Will someone ask for your USMLE scores after I match

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jimanderson

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering will someone ever ask what your USMLE scores are after you have gotten into the program. Will your PD mysteriously just come oneday and ask you what you got, will the fellowships care how well you did on your USMLEs or will the RRC and ACGME ever ask for your USMLE transcript. Basically will someone ever ask for your USMLE scores ever again. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Most, if not all, state licensing boards ask you to provide your USMLE scores when you apply for an independent medical licence. You only need to have passed though; no one really cares how high you scored once you've been accepted into a residency.
I didn't have to submit my USMLE scores when I applied to take my Ophthalmology Boards.
( And I doubt that you'll get a different answer on any of the other specialty forums where you posted this question).

NR117 said:
Most, if not all, state licensing boards ask you to provide your USMLE scores when you apply for an independent medical licence. You only need to have passed though; no one really cares how high you scored once you've been accepted into a residency.
I didn't have to submit my USMLE scores when I applied to take my Ophthalmology Boards.
( And I doubt that you'll get a different answer on any of the other specialty forums where you posted this question).

Don't fellowships ask for your USMLE# as part of the fellowship application? Do they see your score, or do they just see if you passed all steps?

Members don't see this ad :)
ophms said:
Don't fellowships ask for your USMLE# as part of the fellowship application? Do they see your score, or do they just see if you passed all steps?

At that stage, I don't think USMLE scores carry too much weight - most fellowship programs care more about your reference letters (esp. the one from your PD) and your OKAP scores.