Will this work?

Started by shahzeb
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

shahzeb

Junior Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I did an ellective as a visiting student in Surgical Oncology at Northwestern Chicago.
I have a very decent evaluation which sounds just like an LoR.

What I wanna know that can I send the same evaluation to the ERAS folks to attach to my application??

Why I am askin is because it does not have a generic salutation on it so is there a chance that the ERAS guys may NOT scan it??

Please advice as I dont see any harm in having that with my application as it may improve my chances.
 
why not just ask the attending at NW to write an actual LOR? If you impressed them, perhaps a "very decent" evaluation might transform into a "quite strong" letter of recommendation.
 
the attending has refused to give me an LoR saying that for now I can only get an evaluation
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well if that attending at NU is unwilling to write you a letter of recommendation, what makes you think he'd take kindly to your sending in his evaluation of you as a letter of recommendation?

Besides ERAS won't accept an evaluation as a letter of recommendation, and I believe it's got to come from either your institution's Dean's Office (which you obviously don't have) or from the attending himself.

Good luck.
 
Seems fishy. Why would your supervisor refuse to write an LOR? Especially if his administrative staff (presuming he has one) simply needs to cut and paste the info onto some letterhead with minimal changes.

I wouldn't send it to ERAS without his express permission. You never know who will receive the "letter" and might know the author, and call to chat about it...if the writer didn't know you were using it, there might be heck to pay.