Will trumps immigrant ban be bad for pathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pathstudent

Sound Kapital
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will this reduce the number of FMGs in US pathology programs. Will this make us grads have to gross harder to make up for the workload? Will salaries go up without non-English speaking pathologists that are forced to take any job?

For the record I am appalled by trump and his ban.

Members don't see this ad.

Will this reduce the number of FMGs in US pathology programs. Will this make us grads have to gross harder to make up for the workload? Will salaries go up without non-English speaking pathologists that are forced to take any job?

For the record I am appalled by trump and his ban.

Why are you appalled? He campaigned on it and said he would do it.

Reactions: 1 user
Dare I say it might be a good thing for pathology...though it is not a good thing for the USA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Were you appalled when Obama banned iraqis for 6 months in 2011?

Seems like this is a temporary ban against a few additional countries until we can get vetting systems in place so that we don't have Nice like killing sprees.

I doubt fmgs will be affected. However I would like to see Trump reduce funding for the subsidy of ivory tower residency programs. Might put some market pressure back on Big Academia so they don't overtrain so much. (Might also have them actually do productive work like the rest of us)

Were you appalled when Obama banned iraqis for 6 months in 2011?

Seems like this is a temporary ban against a few additional countries until we can get vetting systems in place so that we don't have Nice like killing sprees.

I doubt fmgs will be affected. However I would like to see Trump reduce funding for the subsidy of ivory tower residency programs. Might put some market pressure back on Big Academia so they don't overtrain so much. (Might also have them actually do productive work like the rest of us)

If it were Hillary that issued that executive order, the media and the left would praise her as a "hero" for protecting America.

They continue to make themselves irrelevant, their phony outrage and hysteria is bogus.

Yep. The biased US media has come completely unhinged. Obama does a 6 month ban and is applaudedand Trump does a 2 month ban and the media acts as if he is a war criminal

How many Trump threads does this forum need?

Reactions: 1 users
Yep. The biased US media has come completely unhinged. Obama does a 6 month ban and is applaudedand Trump does a 2 month ban and the media acts as if he is a war criminal

No offense, but comparing Obama's ban on issuing immigration visas for six months (limited to Iraq) to Trumps wholesale attempt to ban/expatriate/leave in travel limbo ANYONE from those countries (including, as initially described by the WH, LEGAL PERMANENT RESIDENTS OF THE US that hold green cards), as well as visitors/travelers, shows your complete ignorance of the issue.

Reactions: 4 users
No offense, but comparing Obama's ban on issuing immigration visas for six months (limited to Iraq) to Trumps wholesale attempt to ban/expatriate/leave in travel limbo ANYONE from those countries (including, as initially described by the WH, LEGAL PERMANENT RESIDENTS OF THE US that hold green cards), as well as visitors/travelers, shows your complete ignorance of the issue.

If the roles were reversed, you would be saying "No offense, but comparing Obama's ban of 2 months versus Trump's of 6 months, which already included Trump's terror listed countries" shows your complete ignorance of the issue.

Unfortunately you have just exposed yourself as a partisan hack. It happens every election. One side does it, some get angry. The other does something similar next time and the other side gets angry.

If the roles were reversed, you would be saying "No offense, but comparing Obama's ban of 2 months versus Trump's of 6 months, which already included Trump's terror listed countries" shows your complete ignorance of the issue.

Unfortunately you have just exposed yourself as a partisan hack. It happens every election. One side does it, some get angry. The other does something similar next time and the other side gets angry.

Really? A partisan hack? Maybe you should tell me more about my intentions and beliefs. I did not such thing for you, other than point out your disdain for facts.

Fact 1: Obama acted on the request of the intelligence community, in response to a specific threat.
Fact 2: Obama limited the action only to the delay in processing of permits for refugees. During that time, the process was reviewed and vetted.
Fact 3: Trump acted on his own, in spite of the intelligence community telling him this is a bad idea.
Fact 4: Trump's intended policy was to stop anyone from these countries from traveling to the US (not a ban on providing immigration permits, as what Obama did). That included those here as permanent residents. That means, if you are from one of these countries and are a US resident, and went on vacation to Mexico, they didn't let you on your flight home (or at least caused severe problems ALREADY for these people).

4 judges have already reviewed this order and found it to be unconstitutional.

Maybe try getting information from sources outside of Trump's Twitter feed?

Reactions: 4 users
Of course, Trump will protect your salary and job market. This is his biggest issue, this is why he became president.
Your leadership and regular pathologists showing nothing but ignorance and do not trying to protect themselves in any way but Trump will step in and fight for you.

Not specifically in pathology, but I already have colleagues from medical school that are feeling the burn from this and are definitely cancelling any vacations out of the country.

Don't know that it will affect pathology unless someone in your practice was unlucky enough to be abroad when the bomb dropped but you may have some cranky colleagues for a few months when they have to skip the Caribbean vacay.

And if Clinton had done this, I'd be griping at her too, particularly if she'd also ignored all the countries that actually had their citizens commit terror attacks on our soil. I really don't think our Iranian ED doc was going to strap himself with explosives and yell Allah ackbar any time in the near future.

Members don't see this ad :)
It turns out it will definitely be bad. I read that 10,000s of FMG us docs could be made ineligible by the ban. On the same day I read that patients treated by FMG docs have mortality. http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/875356

That idea that FMGs are sub US docs is false according to this. Plus we also know that a disproportionate number of the guiding lights in pathology are FMGs.

It turns out it will definitely be bad. I read that 10,000s of FMG us docs could be made ineligible by the ban. On the same day I read that patients treated by FMG docs have mortality. http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/875356

That idea that FMGs are sub US docs is false according to this. Plus we also know that a disproportionate number of the guiding lights in pathology are FMGs.

Thnk about it most of the aothors of Robbins are FMGs, Odze is an FMG, Kurman is an FMG, Rosai is an FMG, Crum is an FMG, Pathology would be far worse off without FMGs. It's time to dump ****in trump. He would kill pathology.

Thnk about it most of the aothors of Robbins are FMGs, Odze is an FMG, Kurman is an FMG, Rosai is an FMG, Crum is an FMG, Pathology would be far worse off without FMGs. It's time to dump ****in trump. He would kill pathology.
Abul abbas is an FMG, the chair of university of Chicago is an FMG. Almost all the leaders of pathology are FMGs, It is time we stand up to trump and say FUUUUCK YOU

Abul abbas is an FMG, the chair of university of Chicago is an FMG. Almost all the leaders of pathology are FMGs, It is time we stand up to trump and say FUUUUCK YOU

I am not sure how any of this applies to 3 months of travel restrictions for 7 particular countries with a high percentage of radical terrorists/Sharians who are non citizens until we can get our vetting improved. I recommend to turn off your fake news as it seems to be triggering the extremes.

I am not sure how any of this applies to 3 months of travel restrictions for 7 particular countries with a high percentage of radical terrorists/Sharians who are non citizens until we can get our vetting improved. I recommend to turn off your fake news as it seems to be triggering the extremes.

I keep hearing this, but these people were all vetted. No one was just casually entering the US from these countries. It isn't like we didn't know there were risks from these countries before, hence why Trump is touting he's using the same list as the Obama administration. And not letting in refugees makes zero sense - they're vetted far more extremely than any other entrants to the US, we're basically only taking women and children (no single males), and we were taking essentially a handful a year. Plus, WE choose who we take as refugees, refugees never get to choose what country they get to go to. We have always done so. They are always vetted very carefully before we allow them. The Trump administration has given zero indication as to what "extreme vetting" even means. He sells fear, and people buy it. Facts are more powerful than fear.

I keep hearing this, but these people were all vetted. No one was just casually entering the US from these countries. It isn't like we didn't know there were risks from these countries before, hence why Trump is touting he's using the same list as the Obama administration. And not letting in refugees makes zero sense - they're vetted far more extremely than any other entrants to the US, we're basically only taking women and children (no single males), and we were taking essentially a handful a year. Plus, WE choose who we take as refugees, refugees never get to choose what country they get to go to. We have always done so. They are always vetted very carefully before we allow them. The Trump administration has given zero indication as to what "extreme vetting" even means. He sells fear, and people buy it. Facts are more powerful than fear.

Given what we have seen both in this country and in other Western countries, I don't think "fear" is necessarily irrational. We also are beginning to see enclaves in Western Europe where disregard for western civilization and the importation of Sharia is beginning to take effect. One can argue that parts of Michigan are headed down that road already.

"One can argue that parts of Michigan are headed down that road already."

Only people who think "There are a lot of Muslims in Dearborn" means "Dearborn is under Sharia Law."

Reactions: 3 users
"Heavily vetted refugees" puts us in a way different category as "geographically contiguous area that's dealing with a panicked mass of millions of people flooding in all directions". I lived above a Syrian restaurant owner in Brooklyn. He didn't seem to want to do anything other than give me free falafel when I looked particularly pathetic at the end of a surgery day, and at one point punched a guy in the head that was trying to steal a bike out of the lobby of our building (Brooklyn). Hardly terrifying stuff. Many of my med school colleagues were Iranian. I'm more worried about the violent separatist types mistaking my husband for a furrener since he's of an off white skin tone.

I've been near Dearborn. Good food. No one demanded I cover my hair.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.