Will the applicant with the highest MCAT score always be interviewed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lexswift

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This has randomly crossed my mind. Sorry if it seems a little silly. And I definitely am not asking because I think I am going to be that applicant that gets a 527 or 528...

Will a school move heaven and earth to interview such an applicant? Let's say they get an applicant that gets a 527 but are a little weak in other areas will they still get interviewed?

I know high MCAT scores like that still get rejected but it is possible they have multiple 527s so it is not as big of a loss to them.

Do you think it is important for schools to get such high MCAT applicants or do they have better priorities?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)

Apparently I am overestimating the value of a high MCAT score then. I thought some schools would find such an applicant very desirable...
Someone must want a near perfect MCAT score in their class. Sort of like wanting a veteran in the class or a Peace Corps member.

Echoing @gyngyn - also one really doesn't need an insanely high score since once you get above a certain threshold (let's say above ~85th-90th+ percentile), the differences are so minute that the other components of the applicant's profile really play a major role.

Reactions: 1 users
Echoing @gyngyn - also one really doesn't need an insanely high score since once you get above a certain threshold (let's say above ~85th-90th+ percentile), the differences are so minute that the other components of the applicant's profile really play a major role.

I just thought like if usually the highest MCAT a school sees is usually a 36 or 37 (old scale) that getting an applicant with even a 523 (new scale) would be so rare for them that they would do everything to get an applicant to attend the school.

Reactions: 1 user
Agreed. On most metrics, MCAT scores above 40 or 520 tend to be lumped together. After a certain point, a few points increase in score does not represent a significant increase in the amount of knowledge that person has. They are all 98th-100th percentile testers; where in that range they fall makes almost no difference.

Reactions: 2 users
Apparently I am overestimating the value of a high MCAT score then. I thought some schools would find such an applicant very desirable...
Someone must want a near perfect MCAT score in their class. Sort of like wanting a veteran in the class or a Peace Corps member.
Nope.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is that?

Because the MCAT is just a metric that measures competence in the basics. If someone has a perfect score (which is rare) can you really tell if they're that different than the people who got a 98th percentile score? They'd effectively be the same and while there is a wow factor to it - the MCAT is still gonna be one of the easiest standardized exams you take in med school. You know what would really be impressive... a perfect step 1 score.

Reactions: 2 users
Because the MCAT is just a metric that measures competence in the basics. If someone has a perfect score (which is rare) can you really tell if they're that different than the people who got a 98th percentile score? They'd effectively be the same and while there is a wow factor to it - the MCAT is still gonna be one of the easiest standardized exams you take in med school. You know what would really be impressive... a perfect step 1 score.

What about perfect Step 2 and Step 3 scores? Or perfect shelf scores?

If one can get a perfect step 1 (which by most accounts is the toughest of the series), then a perfect step 2 and 3 would most likely follow.

Members don't see this ad :)
If one can get a perfect step 1 (which by most accounts is the toughest of the series), then a perfect step 2 and 3 would most likely follow.

So out of all standardized exams in medical school (including the shelfs), is Step 1 the hardest? Or does it depend on the shelf?

And is the "easiest" standardized exam in medical school (whatever it may be) harder than the MCAT?

So out of all standardized exams in medical school (including the shelfs), is Step 1 the hardest? Or does it depend on the shelf?

And is the "easiest" standardized exam in medical school (whatever it may be) harder than the MCAT?

I think it comes down to perspective. Studying and taking the MCAT was the hardest test I took (minus the biochem GRE) until I started prepping for Step 1 (shelfs included) but at that point I was I would say a better student than during UG so it felt like a similar amount of effort and nervousness went into both tests. Now since I am taking a huge break (PhD) before step 2, I may end up finding the prep for step 2 even harder than step 1 since I will be somewhat rusty.

I think it comes down to perspective. Studying and taking the MCAT was the hardest test I took (minus the biochem GRE) until I started prepping for Step 1 (shelfs included) but at that point I was I would say a better student than during UG so it felt like a similar amount of effort and nervousness went into both tests. Now since I am taking a huge break (PhD) before step 2, I may end up finding the prep for step 2 even harder than step 1 since I will be somewhat rusty.

Would you say that some of the differences in difficulty can be attributed to the type of test takers? MCAT = college students meeting prereqs, while med school exams = medical students who actually did well in the MCAT/GPA etc to get into med school in the first place. So because the latter pool has more talented students, med school exams are harder than the MCAT

Would you say that some of the differences in difficulty can be attributed to the type of test takers? MCAT = college students meeting prereqs, while med school exams = medical students who actually did well in the MCAT/GPA etc to get into med school in the first place. So because the latter pool has more talented students, med school exams are harder than the MCAT

That's quite possibly true. That coupled w/ the level of material that has to be mastered would certainly make the med school exams more difficult.

That's quite possibly true. That coupled w/ the level of material that has to be mastered would certainly make the med school exams more difficult.

I think of it this way: all med students think of preparing for step 1 via their preclinical coursework vs. most premed students don't see how their coursework is relevant to the MCAT.

Back to the subject, but a high MCAT score will definitely raise some eyebrows in ADCOM meetings. However, if you're applying to a school like TCMC or NYMC with a 520 and a 3.9 don't expect an interview because they'll think you're going to be using them as a safety. You'll likely get an interview at WashU or UChicago though.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

You'll likely get an interview at WashU
eh...
MCAT%20Distribution.jpg

GPA%20Graph.jpg

Last edited:

Interesting. What's the source on that? Also it'll be more interesting to see the applied/interviewed ratio for MCAT/GPA buckets (e.g. 40+/4.0 vs 40+/3.9 vs 37-39/4.0 etc etc)

From WashU website. That's for their MD/PhD program though, which is even more competitive I think.

I know someone who got a 42 on the old MCAT, applied to WashU, and didn't interview.

...He had already been accepted to Harvard, that's why.

So take those graphs with a grain of salt. He didn't not get invited to interview at WashU, he withdrew his application because he had an offer from his dream school already. It is possible the graphs took out people like that, but I doubt it.

(Actually, he might have interviewed at WashU, I don't remember. He definitely withdrew his app before getting an offer of admission or a rejection, and I suspect WashU would have accepted him. The point remains valid that some people who are "not interviewed" or "not accepted" fall into those categories because they got an acceptance somewhere else that they liked even more.)

Short answer: No.

Long answer: [the sound of weeping]

Reactions: 1 users
I know someone who got a 42 on the old MCAT, applied to WashU, and didn't interview.

...He had already been accepted to Harvard, that's why.
That is very unlikely because Harvard must've accepted him (after interviewing him first of course) before WashU even interviewed him. Not say that it's impossible but the timing is very odd.

Edit: I just looked up. Harvard sends out acceptances in March. So unless they did things different "back then" or he was so exceptional that they accepted him the moment they finished the interview...

Last edited:
As I have pointed out repeatedly, stats may get you to the door, but ECs get you through the door. MCAT is a single number, in a larger app. BTW, only a tiny handful of test takers end up with a 525+, or even a 520 +.

MCAT is a single number.
This has randomly crossed my mind. Sorry if it seems a little silly. And I definitely am not asking because I think I am going to be that applicant that gets a 527 or 528...

Will a school move heaven and earth to interview such an applicant? Let's say they get an applicant that gets a 527 but are a little weak in other areas will they still get interviewed?

I know high MCAT scores like that still get rejected but it is possible they have multiple 527s so it is not as big of a loss to them.

Do you think it is important for schools to get such high MCAT applicants or do they have better priorities?

If you listen to our wise residents, while a good Step I is a necessity for the competitive specialties, what they really want is someone they can work with.

At my school, the worst performers on COMLEX I ( we rarely know what our students Step I scores are; NBME doesn't report them to us) are the students at the bottom of the class. Their issues generally are poor work ethic by the time Boards roll around. TL;DR: they prepare well enough for Boards.

Occasionally, some good students surprise us with a poor showing. These tend to have been hit by a life issue late in the game. For example, one guy got wrapped up with a major family event.

I don't think med school exams are more difficult than MCAT...med schools asks you to memorize AND apply. This is different from having to know Grignard reactions or vectorial analysis. The bigger thing is that med student are assessed on more material, that they have to absorbe over a shorter period of time.

Last edited:
I could see the exception being if someone achieves a 528 or 45, they may be invited just for the sake of novelty in meeting someone like that. But otherwise, no guarantees based on any one or few metrics.

High MCAT scores actually work against applicants applying to low yield schools due to resource management based on historical trends.
o snap
low gpa high mcat life is literally hell

Medical schools can only give out so many interviews. If a candidate fits well with historical norms, an invitation is issued. There is no benefit to novelty without a good chance of results. History tells the tale of who will matriculate and who will do well. It's a lot more than MCAT score but the score is an important piece of the puzzle.

o snap
low gpa high mcat life is literally hell
Yes. Yes it is.

520 MCAT, 3.3 cGPA 3.89 sGPA reapplicant checking in here. My GPA is below the bottom 10% for most schools yet my MCAT is also above the top 10% at many schools. Am I a good applicant with some flaws, a bad applicant with an edge, or does it even out and make me just OK? Who the hell knows. I've never been able to get a consistent answer on this.

Last edited:

People are going to tell you this over and over; it's about the full picture. The sum of all of the parts. Someone has a 527 MCAT but everything else in the app is average? meh, I think they would rather take the dude that has a 516, good gpa, saved orphans from a burning building and cured MS. The point is, one strong part does not make up for other weak parts. Plus, with mcat and GPA, after a certain point it's generally diminishing returns, they don't really care about 520 vs 523 because at that point it's such minuscule differences anyway. After a certain point you've just made it to the "top" category. Who cares whether someones 98.5th percentile or 99th percentile? Same with GPA, a 3.9 vs 3.95 doesn't really make much of a difference at that point IMO. Both are in the 3.9+ category.

Yes. Yes it is.

520 MCAT, 3.3 cGPA 3.89 sGPA reapplicant checking in here. My GPA is below the bottom 10% for most schools yet my MCAT is also above the top 10% at many schools. Am I a good applicant with some flaws, a bad applicant with an edge, or does it even out and make me just OK? Who the hell knows. I've never been able to get a consistent answer on this.
Dude we're in the same boat pretty much
72 LizzyM with same mcat
Applying to 37 MD schools bc idk

Last edited:
Dude we're in the same boat pretty much
I have 520 MCAT and 3.47 cGPA (3.46 sGPA)
Applying to 37 MD schools bc idk

I had exact same stats and applied to 40 schools and got 1 MD II. ill be going to a DO school tho in august. gl.

I had exact same stats and applied to 40 schools and got 1 MD II. ill be going to a DO school tho in august. gl.

That is surprising. Where did you apply and what do you think held you back from the MD schools you applied to?

holy shet
dude what happened pls help
do you think it was your IA that screwed you over

Idk this is what he said in another thread

I have a good committee letter, definitely not stellar since I was quiet in college but was still a good student, nice, kind, interested etc. so I know that that isnt hurting me that much.
I have an IA from freshman year where i was placed on academic probation for failing Bio 100. Then retook it again sophomore and got a c-. Thats probably not helping. Ended up being a bio major, got As in upper levels.
I took a semester off for medical leave that might hurt.
I also took all of chem and physics over the summer at a school thats not my UG.
Personal statement is pretty good i think but not exceptional.

Thats all I could think of. Ill try adding 5 more of the schools you all suggested thanks!

Nah the institutional action was no big deal. It just said that I failed to meet the credit requirement my first semester and was placed on academic probation.

I think my app had a combination of things that took away from it. Failing Bio 100, then c- next year (lol). Maybe taking too many pre reqs at a different school during the summer. Maybe because I took a semester off for health issue. It might have also been something as silly as the fact that included working in the nurses office during my high school days as an EC. I had a really nice upward trend and ended up majoring in Bio and got 130 on B/B but that was not enough I guess.

Im happy to be going to my school next year, but do not like the idea of having some doors closed as a DO.

Maybe taking too many pre reqs at a different school during the summer. Maybe because I took a semester off for health issue. It might have also been something as silly as the fact that included working in the nurses office during my high school days as an EC.

Im happy to be going to my school next year, but do not like the idea of having some doors closed as a DO.

Did you take your pre reqs at a CC?

I think you just set off one too many red flags unfortunately. Maybe you should bring your case with some of the adcoms on here and they can tell you what to fix.

I think you just set off one too many red flags unfortunately. Maybe you should bring your case with some of the adcoms on here and they can tell you what to fix.

nah I took all chem and physics at a CUNY and the other prereqs at a top 25 college.

I would make a thread but it seems that no matter what the circumstance if you applied to the school and get in you are going. I'm sure i could get into an MD school if i wanted to next cycle but that's too long of a wait tbh and right now i really like emergency med which seems DO friendly. Although I also really like oncology and don't know if thats possible.

I would make a thread but it seems that no matter what the circumstance if you applied to the school and get in you are going. I'm sure i could get into an MD school if i wanted to next cycle but that's too long of a wait tbh and right now i really like emergency med which seems DO friendly. Although I also really like oncology and don't know if thats possible.
I don't think you had any problems at any DO schools right

I don't think you had any problems at any DO schools right
No not at all. Got interviews at pretty much all the places I applied to except for my home state wtf lol. I only ended up with 2 acceptances, the rest waitlists but that might be bc of interview skillzzz/