Will they ask for a transcript to see one class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dimebag darrell

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have a question that is super anal--but I guess everyone is probably used to such questions on this site :) . I have all As and A-s (3.94 cum) in college, except for a lone B that I got in multivariable calculus that I took during senior year of high school (but I got transfer credit for in college). Will med schools ask for a transcript from that school (where I took multivariable calc)? The grade is not on my main undergrad transcript (nor is it factored into my GPA); there is simply a spot on my transcript that says "transfer credit accepted" near my AP credit and such.

Does anyone know from experience? I.e., did anyone get away without requesting transcripts from so-and-so college where they took a single summer course?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

dimebag darrell said:
Hi Everyone,

I have a question that is super anal--but I guess everyone is probably used to such questions on this site :) . I have all As and A-s (3.94 cum) in college, except for a lone B that I got in multivariable calculus that I took during senior year of high school (but I got transfer credit for in college). Will med schools ask for a transcript from that school (where I took multivariable calc)? The grade is not on my main undergrad transcript (nor is it factored into my GPA); there is simply a spot on my transcript that says "transfer credit accepted" near my AP credit and such.

Does anyone know from experience? I.e., did anyone get away without requesting transcripts from so-and-so college where they took a single summer course?

Thanks!

You are required to provide AMCAS with all transcripts for college and college level work. A lone B received early on will absolutely not hurt your med school aspirations. The average of med school matriculants is a 3.5, so there are lots and lots of people with B's and worse getting into med school. Just provide the transcript and relax. (Not providing a required transcript is akin to fraud).

Wow, I cant believe someone actually posted this. Is this just to make us feel bad? I mean, honestly...

Members don't see this ad :)
Dude, relax, it's one B, my freshman year is littered with them but I don't expect it to hold me back :) With so many units of A's and A-'s, I really doubt one lonely B is going to drag your gpa down that much. Just send in the transcript, no one is going to take a second look at it. good luck :)

dimebag darrell said:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks!

DIMebag is a DIMwit

:laugh:

PittMedicine said:
DIMebag is a DIMwit

:laugh:

Hilarious.

So this course counts as "college level" even though it was taken in high school?

And geez, I'm not trying to make anyone feel bad. :confused:

Cheers

:laugh: oh no! oh no! there's a B on my transcript! whatever shall I do?! :p :smuggrin:

Rendar5 said:
:laugh: oh no! oh no! there's a B on my transcript! whatever shall I do?! :p :smuggrin:
you're worried about your B in your transcript. I have a really big fat D somewhere. :oops:

Ya my grades are holding me down (sarcasm). Not really. I promise 1 B isn't going to hurt.

I was going to make fun of you, but everyone beat me to it. =)

So yes, you have to send in that transcript to amcas. it won't hurt you at all if you send it in, but if you don't, they'll find out and i'm going to go out on a limb here and say if it doesn't flat out stop you, which it probably will, from getting in anywhere, it's going to seriously hinder your chances, esp. since you did it intentionally.

You have an amazing gpa, do you always want to be worried someone will find out you lied? a B isn't going to hurt you.

Also with that many credits as a senior or applying after a year off one B barely makes a dent in a GPA as you have accumulated so many credits.

ti89 said:
Also with that many credits as a senior or applying after a year off one B barely makes a dent in a GPA as you have accumulated so many credits.

Currently, as a junior, adding it in makes my cum. 3.89 instead of 3.94. I guess it seems stupid to everyone else, but it's just annoying to me since I've worked so hard in college and that was something carrying over for highschool. I obviously realize it's not a big deal and I'm well over it ;).

The only other grades that will go into my GPA that med schools will see when I apply are this semester's, and next semester's, right?

I will be abroad next semester - will my grades abroad factor in? If not, my GPA will just be my cum. now + this semester, as far as I see it.

Edit: I don't think the University where I'll be studying grades on an A, B, C.. scale, so that's why I ask.

Cheers

dimebag darrell said:
Currently, as a junior, adding it in makes my cum. 3.89 instead of 3.94. I guess it seems stupid to everyone else, but it's just annoying to me since I've worked so hard in college and that was something carrying over for highschool. I obviously realize it's not a big deal and I'm well over it ;).

The only other grades that will go into my GPA that med schools will see when I apply are this semester's, and next semester's, right?

I will be abroad next semester - will my grades abroad factor in? If not, my GPA will just be my cum. now + this semester, as far as I see it.

Edit: I don't think the University where I'll be studying grades on an A, B, C.. scale, so that's why I ask.

Cheers

For a .05 difference you have not taken that many credits of course I'm a bit different in that I averaged 21 credits a semester. With that said if you are applying next year then only this semester and next semester grades count. I don't know about the study abroad but I'm sure someone else would.

Don't worry dimebag darrell I'll still be your friend :D

Bah! B in Calc 3? What the hell were you doing?

dimebag darrell said:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks!

Dimebag is dead. He can't troll from beyond the grave!
:mad:

Two questions:

1. Who the hell takes Calc 3 in high school?

2. What college will accept AP credit for Calc 3? Don't most schools want you taking higher-level maths at the university level?

little_late_MD said:
Two questions:

1. Who the hell takes Calc 3 in high school?

2. What college will accept AP credit for Calc 3? Don't most schools want you taking higher-level maths at the university level?

No way you could get AP credit for calc 3 anywhere. I think the OP took the class at a college while in high school.

ti89 said:
No way you could get AP credit for calc 3 anywhere. I think the OP took the class at a college while in high school.

This is correct.