Will you be my Electronic-EM Mentor Please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bad virus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well hello to everyone in this part of the forum. I was wondering if any of you would like to take a diligent yet naive first year under your wing and just give him randome advice on his way through school?

As I said, I am a first year and I am pretty hard working. As of right now, I am seriously interested in EM or Pediatrics (who knows maybe I will do both). I will seek out a mentor at my school, but I also wanted someone from somewhere else just to get a different perspective.

Thank you in advance.

Job qualifications: Just be willing to give some advice on a question here or there every once in a while and maybe drop some pearls of wisdom on me as you see fit.

Members don't see this ad.

Actually there are a lot of EM attendings on this forum and the quality of the advice is really quite good. Everyone kind of steps in and out so a formal mentoring relationship would be tough but if you post the questions you come up with on the board here you'll get good answers and you and everyone else will benefit from the discussions they generate. I always felt that students never learn more than from watching two attendings disagree. Welcome aboard.

Well hello to everyone in this part of the forum. I was wondering if any of you would like to take a diligent yet naive first year under your wing and just give him randome advice on his way through school?

As I said, I am a first year and I am pretty hard working. As of right now, I am seriously interested in EM or Pediatrics (who knows maybe I will do both). I will seek out a mentor at my school, but I also wanted someone from somewhere else just to get a different perspective.

Thank you in advance.

Job qualifications: Just be willing to give some advice on a question here or there every once in a while and maybe drop some pearls of wisdom on me as you see fit.
Take a look at the EM FAQ (top of the forum). SDN has a great search function, which will give you a place to start if you have quick, general questions. As docB said, there's a number of regular contributors in this forum, in all stages of training, so you should be able to find help here for any point along your path. Also, if you're actually in Albuquerque, then you have access to a very reputable program, so it's good you're taking advantage of the flesh-and-blood resources there, too.

Lastly, the SDN Peds forum (a little further down the main page) also happens to have a number of very good contributors (e.g. OBP), so take a look at their forum too.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I always felt that students never learn more than from watching two attendings disagree. Welcome aboard.

I disagree completely! How could you possible think such a thing? The literature clearly shows that you're wrong.

Take care,
Jeff <- just trying to do my part

Take a look at the EM FAQ (top of the forum). SDN has a great search function, which will give you a place to start if you have quick, general questions. As docB said, there's a number of regular contributors in this forum, in all stages of training, so you should be able to find help here for any point along your path. Also, if you're actually in Albuquerque, then you have access to a very reputable program, so it's good you're taking advantage of the flesh-and-blood resources there, too.

Lastly, the SDN Peds forum (a little further down the main page) also happens to have a number of very good contributors (e.g. OBP), so take a look at their forum too.

Good luck.

First off, thanks for the replies. Also someone volunteered for the position to which I am very grateful.

I am also curious about the stuff in red. Everyone keeps telling me this. I am just curious to see what makes a reputable program reputable. Also what makes EM at UNMH so good. Ofcourse the attendings here are gonna tell me it's the best, but I wanted to hear why anyone else thinks it is a good program.

For me its a good program because I love living here and everyone I know lives here. It's home.

Thank you and all the best.

...I am also curious about the stuff in red. Everyone keeps telling me this. I am just curious to see what makes a reputable program reputable. Also what makes EM at UNMH so good. Ofcourse the attendings here are gonna tell me it's the best, but I wanted to hear why anyone else thinks it is a good program.

For me its a good program because I love living here and everyone I know lives here. It's home.

Thank you and all the best.
Well, the plain and simple answer is that the US SW is the best place in the country, nay, the world, and therefore all good things come from there. :laugh:

Seriously, just I'm repeating what I've been told as a med student: UNM has a good rep. For slightly more informed opinions, check out the residency review thread. Maybe a UNM resident will see this thread and comment...