Will this work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

listener23

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The chem department at my school offers 2 Biochem courses. 1 is a 400 level class for chem majors the other is a 300 level class for non majors. This class is usually given to nurses/physical therapist.

My premed advisor said its far to basic to help on the mcat.

question 1: is he overstating this and there might be mcat value in the 300 level bio chem course

Question2: could the 300 level course fulfill many med school requirements for a bio chem class (its only 3 credits)

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of people say that the MCAT biochem material (for old MCAT) is fairly basic and doesn't really even require the class at all. I'd be more worried on if the class would count for some med schools that require it...what is the exact name of both courses?

We have a similar course system at my school-one biochem course for biology/biochem majors and one for non-majors....for us, either one will fulfill a biochem requirement for med school, so it should be the same at your school

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of people say that the MCAT biochem material (for old MCAT) is fairly basic and doesn't really even require the class at all. I'd be more worried on if the class would count for some med schools that require it...what is the exact name of both courses?

The 400 level is called biological chemistry 1 the requirements are organic chemistry 1 and 2 The 300 level is called introduction to bio chemistry the requirement is the non science major organic chemistry 1 (i have the real organic chemistry 1 class done my advisers says it more than covers)

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure either would work, the title of the 300 one still sounds science-y enough for med schools