Will summer school look good on the application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glowz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to take fewer credits during the year to reduce the stress.
I was thinking to take classes in summer also.
3 classes for each semester and 2 classes during the summer break.

Will dental school care?
Can all my summer study grades be on the application?

Should I take summer school?

please help me :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

glowz said:
I want to take fewer credits during the year to reduce the stress.
I was thinking to take classes in summer also.
3 classes for each semester and 2 classes during the summer break.

Will dental school care?
Can all my summer study grades be on the application?

Should I take summer school?

please help me :scared:

i don't necessarily think taking summer classes will look better. But, if you do take summer courses, you lighten your load and perhaps do better in the regular semesters. I remember on the sites schools also suggest taking full class loads to mimic the dental school life. Also getting all A's with 5 classes is much more impressive than A's with only 3.

Overall though, I think your GPA matters more. If I were you.. I'd take the summer courses, and maybe work with the lighter load.

my advisor advised me, if i want to take summer classes, i should take the general classes during the summer & take the pre-reqs & other sciences during the regular semesters. =]

Members don't see this ad :)
maisuree said:
my advisor advised me, if i want to take summer classes, i should take the general classes during the summer & take the pre-reqs & other sciences during the regular semesters. =]

I did exactly what your advisor said. take non-sense classes in the summer and science pre-req in the regular semester. Taking summer classes won't look good or bad IMHO.

It looks bad if you only take 3 courses during the year and 2 in the summer. Schools aren't stupid. They know it's easy to get good grades when you only have 3 courses to worry about. But it's better to have a high GPA than to take 5 course and get garbage grades. Just don't expect to get into Harvard (not that most people want to)

IMO, summer school isn't necessarily easier. While you're taking less number of courses, the courses last a much shorter period of time (typically 1 month). Personally, I completed 2 semesters worth of general bio within 2 months (couldn't fit it in my schedule) and I was just as busy as during the regular semester. Lectures 9 to 12 4 days a week and labs 1:30 to 4:30 4 days a week. Major exams every week and lab quizzes every week as well. The good thing is that you're able to focus just on one subject and it's easier to beat the curve due to the lower number of students enrolled. still, it's not THAT much easier. What dental schools may have problems with is if you take prereq summer courses in community colleges. If you take it at the 4 year college/university you normally attend, there really shouldn't be a problem. Just wondering, how many credits are you taking? If you want to use summer school to reduce the credit number to lets say 12 credits per semester, some schools may not like that.

My pre-health advisor tells our school that you should only 1 or 2 summer courses, if any, and it's better if they're non pre-req courses (altho labs are ok I think). The reason is that at most schools, the summer classes are easier than their semester counterparts so keep that in mind...cuz the adcoms definitely do.

I took Orgo II and a lab during last summer session and I don't think it will hurt me because they were at my 4year school and were exactly the same as during the semester. If you take all your hard pre-reqs during summer and do significantly better than classes during the year that would probably look bad. I think most people recognize that there are scheduling and financial issues that may require students to take certain summer courses, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.