. Whatever profession you get into, as long as you're respectful to your patients, work hard, and do a good job, and that you're satisfied with your career....then you'll be fine. Who ever set a rule that a person should just have just stick with doing what they "love." Heck, I want to be a supermodel, but I don't think that's going to happen. If you want to apply to 10 different graduate schools, go for it. It's better to have options then wait another year (If you don't get in this year). You have to earn a living---and no one should tell you that you "don't sound committed." Those people are probably jealous and wants to reduce the competition.

picklebeebee said:
It's your life. You do what you want. Whatever profession you get into, as long as you're respectful to your patients, work hard, and do a good job, and that you're satisfied with your career....then you'll be fine. Who ever set a rule that a person should just have just stick with doing what they "love." Heck, I want to be a supermodel, but I don't think that's going to happen. If you want to apply to 10 different graduate schools, go for it. It's better to have options then wait another year (If you don't get in this year). You have to earn a living---and no one should tell you that you "don't sound committed." Those people are probably jealous and wants to reduce the competition.
Unless, of course, the people saying "you don't seem committed" are the ones deciding whether you get admitted to their school. ;)

picklebeebee said:

Jealous? Of what? Not knowing for sure what you want to do with your life? Yeah, I'm reeeeeeal jealous. Also, I think people here are trying to help the OP avoid what could be a big mistake, not trying to eliminate competition. Even if they were convinced to not go to optometry school, someone else would fill the seat.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know it's hard to make a choice, but what if both schools let you in? You're going to have to make a choice somewhere down the line. You can't just let "chance" or whatever decide your fate. If you do that, you will more than likely be unhappy. Weigh the pros and cons carefully. Make a list right here if you'd like. You can go ahead and apply to both, but be prepared with an answer on interview day.

And I know this is just kind of reiterating what everyone else has been saying, but it's really important for you to be honest. They always ask if you've applied to other schools, and, for better or worse, they are typically concerned with your dedication to the field. Even if you love optometry, if you love dentistry to the point that you can't decide, they might hesitate giving you a seat when you might decide to leave and pursue dentistry. They'd rather give that seat to someone who will stay. Sometimes you can spread yourself so thin that it actually hurts your chances.

And no one here is concerned with reducing the competition because I think everyone posting here is either already accepted or has already graduated. Besides I see a lot of people on these boards cheering one another on and offering help. :)

picklebeebee said:

I agree with the above post. I'm tired of hearing people say that "you MUST have a 100% passion for what you choose." I can think of numerous things I would rather be doing than optometry---"supermodel" (hehe), professional athlete, movie star, etc. The fact is those are not realistic goals for me so I had to pick the best available and realistic option out there. Do I want to be an optometrist? Yes. Is it my #1 career choice? Under the circumstances, Yes!

There is nothing wrong with applying to both dental and optometry schools. Obviously he/she considers them both intriguing careers and will go to which ever one accepts them.

Crushage said:
I agree with the above post. I'm tired of hearing people say that "you MUST have a 100% passion for what you choose." I can think of numerous things I would rather be doing than optometry---"supermodel" (hehe), professional athlete, movie star, etc. The fact is those are not realistic goals for me so I had to pick the best available and realistic option out there. Do I want to be an optometrist? Yes. Is it my #1 career choice? Under the circumstances, Yes!

There is nothing wrong with applying to both dental and optometry schools. Obviously he/she considers them both intriguing careers and will go to which ever one accepts them.

Just curious... but what level of passion are you willing to accept? 80% 60% 51% (just over half passionate?) I think there is a difference between the unattainable and fantasy positions you mention and the real world. While there is nothing technically "wrong" with applying to both dental and optometry school, I have to wonder how committed to either profession the OP is. The careers are so completely different that I have trouble understanding how both could so strongly appeal to the same person. If I were in this position, I would find it hard to convince an admissions committee why I'm crazy and passionate for ______ (insert profession here). As other posters have mentioned, if you were accepted to both schools, you'd have to make a decision at some point. Why not figure it out before you applying? Is it possible that the OP has concerns about his/her ability to be accepted to either type of school? Is this a possible fallback? No matter what we say, the OP will do what they want, and more power to him/her. I hear dentistry is awesome these days... and optometry isn't so hot! (Read from my comments my secret plan for world domination by eliminating my competition one potential OD student at a time.... :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin: )

Beginning a professional program is a very big committment in time and money. Taking one more year to take time to explore the choices and gain experience in the field isnt a bad idea. One year is not a long time in terms of a career. It's not being suggested to reduce the competition - it sounds like it is being suggested to reduce the OP's anxiety over needing to make a choice right now or having to take two different exams, and apply to two different types of programs. I can see your point that it is a good idea to begin the application process now (the application process is long and hopefully when it comes time to making a decision the person will have a better idea of what he/she wants to do.) It's definitely nice to have a few options open, but applying to both programs will become expensive and will be a difficult process.

picklebeebee said:

prettygreeneyes said:
Just curious... but what level of passion are you willing to accept? 80% 60% 51% (just over half passionate?) I think there is a difference between the unattainable and fantasy positions you mention and the real world. While there is nothing technically "wrong" with applying to both dental and optometry school, I have to wonder how committed to either profession the OP is. The careers are so completely different that I have trouble understanding how both could so strongly appeal to the same person. If I were in this position, I would find it hard to convince an admissions committee why I'm crazy and passionate for ______ (insert profession here). As other posters have mentioned, if you were accepted to both schools, you'd have to make a decision at some point. Why not figure it out before you applying? Is it possible that the OP has concerns about his/her ability to be accepted to either type of school? Is this a possible fallback? No matter what we say, the OP will do what they want, and more power to him/her. I hear dentistry is awesome these days... and optometry isn't so hot! (Read from my comments my secret plan for world domination by eliminating my competition one potential OD student at a time.... :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin: )

Don't know if I can quantify it. For me, optometry is my #1 option excluding those "fantasy choices." I assume the poster's first choice is optometry and second choice dentistry (or vice versa). Why can't he/she apply to both? If he/she doesn't get in to optometry school, does that mean they should settle for 3rd, 4th, 5th...choices?

And why take a year off to do some "serious soul searching"? If he/she decides on one over the other, the other will STILL be their 2nd option. And if they get accepted to both, one seat will be given up for someone else anyway.

Crushage said:
Don't know if I can quantify it. For me, optometry is my #1 option excluding those "fantasy choices." I assume the poster's first choice is optometry and second choice dentistry (or vice versa). Why can't he/she apply to both? If he/she doesn't get in to optometry school, does that mean they should settle for 3rd, 4th, 5th...choices?

And why take a year off to do some "serious soul searching"? If he/she decides on one over the other, the other will STILL be their 2nd option. And if they get accepted to both, one seat will be given up for someone else anyway.

You think it's a better idea to leave it up to chance and wait until tuition is payed and classes have started to figure out if this is really something interesting rather than "soul searching" before jumping into a HUGE commitment???
The reason people are suggesting waiting is because of the "second option"...I would personally not like to be accepted to one and not the other and so that was why I chose that profession. Then what...every time the "chance" profession is a little tough you would think..."man, the other profession would have been so much better"! Why risk that for the REST OF YOUR LIFE? Taking a year off from school is nothing compared to the amount of time you are actually going to be active in your profession! Choose the right one, not the by chance one.

I only applied to UMSL, but I got this vibe from the other schools I visited (ICO, NSU, SCO) too...

At the UMSL interview, they will ask you, "What would you do if you didn't get in this year?" If you say "I'll just go into dentistry," they would strongly consider rejecting you. They want the type of student who would keep trying, either with other schools or by reapplying the next year. That shows a strong desire to be an optometrist and a dedication to the field.

That's not to say that someone who has an interest in both optometry and dentistry wouldn't make a fine optometrist, but a person who knows exactly what he or she wants has an edge on the competition, for sure.

I wouldn't be surprised if the dental schools approach the situation in a similar way, though I've never spoken to any dental schools. It'd rather bite to miss out on both opportunities just because you couldn't decide on one or the other. I'm not sure how often this actually happens though.

sco1styear said:
You think it's a better idea to leave it up to chance and wait until tuition is payed and classes have started to figure out if this is really something interesting rather than "soul searching" before jumping into a HUGE commitment???
The reason people are suggesting waiting is because of the "second option"...I would personally not like to be accepted to one and not the other and so that was why I chose that profession. Then what...every time the "chance" profession is a little tough you would think..."man, the other profession would have been so much better"! Why risk that for the REST OF YOUR LIFE? Taking a year off from school is nothing compared to the amount of time you are actually going to be active in your profession! Choose the right one, not the by chance one.

Maybe he/she has already decided they both are the "right one". Plus, if they don't get accepted to their first choice then they are not necessarily going to get accepted next year or the year after. Dental school is generally tougher to get into than optometry school. Maybe it would be better to take a year off if they weren't sure but the poster even states "I like both field equally. There are some advantages and disadvantages for both field and I weighed them down to be equal." Give me one good reason not to apply to both!!!??!!

Crushage said:
Maybe he/she has already decided they both are the "right one". Plus, if they don't get accepted to their first choice then they are not necessarily going to get accepted next year or the year after. Dental school is generally tougher to get into than optometry school. Maybe it would be better to take a year off if they weren't sure but the poster even states "I like both field equally. There are some advantages and disadvantages for both field and I weighed them down to be equal." Give me one good reason not to apply to both!!!??!!

I think there's more to it then just quantitatively narrowing them down. Whatever happened to passion for a certain field?? It should be something that excites you - not something you choose just because it is practical! They might both seem interesting to this person but one surely seems more exciting than the other...
And I realize I could definitely be reading this wrong but are you implying that it's a good idea to also apply to optometry school because it will be easier to get into so that way there will still be something to do when they don't get accepted into dental? What's wrong with reapplying if you don't get in?
I

Crushage said:

:thumbup: I agree!

4Eyes said:
I only applied to UMSL, but I got this vibe from the other schools I visited (ICO, NSU, SCO) too...

At the UMSL interview, they will ask you, "What would you do if you didn't get in this year?" If you say "I'll just go into dentistry," they would strongly consider rejecting you.

......wow, an idiot would tell the truth. you must live in a little bubble. people are not that honest!!!

"And I realize I could definitely be reading this wrong but are you implying that it's a good idea to also apply to optometry school because it will be easier to get into so that way there will still be something to do when they don't get accepted into dental? What's wrong with reapplying if you don't get in?
I know I'm an exception but I had one profession in mind; optometry. "

Well good for you!!! And I'm not being sarcastic! But everyone in the world does not or have to think like you!!!

When I went to my SCCO interview, the other applicants in my group and I were joking about this. Surprisingly, Lorraine Voorhees (the dean on admissions) saw me laughing and asked me why. I told her we were brainstorming things you shouldn't do or say at your interview. She said that there are applicants that say things like oh OD school is my second choice, I actually want to be a dentist or ______(fill in a career). It sounds absurd, but it is reality (i guess some people are "idiots" and are that honest) :)

picklebeebee said:
4Eyes said:

At the UMSL interview, they will ask you, "What would you do if you didn't get in this year?" If you say "I'll just go into dentistry," they would strongly consider rejecting you.

......wow, an idiot would tell the truth. you must live in a little bubble. people are not that honest!!!

S_SEEN2020 said:
When I went to my SCCO interview, the other applicants in my group and I were joking about this. Surprisingly, Lorraine Voorhees (the dean on admissions) saw me laughing and asked me why. I told her we were brainstorming things you shouldn't do or say at your interview. She said that there are applicants that say things like oh OD school is my second choice, I actually want to be a dentist or ______(fill in a career). It sounds absurd, but it is reality (some people are "idiots" and are that honest) :)

haha....survival of the fittest.

picklebeebee said:
"And I realize I could definitely be reading this wrong but are you implying that it's a good idea to also apply to optometry school because it will be easier to get into so that way there will still be something to do when they don't get accepted into dental? What's wrong with reapplying if you don't get in?
I know I'm an exception but I had one profession in mind; optometry. "

Well good for you!!! And I'm not being sarcastic! But everyone in the world does not or have to think like you!!!

I was trying to make a point that it is ok to go after one thing and not get it on your first try, we shouldn't be terrified of it. It's happened to lots of people and we shouldn't associate not getting in the first time you apply as failure.

I'm not in a bubble and I'm not naive...but yeah there are those "idiots," and the people who conduct interviews are really good at digging the truth out anyway.

Edit: I can't type. :)

i look at it like this:

if you think you could sit in front of a dental adcom and an optometry adcom that were all in the same room and be able to convince both adcoms that you were genuinely interested in entering their field, then go ahead and apply.

but if not (99.999999% chance), then you need to figure out which way to go before you apply.

student1982,
I can tell you from my past experience, schools that have both of these professional fields will see both applications. I applied to Nova's osteopathic and optometry programs. So while many are having a hard time understanding your difficulty deciding between two fields, I completly understand. I had always been interested in optometry, but while pursuing my BS, became very interested in neurology/neuropsych. It doesn't mean you would be any less of a passionate Dr. (when you DO decide), just that you can see great possabilities in more than one field.
I was told that both programs look at the candidate on their own terms (regardless of where else you have applied). But know that your sincerity and interest in each field may be questioned-mine was questioned in my interview specifically. I'm sure honesty will get you a long way.
After interviewing with NOVA Optometry, I withdrew my Osteopathic application. I chose optometry for the lifestyle that goes with it. The hours are condusive of a great family life, while at the same time leaving you with outstanding possabilities for patient care and research. I can even lean towards the neuro/head trauma treatment aspects of the eyes.
When you finally decide where you want to be (maybe after visiting the schools, and really feeling where you belong), let that profession know when you withdraw your apps to the other school.

best of luck to you,
AlohaKnight :)
NSUCOPT 2010

Now, I didn't read the whole thread, but I'll say this anyway:
If you're questioned about it, you may want to turn the question against them.
For example:
State that you know where your true feelings are (say whichever program you're applying to here), but if the optometry schools collectively feel that you shouldn't become an optometrist, but the dentistry schools collectively feel that you shuld become a dentist, then maybe, just maybe, the admissions programs know something more than you do, and you'd take their collective advice. They are, as practicing clinicians, educators, researchers and students, more knowledgeable than you are on both the profession and the program itself.

Have the belief that schools don't have harder or easier admission requirements, just different teaching aspects or targets for their students, and therefore they need to choose the best student for that environment, an environment that you know very little about from the outside, but one which the adcom knows very much about.

They are merely trying to fill a glove, your hand may be softer than the rest, but the glove has already been made.

i had similar experiences in choosing which kind of professional school to go to. i entered college wanting to go to pharmacy school, but then i started getting an interest in optometry but never thought that i had what it took to get in. not expecting much (and not studying much lol) i took the OAT and PCAT in consecutive weekends, and made 90ish% in both. so what i decided to do (being in the same predicament in not wanting the schools to find out that i had applied to both pharmacy and optometry programs) was to apply to optometry school early and get accepted/rejected before the march deadline for pharmacy schools and apply to pharmacy school (if i didn't get into optometry school) at the last minute. that way i wouldn't have to tell optometry schools that i had applied to pharmacy school (because i hadn't ... ... ... yet). i wound up getting accepted to optometry school, so i didn't have to waste $200ish on more application fees which was good. :D

what's bad about applying that way was that it made it risky for my second choice school (in my case, pharmacy) applying SO late ... and i had to come up with twice as many recommenders because i didn't want to use the same LOR for both programs. overall i think i had to come up with 7 or 8 recommenders. i used my best recommendations for optometry, and my mediocre recommendations for pharmacy. it worked. just was stressful.