USMLE Will we get questions like these on Step 1??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mymembernames

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
upload_2017-2-17_9-21-38.png

Will we get questions like these on Step 1??

Members don't see this ad.

Possibly, but this question seems a bit too easy. It's just a graph interpretation. I would imagine a Step 1 question would make you read the graph, and then ask you about something secondary to the interpretation you would have to make.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like we need more info... what's the muscle length at preload 100g?

Or maybe the answer is zero cuz 100g seems like a pretty high preload.

I assumed the line x represented active tension, therefore I thought 150g. Is there an explanation somewhere near the graph?

Preload equals passive tension, or the "stretching force" applied to the muscle - represented by line Z. Active tension is represented by line Y. Total tension is the sum of active tension and passive tension, represented by line X. The question wants to know what the active tension would be at a preload of 100g. So all you have to do is find the length where passive tension = 100g, and then find the active tension at the same length. To me it looks like that length is about 33cm, which corresponds to an active tension of somewhere between 50 and 75g.

Reactions: 2 users
Preload equals passive tension, or the "stretching force" applied to the muscle - represented by line Z. Active tension is represented by line Y. Total tension is the sum of active tension and passive tension, represented by line X. The question wants to know what the active tension would be at a preload of 100g. So all you have to do is find the length where passive tension = 100g, and then find the active tension at the same length. To me it looks like that length is about 33cm, which corresponds to an active tension of somewhere between 50 and 75g.

Perfect!
I need to take physiology lessons from you man! Where did you learn physiology from for step 1?
I've done kaplan physio but that was a few months ago so by now it's all messed up in my head. Will be revising it soon once I get to that point in Uworld.

Thanks for the explanation :)

Perfect!
I need to take physiology lessons from you man! Where did you learn physiology from for step 1?
I've done kaplan physio but that was a few months ago so by now it's all messed up in my head. Will be revising it soon once I get to that point in Uworld.

Thanks for the explanation :)
Haha well I saw that question in the Kaplan Qbank, so I pretty much just gave you the explanation that they gave!

But for physiology, the absolute best way to learn it is to read Physiology by Costanzo. Very good conceptual explanations. But if you don't have a lot of time to read that, the questions in BRS Physiology are very good. If you have time, you should read BRS and do all of the questions in there because that will help you nail down your weak points and solidify the concepts. But if you are crunched for time, questions > reading. I would recommend the cardio, renal and endocrine chapters especially. Otherwise, just doing as many physio questions as you can is going to help the most.

Reactions: 1 users
Haha well I saw that question in the Kaplan Qbank, so I pretty much just gave you the explanation that they gave!

But for physiology, the absolute best way to learn it is to read Physiology by Costanzo. Very good conceptual explanations. But if you don't have a lot of time to read that, the questions in BRS Physiology are very good. If you have time, you should read BRS and do all of the questions in there because that will help you nail down your weak points and solidify the concepts. But if you are crunched for time, questions > reading. I would recommend the cardio, renal and endocrine chapters especially. Otherwise, just doing as many physio questions as you can is going to help the most.

Thanks, I will definitely take your advice and do BRS physio (no time for big costanzo).

Good luck! :)

Reactions: 1 user
One word answer- absolutely

But they will be weirdly drawn and therefore "look" harder.
Just remember the basics and don't be swayed.

Took my test one week ago - did not get any questions like this. Although I got some questions on cardio physio.

Reactions: 1 user