Will Trump win again???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1568470503324.png
 
I think you are wrong. I know a lot of Muslim Physicians from many countries. They own guns and fly planes. They have their own views on different issues and rarely agree on everything themselves. Muslims can and do buy guns every single day in the USA. Last time I checked the Bill of Rights was valid for every person living in the USA regardless of race, creed, gender, etc.

Better yet, imagine if one of those mass shooters who were stockpiling weapons were Muslim. I wonder how many visits from the FBI they would have had to entertain?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I bet if you polled all NRA members about how they would react to a Muslim citizen buying a gun, you would see a bit of wavering on that staunch 2nd amendment support. I could be wrong, and I would love it if I was wrong, but I don’t think I am wrong.

You think a predominantly white group of supporters of the second amendment would support taking the right away from someone based on the color of their skin or their religion?

That's an incredibly bigoted thing to say, which I would expect Bill Maher to say, not another physician.
 
I think you are wrong. I know a lot of Muslim Physicians from many countries. They own guns and fly planes. They have their own views on different issues and rarely agree on everything themselves. Muslims can and do buy guns every single day in the USA. Last time I checked the Bill of Rights was valid for every person living in the USA regardless of race, creed, gender, etc.


Concerning the race issue, the biggest one that stands out to me is the Philando Castile case where a law abiding black gun owner was shot by a cop and the NRA reeeeeallllyyy dragged their feet. One of their NRATV correspondents even tried to defend the shooting by saying that the black man being shot was carrying a small amount of marijuana in his car and therefore was carrying illegally. This is an absurd argument because A) the officer couldn’t have known about the weed and B) it wouldn’t have justified Philando Castiles murder.




Is this explicit racism? No, you could pass it off as just being cautious and waiting for the details. But the NRA has a history of jumping right into defending gun rights as soon as anything happens, to include mass shootings at schools.
 
The only reason you think that is because you've bought the anti-NRA propaganda hook, line, and sinker.

You'd be wrong. I know MANY members of the NRA. It's a prerequisite for membership at two ranges I belong to. I personally know literally dozens of people (in a state where trucks with confederate flags aren't uncommon) who are NRA members. Those who are people of color and yes, at least one Muslim, are welcomed.


This is a problem with the police, not the NRA. I totally get why black men are hesitant to exercise their rights concerning gun ownership and especially carry.

The NRA supports groups like the Pink Pistols. Look them up.

Your notion that the NRA and its members are systematically racist bigots is wrong.

The NRA didn’t help it’s diversity message when it started NRATV. Some of the content on that channel is very troubling.
 

When they NRA starts campaigning for police reform so that a black man feels safe exercising his second amendment right or lobbying for equal treatment between a white man and a Muslim stockpiling weapons then I will take them seriously as an organization defending a constitutional right. Until then they are just another way to funnel money into right wing political campaigns.
 
"
Do any of you guys with guns also use a pit bull or Rottweiler for home defense/crime deterrent? Cameras? Security doors and gates? Just curious what other measures you use.

Also would you consider giving up your guns if we had safer society like Singapore or Japan?
I hate throw the race bomb in but it has to be tossed.....homogeneous societies. It plays a significant role (same as with the discussion of health care and education) It’s why I used the UK and France as examples that have similar demographics but significantly lower gun violence
 
The NRA didn’t help it’s diversity message when it started NRATV. Some of the content on that channel is very troubling.

This one has also been an issue for me. The fear mongering on NRATV can get pretty insane. I’m an immigrant myself and am for enforcing immigration law while providing a pathway for motivated aliens of any race and socioeconomic income level to enter (I can expand more on my views but that would stray from my point. No I don’t support open borders or anything near that.), but NRATV has really tried to hammer on the “The immigrants are coming to kill and rape so buy your guns” ideas.
 
I think you are wrong. I know a lot of Muslim Physicians from many countries. They own guns and fly planes. They have their own views on different issues and rarely agree on everything themselves. Muslims can and do buy guns every single day in the USA. Last time I checked the Bill of Rights was valid for every person living in the USA regardless of race, creed, gender, etc.
That’s not what he’s saying. He’s not talking about the ability to do so but the feeling and reaction of Joe random NRA member seeing a black man or Muslim buying a gun. Those are two different things. Sure I can buy a gun but I bet the reaction of me open carrying is much different than a white man open carrying and that’s the problem
 
That’s not what he’s saying. He’s not talking about the ability to do so but the feeling and reaction of Joe random NRA member seeing a black man or Muslim buying a gun. Those are two different things. Sure I can buy a gun but I bet the reaction of me open carrying is much different than a white man open carrying and that’s the problem

Wait a second, if I'm listening to the Democrats, shouldn't I be worried more about the white dude??????
 
This one has also been an issue for me. The fear mongering on NRATV can get pretty insane. I’m an immigrant myself and am for enforcing immigration law while providing a pathway for motivated aliens of any race and socioeconomic income level to enter (I can expand more on my views but that would stray from my point. No I don’t support open borders or anything near that.), but NRATV has really tried to hammer on the “The immigrants are coming to kill and rape so buy your guns” ideas.

I think the fear mongering on CNN is much, MUCH worse. They have half of America believing that the president of the United States is a Russian puppet.

Can you cite your source on the NRATV claim you made by the way?
 
The NRA didn’t help it’s diversity message when it started NRATV. Some of the content on that channel is very troubling.

If you need your media to have "diversity messages", Nickelodeon and CNN are that-a-way.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wait a second, if I'm listening to the Democrats, shouldn't I be worried more about the white dude??????
You shouldn't need a Democrat on TV to tell you that. I don't need a stage full of politicians to tell me that if I'm at a mall or music festival I need to keep a closer eye on Billy vs Raheem. Now if I'm in South Central or West Baltimore, sure, it's a different story.
 
I think the fear mongering on CNN is much, MUCH worse. They have half of America believing that the president of the United States is a Russian puppet.

Can you cite your source on the NRATV claim you made by the way?

I'd have to go digging for video. I watched a few segments when NRATV began to see what all the hubub was about. The message was always thinly veiled but still there. There was as good compilation of them doing those sort of things out there, but I'd need to go looking.

To be clear, I don't believe the majority of the NRA membership is racist, I do believe the leadership leverages racial tensions and immigration to fuel the fear and anger of some portion of their membership as well as to try and increase sales.
 
That’s not what he’s saying. He’s not talking about the ability to do so but the feeling and reaction of Joe random NRA member seeing a black man or Muslim buying a gun. Those are two different things. Sure I can buy a gun but I bet the reaction of me open carrying is much different than a white man open carrying and that’s the problem

In my state the idea of any citizen open carrying a firearm made a lot of people nervous. This is why we must carry concealed with a license to do so.

As an owner of a lot of firearms I don’t think it is necessary to open carry an AR15 or a carbine or an AK47 in public. I don’t need to carry an “ assault weapon” to feel safe when a simple small caliber pistol is more than adequate.

So, a Muslim or a black man can carry concealed just like any white citizen. When did common sense leave this issue?

Legal gun owners are very responsible people who obey the law. You may be surprised to learn there are a lot of reasonable, moderate gun owners who recognize the issue of mass murders should be addressed. We just don’t want the solution to be worse than the problem.
 
In my state the idea of any citizen open carrying a firearm made a lot of people nervous. This is why we must carry concealed with a license to do so.

As an owner of a lot of firearms I don’t think it is necessary to open carry an AR15 or a carbine or an AK47 in public. I don’t need to carry an “ assault weapon” to feel safe when a simple small caliber pistol is more than adequate.

So, a Muslim or a black man can carry concealed just like any white citizen. When did common sense leave this issue?

Legal gun owners are very responsible people who obey the law. You may be surprised to learn there are a lot of reasonable, moderate gun owners who recognize the issue of mass murders should be addressed. We just don’t want the solution to be worse than the problem.

The question is the risk benefit of legal firearms. Might we need guns some day to resist an oppressive government? Risk=low.
Will there be firearm deaths if the public isn’t complete disarmed? Risk=100% x thousands of people.

I’m not sure how to feel about this. I own guns. I’d give them all up if everyone else did too. I think if we knew someone we cared about would be a shooting victim we would all be willing to risk giving up our guns to prevent that happening. The problem is no one expects to be a direct or indirect victim.

Hunting is far less import compared to murder and/or theoretically defending liberty against an oppressive government.

That said I don’t think there’s a legal path to repealing the second amendment. It just isn’t going to happen.
 
In my state the idea of any citizen open carrying a firearm made a lot of people nervous. This is why we must carry concealed with a license to do so.

As an owner of a lot of firearms I don’t think it is necessary to open carry an AR15 or a carbine or an AK47 in public. I don’t need to carry an “ assault weapon” to feel safe when a simple small caliber pistol is more than adequate.

So, a Muslim or a black man can carry concealed just like any white citizen. When did common sense leave this issue?

Legal gun owners are very responsible people who obey the law. You may be surprised to learn there are a lot of reasonable, moderate gun owners who recognize the issue of mass murders should be addressed. We just don’t want the solution to be worse than the problem.

Why conceal? What is the objection to mandating that all carry should be open carry? It would avoid a lot of conflict.
 
I think if we knew someone we cared about would be a shooting victim we would all be willing to risk giving up our guns to prevent that happening. The problem is no one expects to be a direct or indirect victim.

What about the flip side of this. What if you knew someone whose life was SAVED by someone with a gun. Would you conceal carry too? Arguably more defensive use of guns than offensive use...
 
smith and wesson .38 special snub nose for sale
Why conceal? What is the objection to mandating that all carry should be open carry? It would avoid a lot of conflict.

Open Carry makes a lot of non gun owners very nervous. So much so that grocery stores and Walmart have asked customers not bring in any legally permitted weapons to their stores.

Open Carry would mean many calls to police about "suspicious" looking people with a gun. I do support Open Carry but prefer Concealed Carry as a compromise to the non gun owners and liberals out there. I see no reason to walk around with an AR-15 strapped to your back to go to a grocery store.
 
"Finally, any experienced cop can tell you that, sometimes, bad people make false complaints to the police about good people. If that person has spotted your small, gray semi-automatic pistol in your exposed holster, he can maliciously and falsely call police and tell the officers that you threatened him and pointed your gun at him, an act of felony aggravated assault which can bring many years of incarceration. Because he will be able to correctly describe your gun due to your openly carrying it, his false accusation gains credibility. That could all have been avoided by simply carrying concealed.
This is why most in the gun culture recommend discreet, concealed carry. The concealed carrier has the element of surprise against the bad guys, and is much less likely to suffer an attempted “gun-grab.”
And the concealed carrier will not offend, alienate and antagonize innocent people."


 
What about the flip side of this. What if you knew someone whose life was SAVED by someone with a gun. Would you conceal carry too? Arguably more defensive use of guns than offensive use...

That’s true but I’m sure the number saved by a concealed carry citizen has to be a tiny fraction of the number of total gun deaths. Also, those people would mostly not be at risk if the aggressor was disarmed.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think the hot button issues of this election will be healthcare, global warming and gun control. The crazy left is way out there on these issues leaving me no choice but to vote for Trump.
It’s true. I can’t stand trump but ‘Medicare For All’ is an automatic disqualification unless there are details showing a good plan that isn’t really Medicare.
Last election I was disgusted that a nation of 330 million would land on either Trump or Hillary as chief executive- pathetic. It’s amazing that we may have even worse options this go round.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Defensive Gun Use in the News
A listing of just a few of the defensive gun uses making the news.
Remember, these are news stories that are usually printed because shots were fired. In the majority of attacks the criminal is stopped and the attacker flees when they discover that their intended victim is armed and able to defend themselves. These cases seldom make the news.
Shooting to stop an attack is always the least desirable option. Law abiding gun owners should keep aware of their surroundings and whenever possible try to get out of a situation which may escalate to a self defense shooting situation before it is necessary to use a deadly weapon

 
The criminals have access to guns. No law will stop them. There are too many guns in circulation. But, you can arm yourself and be prepared just in case.

After a required buy-back program, criminals wouldn’t have access to guns. The penalty for possession would just have to severe enough that the risk of having a gun is greater than the risk of not having a gun.

It might not be easy to disarm the population, but that’s a different issue than whether or not we’d be better off with an armed vs disarmed population.
 
Trump has said a lot of stupid $hit. I think Biden is trying to catch up...According to the last debate, Biden thinks no one should be in jail for a nonviolent crime. I know who my local drug dealer will be voting for...

 
Last edited:
After a required buy-back program, criminals wouldn’t have access to guns. The penalty for possession would just have to severe enough that the risk of having a gun is greater than the risk of not having a gun.

It might not be easy to disarm the population, but that’s a different issue than whether or not we’d be better off with an armed vs disarmed population.

Required buy-back? Are you sure SCOTUS will agree that is Constitutional? A BAN of future buyers of AR15s, AK47s, etc would be legal but a required buy-back is likely unconstitutional. The govt. can't force me to turn in my legally purchased firearms. That's why automatic weapons are still out there from the 1960s.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What is crazy about the lefts point of view on global warming?

I think the amount of money they want to spend is crazy.

Reposting what I wrote earlier...

Bernie's 16 Trillion Dollar Climate Deal.
"$2.3 trillion would be collected from new income tax revenues from new jobs in the renewable energy industry, among other measures." Having a plan that requires money from jobs that don't exist is 'crazy'.

Warren is much better with only wanting to spend a mere $3 Trillion on her Green Deal.
 
Last edited:
It’s true. I can’t stand trump but ‘Medicare For All’ is an automatic disqualification unless there are details showing a good plan that isn’t really Medicare.
Last election I was disgusted that a nation of 330 million would land on either Trump or Hillary as chief executive- pathetic. It’s amazing that we may have even worse options this go round.
I don't think Joe Biden is a terrible option, although he is a gaffe machine, but the problem is for him to really have a slam dunk chance against Trump, he'll have to team up with Warren or Harris. I think Warren is more genuine than Harris, but yes, some of her politics are too far left for even a Democrat like myself, but in this current climate, he doesn't have a chance of winning without one of the two.
 
Last edited:
Robert Francis O'Rourke just got Pres Trump re elected. The media will pound his gun confiscation sound bite, mostly Fox. He just let the gun confiscation cat out of the bag for the Democrats . That will really light a fire under Pres Trumps base. You never want to fire up your opponents base in an election.
That was a big mistake. I was listening to a podcast and the host pointed out that he commended him because it showed his honesty, but at the same time, it was a huge political mistake. Politicians tell you 3 things: 1) some thing honest (which Beta did) 2) the truth (like when Mondale said he'd raise taxes 3) B.S. (Mexico is going pay for a wall)

I don't think Beto ever really had a solid chance at the nomination but he certainly didn't help himself politically by being honest.
 
I don't think Joe Biden is a terrible option, although he is a gaffe machine, but the problem is for him to really have a slam dunk chance against Trump, he'll have to team up with Warren or Harris. I think Warren is more genuine than Harris, but yes, some of her politics are too far right for even a Democrat like myself, but in this current climate, he doesn't have a chance of winning without one of the two.

Too far right or left?
 
After a required buy-back program, criminals wouldn’t have access to guns. The penalty for possession would just have to severe enough that the risk of having a gun is greater than the risk of not having a gun.

It might not be easy to disarm the population, but that’s a different issue than whether or not we’d be better off with an armed vs disarmed population.
The answer is in the graph I posted earlier. Less guns = less gun violence, but I'm a realist who knows that won't happen. What I don't understand is the push back to even "Fine. You can have your guns but you must be part of a registry." Since you're a law abiding gun owner, you shouldn't have anything to worry about, but if your gun is involved in any sort of illegal activity, you need to be held responsible.....you know....like we do CARS.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.