• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Will they ask for a transcript to see one class?

dimebag darrell

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2005
    Hi Everyone,

I have a question that is super anal--but I guess everyone is probably used to such questions on this site :) . I have all As and A-s (3.94 cum) in college, except for a lone B that I got in multivariable calculus that I took during senior year of high school (but I got transfer credit for in college). Will med schools ask for a transcript from that school (where I took multivariable calc)? The grade is not on my main undergrad transcript (nor is it factored into my GPA); there is simply a spot on my transcript that says "transfer credit accepted" near my AP credit and such.

Does anyone know from experience? I.e., did anyone get away without requesting transcripts from so-and-so college where they took a single summer course?

Thanks!

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
    Moderator Emeritus
    10+ Year Member
    Dec 20, 2004
    1. Attending Physician
      dimebag darrell said:
      Hi Everyone,

I have a question that is super anal--but I guess everyone is probably used to such questions on this site :) . I have all As and A-s (3.94 cum) in college, except for a lone B that I got in multivariable calculus that I took during senior year of high school (but I got transfer credit for in college). Will med schools ask for a transcript from that school (where I took multivariable calc)? The grade is not on my main undergrad transcript (nor is it factored into my GPA); there is simply a spot on my transcript that says "transfer credit accepted" near my AP credit and such.

Does anyone know from experience? I.e., did anyone get away without requesting transcripts from so-and-so college where they took a single summer course?

Thanks!

You are required to provide AMCAS with all transcripts for college and college level work. A lone B received early on will absolutely not hurt your med school aspirations. The average of med school matriculants is a 3.5, so there are lots and lots of people with B's and worse getting into med school. Just provide the transcript and relax. (Not providing a required transcript is akin to fraud).

About the Ads

coral

10+ Year Member
      5+ Year Member
      Jun 10, 2005
      San Diego
        Dude, relax, it's one B, my freshman year is littered with them but I don't expect it to hold me back :) With so many units of A's and A-'s, I really doubt one lonely B is going to drag your gpa down that much. Just send in the transcript, no one is going to take a second look at it. good luck :)

PittMedicine

Membership Revoked
        Removed
        10+ Year Member
        Nov 4, 2005
        CA
        1. Pre-Medical
          dimebag darrell said:
          Hi Everyone,

Thanks!

DIMebag is a DIMwit

:laugh:

Camillekc

10+ Year Member
          7+ Year Member
          Jun 17, 2005
          New York
            I was going to make fun of you, but everyone beat me to it. =)

So yes, you have to send in that transcript to amcas. it won't hurt you at all if you send it in, but if you don't, they'll find out and i'm going to go out on a limb here and say if it doesn't flat out stop you, which it probably will, from getting in anywhere, it's going to seriously hinder your chances, esp. since you did it intentionally.

You have an amazing gpa, do you always want to be worried someone will find out you lied? a B isn't going to hurt you.

dimebag darrell

10+ Year Member
            5+ Year Member
            Oct 31, 2005
              ti89 said:
              Also with that many credits as a senior or applying after a year off one B barely makes a dent in a GPA as you have accumulated so many credits.

Currently, as a junior, adding it in makes my cum. 3.89 instead of 3.94. I guess it seems stupid to everyone else, but it's just annoying to me since I've worked so hard in college and that was something carrying over for highschool. I obviously realize it's not a big deal and I'm well over it ;).

The only other grades that will go into my GPA that med schools will see when I apply are this semester's, and next semester's, right?

I will be abroad next semester - will my grades abroad factor in? If not, my GPA will just be my cum. now + this semester, as far as I see it.

Edit: I don't think the University where I'll be studying grades on an A, B, C.. scale, so that's why I ask.

Cheers

ti89

10+ Year Member
              Sep 2, 2004
                dimebag darrell said:
                Currently, as a junior, adding it in makes my cum. 3.89 instead of 3.94. I guess it seems stupid to everyone else, but it's just annoying to me since I've worked so hard in college and that was something carrying over for highschool. I obviously realize it's not a big deal and I'm well over it ;).

The only other grades that will go into my GPA that med schools will see when I apply are this semester's, and next semester's, right?

I will be abroad next semester - will my grades abroad factor in? If not, my GPA will just be my cum. now + this semester, as far as I see it.

Edit: I don't think the University where I'll be studying grades on an A, B, C.. scale, so that's why I ask.

Cheers

For a .05 difference you have not taken that many credits of course I'm a bit different in that I averaged 21 credits a semester. With that said if you are applying next year then only this semester and next semester grades count. I don't know about the study abroad but I'm sure someone else would.

sunnyjohn

Got Mustard?
                10+ Year Member
                5+ Year Member
                Feb 24, 2005
                In a world all my own.
                1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
                  dimebag darrell said:
                  Hi Everyone,

Thanks!

Dimebag is dead. He can't troll from beyond the grave!
                  :mad:

ti89

10+ Year Member
                  Sep 2, 2004
                    little_late_MD said:
                    Two questions:

1. Who the hell takes Calc 3 in high school?

2. What college will accept AP credit for Calc 3? Don't most schools want you taking higher-level maths at the university level?

No way you could get AP credit for calc 3 anywhere. I think the OP took the class at a college while in high school.

About the Ads
                    This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                    2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                    5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                    6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                    7. This thread is locked.