Will you dispense syringes no questions asked?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Would you sell syringes without a prescription if your state law allows it?

• Yes, no limits on number

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • Yes, with limits on number (ex. whole boxes of 100)

Votes: 55 41.0%
  • No

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • Undecided

Votes: 8 6.0%

• Total voters
Honestly I don't see what the big deal is- it's none of my business what they use the needles for. I leave it to the cops to bust them.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
First, in response to questions and comments

1) I have been a tech at CVS pharmacy (in Palm Beach County, Florida, as mentioned) for just over 3 years now.
2) Everything has to do with natural selection because everything, every single solitary thing is a part of nature. Humans and everything they do is a process of the evolution of the planet. We are all a part of the same natural system and everything is interlinked.
3) As far as I know, Humalog is a C6 product and cannot be sold OTC in any state. So far as I've needed to check, the only C7 insulins are Humulin and Novolin (vials, not pens).

Second, a detailed response and further clarification of my previous post.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for controling communicable disease where possible, but the fact is that we currently have a very mangled, retrofitted, chaotic, jumbled, unwieldy, and otherwise complicated system for EVERYTHING in this country. And such a system provides countless holes and nooks and hiding places for the things that the system itself is meant to control. On the one hand, people with a legitimate medical need to use injected medications; insulin, B-12, etc. should not be denied the equipment they require to administer their doses. But on the other hand, people sufficiently lacking in scruples should not be allowed to take advantage of a system meant for people with medical needs to further the purpose of taking harmful, illicit drugs. Some are willing to compromise or meet half way. I say, Why? Sure it may take a little work on the part of both caregivers and those with the actual medical need, but the fact of their condition means they have to exert extra effort to get along as well as those of us without it. Probably the simplest solution would be to make syringes a C6 product, require prescriptions at the national level. A person with diabetes, even if using OTC insulin, doesn't diagnose themselves and determine their own dose. The list of examples provided by sdn1977 are all prescription products last I checked, so they are not being provided without doctor authorization. Is it so hard to make a doctor have to write for the syringes as well as the product? And before crying out about the inconvenience to patients if they run out of syringes on a weekend and can't contact their doctor, well that's where pre-planning comes in. If it's Thursday, and you have 10 syringes left and you inject 3 times per day, expect to run out on the weekend and take appropriate steps to ensure an un-interupted supply, just like with any medication. What I'm saying, is that the solution to the problem of both people using syringes for illicit purposes and the problem of un-steralized needles is to prevent the wrong people from EVER getting syringes, no exceptions. And I don't want to hear anything about how "it can't be done, the problem is too widespread" The only thing lacking is determination by ALL parties involved, Doctors, Pharmacists, Patients, Lawmakers and Law Enforcers CAN make a difference if they all work with eachother.

I've said all I can think of on the matter. I welcome and encourage any and all questions, comments, criticisms, and alternate viewpoints but reserve the right to cross-examine and provide counter-examples of my own.

"Do not seek the Great Integrity or try to understand it, but open yourself to it and allow yourself to understand"

First, in response to questions and comments

1) I have been a tech at CVS pharmacy (in Palm Beach County, Florida, as mentioned) for just over 3 years now.
2) Everything has to do with natural selection because everything, every single solitary thing is a part of nature. Humans and everything they do is a process of the evolution of the planet. We are all a part of the same natural system and everything is interlinked.
3) As far as I know, Humalog is a C6 product and cannot be sold OTC in any state. So far as I've needed to check, the only C7 insulins are Humulin and Novolin (vials, not pens).

Being interlinked is very different from natural selection. Natural selection is the main theory of the evolution of organisms, not the planet. Sure, the sun is cooling and the Earth may not be here in a few billion years, but planetary and organismic evolution are very different.
Natural selection does not incorporate artificial substances like drugs, preservatives. These items are man made, and it is man who controls them.

Members don't see this ad :)
not all diabetics are currently being seen by a physician. Hence the need for the R and the NPH to be OTC.

Syringes used to be prescription "devices". We are moving FORWARD, not backward (with the exception of PSE:smuggrin:).

Fortunately, the current political & professional thinking is to provide easier access to clean needles & carry on concurrent education with regard to drug abuse.

No amount of "policing" efforts on the part of pharmacy will diminsh the access to illegal drugs - injectable or otherwise (it hasn't in 50 years). But - we might have significant impact on the public health if we lessened the numbers of used & discarded needles lying around.

Seriously - doctors don't care about syringe rxs. We don't even get a dr ok - we just put them on rx with prn refills for insurance purposes. From their point of view - the pt can get as many as they want. My husband gives a few 1ml syringes after a dental procedure occassionally to irrigate with.

I'd love to tell you that drs write the rxs for the mtx, but more often than not...they don't. I have to ask if the pt has syringes to go with that. Its just not on their radar because they know we can take care of it....and we do.

midknight - have you never, ever been called out of town suddenly & left most of your stuff at home? I've got diabetics who fly all over the country & will leave their stuff in a hotel & find themselves in a different city. Or, their luggage got misdirected or the briefcase was left in the cab. Actually - all that just happened to my daughter last week...:( (fortunately, shes not diabetic) They just go & buy their insulin & some syringes. When my dad died, I up & left within 1 hour of hearing the news of his last illness & left without everything but the clothes I had on. My husband brought his Enbrel a day later, but the needle broke off the pfs - I went to the pharmacy & bought a bag of syringes to draw up the fluid. As pharmacists, our job is to help these folks who still need the drugs & devices to maintain their health. Sometimes, I know I'm giving them to someone whose purpose is not so noble - just as about 1/2 the # of lortab rxs I fill per week. No difference. My point is - there will always be an exception & I will probably be the one to make it (or my husband, or a podiatrist, etc..)

Of course, you're welcome to your opinion....thats what makes the world go round. But, as far as drug diversion & efforts toward reducing that, we are moving toward more education & providing better resources (clean needles, drug disposal containers) rather than policing (with the exception of PSE...but that was a political jumble which did not have its roots in the medical community). There are certainly those within the profession who don't believe in efforts like these, Plan B, immunizations or any of the many other controversial subjects that are part of the profession now. Each, like you has a valid opinion but, these are evolving subjects & good topics for debate.

btw....CA doesn't have C6 or C7 drugs....good thing I don't work in FL!

I now work in a state where prescription is required for syringes. When I worked in a state where it was not required, I followed the precise algorythm called "gut instinct". Basically, if someone comes in, slurring words and it is way past midnight - kick them out. If someone who is there every couple months getting syringes for their diabetic cat, and sometimes insulin, and often cat food - I have no problem giving them a box or however many they need. If the person is somewhere in between, then it's based on my perception of them (same use of judgement as with sudafed, it's easy to tell someone who has been using meth for a while). Generally, if you ask about long needle or short needle and how many cc's and they say they don't care, it's suspicious. If they are buying for themselves, they would know what they prefer or at least the color of the box they come in. If they say they are buying for someone else, they would generally have clear instructions OR offer to call that person, because the last thing anyone wants to do is make a run to return the needles and get something else. Many other little things like that. If in doubt - probe, if still in doubt after that - deny. Because if someone finds used syringes with drug residue in your parking lot and traces the package to you - you can be charged for not using the "reasonable doubt" clause present in the state regulations (and I have yet to see one without some such language).

My pharmacists used to freely distribute needles to patients, until we found a bloody needle in the ladies bathroom sink, and then a few days later, the maintenance guys found 3 more in the bushes outside of the building.

I have no hesitation selling needles to a junkie, for all the reasons stated previously. However, I cannot trust a junkie to be considerate enough to dispose of their needles properly. When the safety of innocent people is jeapordized, that is where I draw the line.

I have a few more years until I become a pharmacist, but as far as I'm concerned now, I will exercise my right to say "no" whenever I deem it necessary.

I sell syringes to pretty much anyone. I think the only time I'd balk or question them is if there were children along or if they were obviously high and driving. There are plenty of things I'm uncomfortable selling (like cigarettes which my big box pharmacy sells), but I'm not going to change anyone's usage of these items in a 2 minute interaction. When it comes to syringes, I'd rather them be using clean ones then spreading hepatitis and AIDS around. I really don't even want to hear their ridiculous stories, though I do find it amusing when they ask for 100cc syringes. Our overnight pharmacist had someone grab a box of lancets and come up and ask for syringes too. He doubted that the guy was actually diabetic, but sold the syringes anyway. Five minutes later, the manager brings the box of lancets back. The guy had returned them on his way out. The hoops people will jump through to get what they want...

My city has a free Sharps container exchange program. We are a drop off site which means we take back (sealed only) Sharps containers and hand out free ones. The city decided they didn't want any in the trash, and arranged it so that several pharmacies here are exchange sites and we are reiumbursed for the cost of the new containers. They don't even have to have a full one to get an empty one. I need to be better about asking people who are buying syringes if they need one. Usually I only give them out if they ask.

they gonna shoot up either way. give them the syringes

they get aids, i pay for their meds with my taxes. i rather they pay for their syringes and leave my taxes alone.

ditto!!!

1200 bucks out of my first pharmacist paycheck to pay for dshs babies??? disclaimer: i have a mother whos a social worker, and although there are some ppl who truely need it, most of the ppl on state aid are abusers of that system.. we've all seen it.../end offtopic rant

i dont question anyone. ive learned the difference (diabetics usually do buy in 100 pack boxes, why not, junkies buy in 10 packs).. a pharmacist i worked with said when she was younger, they used to see how much they could get for a 10 pack.. said most she ever got was 7 bucks.. and that was back in 1970.. hehe.. now i admit thats a little cruel.. but funny

the only thing id worry about, and this is something that same pharmacist mentioned happened at her newer location.. someone OD'd in the bathroom.. bought the syringes then shot up.. yikes!

i giggle (internally) when i hear the "i need a 10 pack of diabetic syringes".. but its a public health issue... plain and simple... not to mention the abcesses dirty needles can cause.. eww.. ive seen those.. nasssty

My personal qualm, honestly is having people lie to me. These clowns who ask for 200 CC insulin syringes for their grandma... well, how stupid do they think I am? If they made up something that sounded legitimate, I'd sell to them. I know, it sounds twisted, but I can't really come up with a better guideline.

In that case, I asked the guy how many units his grandma used, and he had no idea, and I urged him to find out so that we could get the right syringes. Predictably, he didn't want to find out and grumbled and stalked off. Am I ethically required to shrug when I know that creepy people are lying to me? Is it silly of me to make it an issue of human decency?

I used to sell them but after seeing used syringes in the parking lot/trash can after work... I do due diligence now always make sure active Rx for insulin/vit b shot/ etc and is due for a refill.

I'll only do it if they don't try to bull**** me. Just ask me for needles and I'll give it to you. Hell, if somebody came up to me and told me it was for heroin, I'd sell it to em because they were honest. Tell me it's for your grandma and I'll start asking questions...what gauge....what type of insulin...what volume. Treat me like I'm naive and you get served.
So my answer is yes, conditionally.

I never understood how the gravelly voiced, obvious addicts believe that it's not totally obvious to everyone around them.

They're a walking Jerry Springer show, and they expect us to believe the grandma schtick?

And why always grandmas?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've switched to Human/NPH insulin with otc syringes when my scripts run out on humalog and lantus. I've also picked up otc insulins and syringes during a trip where forgot insulin. I'm really glad the pharmacist didn't tell me to get lost. People do occasionally need syringes for insulin and, in some cases, a 10 pack might be enough.

Granted, for the most part, people buying 10 packs are probably going to inject illicit drugs. Will you stop them from injecting by refusing the sale? Are you stopping illicit drug use or are you contributing to the spread of disease through dirty needles? That's the real question, the question that matters.

I don't have the answer, but I think the safer choice is to sell the 10 pack of needles.

Last edited:
Well I don't think you can stop a heroin addict from injecting whether it be a clean or dirty syringe. Might as well influence them to cut down on spreading blood borne diseases by selling a $3 pack of syringes.

As I have said before, if I could sell them needles without having to actually see them and listen to their bulls*** stories, I would be happy to.

Reactions: 3 users
Can't you just cut them off and be like, "you don't have to explain, just tell me how many syringes you need"?

I'd still have to look at them.

Are you stopping illicit drug use or are you contributing to the spread of disease through dirty needles? That's the real question, the question that matters.

I don't have the answer, but I think the safer choice is to sell the 10 pack of needles.

Thankfully, there are lots of folks researching this question. Several studies have shown that pharmacy nonprescription sales of syringes has reduced needle sharing among injection drug users, reducing the risk of HIV and HCV infections. This review article is a good summary of the data: http://www.japha.org/article/S1544-3191(15)30566-5/abstract

Thankfully, there are lots of folks researching this question. Several studies have shown that pharmacy nonprescription sales of syringes has reduced needle sharing among injection drug users, reducing the risk of HIV and HCV infections. This review article is a good summary of the data: http://www.japha.org/article/S1544-3191(15)30566-5/abstract
But how to prevent the dirty needles in the parking lot? I wouldn't mind selling them if we required them to bring back their used needles in exchange. Maybe they could get a rebate on new needles for each dirty one they bring back. It would be almost like the quarter in the carts at Aldi.

Reactions: 1 user
Ive heard of only selling them in the drive thru. Keeps them out of bathrooms/parking lots

But how to prevent the dirty needles in the parking lot? I wouldn't mind selling them if we required them to bring back their used needles in exchange. Maybe they could get a rebate on new needles for each dirty one they bring back. It would be almost like the quarter in the carts at Aldi.

(Full disclosure, I've never personally had to tackle this problem.)
My first thought is to get in touch with Safe Needle Disposal and ask them for any local resources/advice (Home - Safe Needle Disposal).
I would also advocate to have sharps containers installed in nearby public restrooms.
I would try to see if I could procure free sharps containers from the local health department, and offer them to customers purchasing syringes.
If I couldn't get any sharps containers for free, I would consider requiring the purchase of the cheapest/smallest sharps container available along with the purchase of nonprescription syringes (unless the customer brought with them a sharps container they already own as proof that they have one), or I would get a pharmacy student on rotation to collect empty laundry detergent bottles from their classmates, and make them construct makeshift sharps containers out of them to hand out for free (I would make sure to nominate this student for an award for advancing the public health of their community).
I would also provide a handout on proper disposal of sharps to anyone who picks up syringes or other sharps at the pharmacy (i.e. prescription or nonprescription). Here's a good handout: https://www.fda.gov/downloads/Medic...onsumer/ConsumerProducts/Sharps/UCM382005.pdf

I think it's funny that every used needle is assumed to have come from a heroin user. Are insulin patient's automatically assumed to never leave the used needles in a parking lot or restroom?

Reactions: 3 users
How hard is it to shove proof of need?

This is just speculation, but it's possible that current laws contribute to inappropriate disposal of syringes. Illicit drug users might be more willing to pack up their needles and dispose of syringes in a biohazard bin if they weren't risking drug paraphernalia charges.

Reactions: 2 users
I think it's funny that every used needle is assumed to have come from a heroin user. Are insulin patient's automatically assumed to never leave the used needles in a parking lot or restroom?
I don't care who it came from. It's still dirty. Also, as a general rule, people who are high are usually less concerned about the wellbeing of those around them at the moment...because they are busy being high. So it would make more sense for them to forget to properly dispose of their needles. They may also be more inclined to save dirty needles for a day when they can't get someone to sell them clean ones.

Last edited:
(Full disclosure, I've never personally had to tackle this problem.)
My first thought is to get in touch with Safe Needle Disposal and ask them for any local resources/advice (Home - Safe Needle Disposal).
I would also advocate to have sharps containers installed in nearby public restrooms.
I would try to see if I could procure free sharps containers from the local health department, and offer them to customers purchasing syringes.
If I couldn't get any sharps containers for free, I would consider requiring the purchase of the cheapest/smallest sharps container available along with the purchase of nonprescription syringes (unless the customer brought with them a sharps container they already own as proof that they have one), or I would get a pharmacy student on rotation to collect empty laundry detergent bottles from their classmates, and make them construct makeshift sharps containers out of them to hand out for free (I would make sure to nominate this student for an award for advancing the public health of their community).
I would also provide a handout on proper disposal of sharps to anyone who picks up syringes or other sharps at the pharmacy (i.e. prescription or nonprescription). Here's a good handout: https://www.fda.gov/downloads/Medic...onsumer/ConsumerProducts/Sharps/UCM382005.pdf
I don't deal with this problem anymore myself but these are some great ideas.

This thread is ancient.

Fortunately in IL, the law changed syringes from prescription to non-prescription, specifically to stop the spread of HIV/Hepatitis/etc. The law does limit a purchase to 20 syringes.

I highly support this. 1) selfish concern--my tax money has to pay for the high medical cost of people with HIV/hepatitis, since a good portion of the people who get these from illegal drug usage end up on Medicaid. 2) altruistic--drug addiction is complicated, many people die from it, but many people successfully recover from it. It's human compassion to want to help keep someone from getting a terrible contagious disease, from a drug addiction that they may be able to recover from and leave far in their past. 3) it's not just about protecting the drug users....it's about protecting their family/friends/one night stands/other people that they could spread their germs to.

I can not possibly imagine denying the sale of a clean syringe (assuming its legal in your state.) I don't care if they lie with a story or not.....as long as the story isn't too long and wasting my time. Then I might cut them off and tell them just to tell me what they want. Or I might just pick out the syringes for them, if it's obvious they don't know how to order them.

For the most part, people who buy insulin syringes for insulin don't run to the bathroom to shoot up their Novolog. They also want the shortest thinnest needles possible. Just give them what they want so you stop the spread of HIV and Hepatitis.

Reactions: 4 users
Just FYI Walmart does not permit no-questions-asked sales of insulin syringes despite the intent of various state boards in relaxing insulin syringe sales restrictions. You are supposed to confirm use for a legitimate medical purpose (i.e., insulin) such as proven by a patient profile or prescription label or whether it's for a pet.

Just FYI Walmart does not permit no-questions-asked sales of insulin syringes despite the intent of various state boards in relaxing insulin syringe sales restrictions. You are supposed to confirm use for a legitimate medical purpose (i.e., insulin) such as proven by a patient profile or prescription label or whether it's for a pet.

That might be the policy in your market/region, but I sell them no questions asked and so do must of the stores in this area, depending on how much of a hardass the pharmacy manager is. If that is a policy, nobody ever told me.

That sounds like something your market manager made up.

There is a WIRE posting somewhere specifically making reference to California BOP relaxing requirements for syringe sales.. I'll scan it and link it later

I myself DGAF but this "policy" predates me

Just curious, did any of you ever work in a pharmacy where every 4th customer wanted needles for their "grandma" and your regulars started saying they did not feel safe in your store (plus finding at least 1/week in the parking lot/bathroom)? Oh and don't forget, CVS will never give you extra tech hours to process all of these transactions. Holy **** I just had a thought, needle vending machines in the shady parts of town with built in disposal, would solve all these problems and make me rich!

Just curious, did any of you ever work in a pharmacy where every 4th customer wanted needles for their "grandma" and your regulars started saying they did not feel safe in your store (plus finding at least 1/week in the parking lot/bathroom)? Oh and don't forget, CVS will never give you extra tech hours to process all of these transactions. Holy **** I just had a thought, needle vending machines in the shady parts of town with built in disposal, would solve all these problems and make me rich!
Let's just say my rxm said I need to do good faith review before dispening synringe since they have had a problem of being the "go to" store for addicts... It's bad to have lots of shady people in your store since it increases shop lifting and creates a safety issue for other customers

Bumped for interest.

Assuming that we can and will sell syringes without Rx, what would be the maximum amount you would sell to a person within a month?

12 years later and I still have the same opinion. I only get pissed when they tell me some bull**** story about how their grandma needs insulin needles. Just ask for the needles. It's 3AM. I know your grandma doesn't need insulin needles.

"I'd like a bag of insulin needles." That's all you need to do.

• Love
Bumped for interest.

Assuming that we can and will sell syringes without Rx, what would be the maximum amount you would sell to a person within a month?
All of them.

• Haha
12 years later and I still have the same opinion. I only get pissed when they tell me some bull**** story about how their grandma needs insulin needles. Just ask for the needles. It's 3AM. I know your grandma doesn't need insulin needles.

"I'd like a bag of insulin needles." That's all you need to do.
From my Reddit comment:

I have too many Libertarian ideals to have malice towards people for buying syringes. But when people waste my time because they don’t know what they’re trying to buy and needlessly lie to me: Fu¢k ‘em.

Oh, so you don’t know what size syringes you want but “they’re the ones that got orange tips”? Fu¢k you. Learn to be a good junkie and educate yourself on the tools of the trade.

I told you that you can’t return syringes if they’re the wrong size and you guessed which ones and were wrong, so now you’ve decided to waste my time arguing about it? Fu¢k you. I’ve got $hit to do.

You were smart enough to call someone and ask what size syringes you are supposed to buy, but on the phone you constantly refer to them as “Grandma with diabetes” and it’s 2am? Fu¢k you. I’ve got more college degrees than you have teeth and I know when you’re lying.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I dont sell them because they will keep coming back for more and I do not want them around my store and in fact they even toss the needles in the store's bathroom. so NO

I would sellem no questions asked. No amount of counseling you do would help unless they themselves are willing to seek treatment for addiction. Over the years I see some of them never come back so you can probably guess what happened to them but doing anything that would cause drama would be a bigger issue in that it would more like likely jeopardize your job in a retail pharmacy.

I would sellem no questions asked. No amount of counseling you do would help unless they themselves are willing to seek treatment for addiction. Over the years I see some of them never come back so you can probably guess what happened to them but doing anything that would cause drama would be a bigger issue in that it would more like likely jeopardize your job in a retail pharmacy.
What will jeopardize it even more is when kids step on used needles in the parking lot....

Probably location based. I had frequent needle purchases where I worked but they always used elsewhere. Specifically a southern park of the city where you would find needles lying around in the ground of the parks and streets. The local 7eleven where had needle disposable sites that were pretty much always full.

Bumped for interest.

Whatever your judgment decides, and you are paid to think. I'd say there's no thought for me to an unopened box of 100 and I agree with @Dr Wario and @WVUPharm2007 that I don't care and I don't want to know, but I cannot see the therapeutic purpose of 1000 or higher in a single transaction. If they keep coming back and buying plausible amounts for personal or partner use, fine. But a 1000, that's too blatant an abuse of a good intentions law and I would deserve opprobrium for being having obvious judgment issues. You're running a pharmacy, not a heroin front. I used to hate AZ law where you had to get diabetic or prescription proof before sale as it was ludicrous (this is thankfully repealed). Figure out your number, I can justify 500 on three month grounds.

But if I see a used needle in my restroom within the day, the hell I'd sell to that jerk again unless they promised to immediately leave the property after sale. We had that rule at several pharmacies.

By the way, the record on needle exchange is mixed. It has much to do with the epidemiological prevalence of bloodborne contagions. High risk areas, (South Africa, Iceland) definitely it helps. Low risk areas (Amish communities), the record is not good. I personally don't care about addicts welfare enough to worry about their drug use, but I think lowering prevalence of bloodborne pathogens benefits everyone.

I personally don't care about addicts welfare enough to worry about their drug use

This is why I don't furnish needles to junkies anymore, especially these ****wits who think pharmacies are OBLIGATED by state regulations to sell syringes sight unseen. (Also i noticed I commented on corporate policies in the past.. yep they made that **** up lol)

Besides we get enough otc insulin sales that i don't want to be out of syringes for legitmate users just b/c of some junkies that don't want help/won't get help

Wow! Target really messed up there. What were they thinking? I'm surprised that they balked at paying the woman's medical bills and stuff, surely they have ins to cover customer complaints of being injured.

And as an update to my 2017 post, IL has changed their law of a limit of 20 syringes to 100 syringes/sale.

Why would you want people who are illicit drug users in your store, roaming the isles, hanging out in your parking lot, wanting a bag with their syringes then grabbing a few items on the way out? I still sell them but still.

I think this article is relevant to the discussion and has some interesting counseling points:

• Haha