Will they know if my class was originally online?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted988749

For my writing prereq, I'm planning on doing one of them online this summer. I've read a few threads and from my judgement, I think taking summer and online class is fine for this situation. But I contacted the professor for the English class I was planning to take and was told this class was going to be online from the very beginning. So I want to ask if med school has a way of knowing if that class was originally online or not.

Members don't see this ad.

While I don’t know the answer to your question, I don’t understand why you’re asking it in the first place. Does it matter if an English class you take is online or not? I think not. Also, we’re in a pandemic so many students have finished many of their classes online and many will take others over the summer and even fall online. I think you’ll be fine with the online class in general whether they know or don’t know that’s it’s online.

Reactions: 1 user
While I don’t know the answer to your question, I don’t understand why you’re asking it in the first place. Does it matter if an English class you take is online or not? I think not. Also, we’re in a pandemic so many students have finished many of their classes online and many will take others over the summer and even fall online. I think you’ll be fine with the online class in general whether they know or don’t know that’s it’s online.
This^^^^. There is a clearinghouse that AMCAS uses for transcript verification that accurately identifies most, but not all, online classes, whether or not a class is designated as such on your transcript. So, in general, med schools know whether or not a class you have taken was online. In today's environment, however, just about all classes are online, so what's the difference right now? In other words, even classes identified as being in person are online now, so it just doesn't matter until in person classes start up again.

Members don't see this ad :)
This^^^^. There is a clearinghouse that AMCAS uses for transcript verification that accurately identifies most, but not all, online classes, whether or not a class is designated as such on your transcript. So, in general, med schools know whether or not a class you have taken was online. In today's environment, however, just about all classes are online, so what's the difference right now? In other words, even classes identified as being in person are online now, so it just doesn't matter until in person classes start up again.
That's exactly what I'm asking. Are there differences in "true" online classes and converted online classes.
In the case that my online class isn't accepted as prereq, I can have my professor argue it would have been in person. But if they deemed it unusable because it is online and it actually is online I cannot do anything about it.

That's exactly what I'm asking. Are there differences in "true" online classes and converted online classes.
In the case that my online class isn't accepted as prereq, I can have my professor argue it would have been in person. But if they deemed it unusable because it is online and it actually is online I cannot do anything about it.
Yeah -- I don't see how it can matter whether or not it WOULD have been in person if it isn't!!! Online = online; right now it's okay due to the pandemic. In three months it might not be. If the clearinghouse says your class was in person this summer, does that make it so? Do you think med schools don't know that ALL classes completed from Spring 2020 through at least this summer were online, no matter what the clearinghouse says?

Because I suspect there will be a labeling difference?

Because I suspect there will be a labeling difference?
There might be, but it just won't matter. All classes now are online, regardless of how they are labeled, and med schools know this. They are not thrilled, but they have no choice -- their classes are online now as well! Do what you have to do. Until in person classes begin again, you will be fine. You are overthinking this. Believe me, nobody is going to forget the Pandemic of 2020 in the near future. Even five years from now, people will know classes taken in the Summer of 2020 were online, regardless of how they are labeled!!!

Yeah -- I don't see how it can matter whether or not it WOULD have been in person if it isn't!!! Online = online; right now it's okay due to the pandemic. In three months it might not be. If the clearinghouse says your class was in person this summer, does that make it so? Do you think med schools don't know that ALL classes completed from Spring 2020 through at least this summer were online, no matter what the clearinghouse says?
By what you said and looking at things pessimistically, wouldn't all the classes be unusable as they are online? But what happens to those classes that normally would've been accepted that were moved. We could be optimistic and believe all classes are given a free pass in this situation, or be pessimistic and believe none of them will. The middle ground, however, is to give a pass to classes that were originally online. I'm not an adcom, but this judgment makes the most sense to me.

BUT. In this post, I'm trying to figure out if they can even figure which is true and false online. I know the professor of the online class well and I know I'm not getting some washed down version of that class. Med schools adcoms don't and I'm hoping to find a loophole.

By what you said and looking at things pessimistically, wouldn't all the classes be unusable as they are online? But what happens to those classes that normally would've been accepted that were moved. We could be optimistic and believe all classes are given a free pass in this situation, or be pessimistic and believe none of them will. The middle ground, however, is to give a pass to classes that were originally online. I'm not an adcom, but this judgment makes the most sense to me.

BUT. In this post, I'm trying to figure out if they can even figure which is true and false online. I know the professor of the online class well and I know I'm not getting some washed down version of that class. Med schools adcoms don't and I'm hoping to find a loophole.
I now understand what you’re saying and I understand you trying to cover your bases. Im still not clear on this but it sounds the English class you’re going to be taking is an online course (pandemic or not).

Regardless, to answer your pessimism, I believe this is one of those things you’ll easily be able to fix via email during the application cycle even if the worst case scenario happens (school you’re applying to doesn’t accept online pre-req and they know your pre-req was done online). Why? I would say an English pre-req is on the low end of the priority list. It’s not your GPA, the MCAT, EC activity. When you apply, just email the admissions team for the schools which require an in-person English pre-req and explain you took it via a pandemic (and any other reason you needed to take it online) and I’m sure they’ll understand.

Again, you are overthinking it. No classes from this time period will be unusable; they are ALL online. You are the only person who has obsessed on the label Many schools made the announcement when this started -- online is okay now because everything is online. People are taking these classes and are applying this coming cycle. Schools understand no one is taking classes online voluntarily now. Schools are not going to make us retake classes that we took online now when live classes come back, whether or not they are prereqs, and whether or not they are live classes that transitioned to online or they were online from the start. Again, online = online, regardless of what it is labeled.

As I said before, nobody in the future is going to forget what this year was like. I'm not an authority, but I'm in the same boat as you, all of my classes went online this Spring, and I'm not worrying, and I'm not planning on retaking any of the classes, several of which were prereqs. The only way for you to get an authoritative answer is not to solicit opinions here -- you have call every school you might apply to in the future and ask.

Last edited: