Will Scoring Low on PREview and CASPer Reinforce Confirmation Biases Against My Autism?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fxryker

Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Even though, according to my peer reviewers, I did an exceptional job of showing that I overcame my disorder:
At four years old, I was diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder. Physicians were unsure as to whether or not I would be able to live independently, so I received early intervention applied behavior analysis therapy. This was my first conscious exposure to a scientific practice used in a clinical setting, which I would later find to be the beginning of my desire to pursue a career in medicine... ...all my life I was told my autism would be detrimental, yet here I was providing basic life support medical care... ...from being unsure as to whether or not I would be able to live independently, to seeking a terminal degree of clinical practice, this is my desire to pursue a career in medicine. I hope my story resonates with you.
ER Tech MME:
The emergency room can be a scary place for a lot of people, and especially children. This young man was no exception, but my interaction with him stands out. I remember noticing him and his mother as I walked down a hall. They were sitting on a bench outside the trauma bay. He was visibly distraught, and was being comforted by her. I got to his level and asked what was wrong, but he didn’t acknowledge my presence. He was exhibiting self-stimulatory behavior, so as I turned to mom, she mentioned that he has autism spectrum disorder. I turned back to him and said, “Hey man, you and I aren't much different, because I have autism too.” I redirected his stimming with some cognitive behavioral therapy techniques, such as having him perform square breathing with me, which is a form of slow and methodical breathing to help stimulate the parasympathetic nervous system. I can only assume that, knowing he was not alone with his disorder, made him comfortable. He calmed down, and seemed to stay that way every time I walked by thereafter. My autism brings a unique perspective to the emergency room. I like to think fostering a neurodiverse space helps patients, and I look forward to continuing to do so as I pursue medicine.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is not uniform how scores are used, but most who responded to internal surveys are unlikely to use it as an elimination factor in screening.
Then what's ultimately the point? An elimination factor after screening? :cool:

Reactions: 1 user
Dude, I’m neuro-typical and I didn’t know how to answer most of them. I just felt like the two extremes on both ends were usually the wrong answer for preview.. I got a second quartile on Casper too (probably the fact I’m a jaded 30-something and I don’t type quickly)

Reactions: 1 user
I just wanted to say your writing is awesome, I can see why you have already received an II, you convey your lived experience very articulately!

FWIW, a disproportionate number of pathologists are on the spectrum.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users