Will taking the MCAT in late June hurt my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lpe71

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying this cycle and am scheduled to take the MCAT on June 4th. The problem is that I really think need more time. I’m confident I’m capable of a 520+ but I got COVID a few weeks ago and it totally derailed my ability to study leading up to the exam. I got a 516 on FL1 and I’m sure I can get it up because I haven’t really studied Organic Chemistry or P/S super thoroughly.

I will have my AMCAS ready to submit on June 1st and will likely do so to a single school to get verified as soon as possible. But if I take the MCAT on the 17th I won’t have my score in until July 19th versus July 6th if I take the exam on June 4th. I will have my secondaries pre-written so I would submit them as soon as possible.

I am really aiming for top 20 because I think I have the activities and GPA to be competitive and just need the MCAT score. Will there be a large disadvantage to taking the MCAT on June 17th instead of June 4th if I think it will boost my score, assuming I submit my primary at the same time regardless?

Members don't see this ad.

Usually, I reccomended completing the MCAT by mid-May to have a competitive cycle. June 4 would be okay. At the 17th you’re pushing it and it may just be better to wait another year.

Could you be okay? Yes. Will it be harder? Yes.

I am applying this cycle and am scheduled to take the MCAT on June 4th. The problem is that I really think need more time. I’m confident I’m capable of a 520+ but I got COVID a few weeks ago and it totally derailed my ability to study leading up to the exam. I got a 516 on FL1 and I’m sure I can get it up because I haven’t really studied Organic Chemistry or P/S super thoroughly.

I will have my AMCAS ready to submit on June 1st and will likely do so to a single school to get verified as soon as possible. But if I take the MCAT on the 17th I won’t have my score in until July 19th versus July 6th if I take the exam on June 4th. I will have my secondaries pre-written so I would submit them as soon as possible.

I am really aiming for top 20 because I think I have the activities and GPA to be competitive and just need the MCAT score. Will there be a large disadvantage to taking the MCAT on June 17th instead of June 4th if I think it will boost my score, assuming I submit my primary at the same time regardless?
How long have you been studying already? If you're mostly done studying you can take it in mid June if you're ready but you will be late and that may have an effect on your chances. Since you're aiming for a t20 I personally would recommend you take it in August and apply next cycle.