Will school match merit scholarship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

socal2019

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone has asked a pharmacy college to match the merit scholarship of another college? I don't know if this is possible but I have heard it worked for some. What is the best way to do it? through phone or email? And how was the outcome?

Here is my current situation. I got accepted to both USC and WesternU school of pharmacy, but WesternU offers me a merit scholarship that will cover half of my tuition ($100K). I was wondering if I can ask USC to match this. And let's say if USC refuses to match, do you guys still think it's worth it to go to WesternU with the scholarship? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone has asked a pharmacy college to match the merit scholarship of another college? I don't know if this is possible but I have heard it worked for some. What is the best way to do it? through phone or email? And how was the outcome?

Here is my current situation. I got accepted to both USC and WesternU school of pharmacy, but WesternU offers me a merit scholarship that will cover half of my tuition ($100K). I was wondering if I can ask USC to match this. And let's say if USC refuses to match, do you guys still think it's worth it to go to WesternU with the scholarship? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Point blank: No outside institution is bound to give you a merit scholarship match from a different university. I have done a similar proposition but it’s a merit-based scholarship that targets a veteran audience with the VA and institute of my choice (Yellow Ribbon Program).

As far as your question: Is it “worth” getting $100,000 paid towards education....What do you think?

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys,

I would still ask. Checking beats guessing.
If wouldn't just outright ask if they would "match" but I would definitely ask for something if I were you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would ask. I got scholarships from 4 dental school and I informed them all how much I was getting from each and they all increased it and ultimately chose the cheapest

go ahead and ask

and >10yrs worth of salary given to you is worth a lot

I would definitely ask, no reason not to. The school may or may not offer you the match depending on a variety of factors, including how much they want you as a student. It's not like they are going to rescind your acceptance for asking or anything, it's common for people with multiple acceptances to compare financial aid packages.

USC definitely won’t match. Why would they want to lose out on an easy $100k when they’re the premier school in SoCal and have people banging on their doors desperate to get in?

Remember, the ultimate goal of pharmacy school faculty and deans is to recruit as many students willing to pay $200k in tuition fees so that they can keep their jobs.