Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Will this affect my chances? Bad, good, or not-at-all?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by tavokeri9, Aug 13, 2015.

1. tavokeri9

tavokeri9 Membership Revoked
    Removed 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    So, can I take classes as a non-degree seeking student to raise my GPA? Would medical schools consider this a red flag, and wonder why I just didn't delay graduation to the normal time period - after spring? I plan to apply in June 2016.

#1 tavokeri9, Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Petrichor1

Medical Student
    absolutely you can. I have taken courses at a nearby school and I miss learning from lecture-based instruction :(. I tend to think that if even adcoms view it negatively, I don't think I would care because the activity is fun and I get to fulfill my dream of learning as much as I can of the things around me. Graduating just a semester early is really not a big deal especially with what you plan to do during that time. Your GPA is magnifico :)

hayden29 likes this.
  4. hayden29

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I think Petrichor1 made an excellent point in regards to learning as much as possible. There is nothing wrong with your GPA and taking classes will not hurt you but I wouldn't take them solely to improve your excellent GPA. Now, if you really want to learn as much as possible (which I feel most people interested in medicine do) then go for it!

#3 hayden29, Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
    piii likes this.
  5. piii

Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I know this is different, but some adcoms think that people retaking a 30 MCAT, a good score, is just arrogant.

Now, I'm not an adcom. But if I saw your good 3.76 GPA and then I saw a bunch of random classes I would question why you took them and if you were just trying to pad your stats. If you took them because you are passionate about learning, then that is cool, but it won't really boost your chances in the application cycle. Otherwise I think it would be pretty much neutral and getting your GPA up into the 3.8 range would marginally help you.

I would instead focus all your energy and time towards getting a great MCAT score. That seems much more worth your hard work and will make a meaningful difference.

6. GrapesofRath

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    By itself I'd doubt it really is a red flag but a 3.8/3.76 is not going to keep you out of any medical school alone. There are better ways to use time than to raise a 3.8 GPA as a post-grad.

Petrichor1 likes this.