MCAT Win GS MCAT Question Bank: 4000+ MCQs incl 7 full-length practice tests

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We are excited to participate again in SDN's annual Test Prep Week.

We will be offering 3 months access to our Gold Standard MCAT Question Bank worth $399:
  • 7 full-length MCAT practice tests with helpful explanations
  • MCAT CARS Booster program
  • Additional 5 MCAT CARS tests
  • Practice questions for all sections
  • Access to science video summaries (over 30 hours!)
  • More than 4000 practice questions
2 winners will be chosen from amongst those who ask questions about our product or otherwise contribute meaningfully to the thread.

Post your comments anytime between April 25th - 29th.

Good luck to all!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey,

In regards to the Qbank, could you give me break down of how many are passage-based and how many are discrete? are they strictly content based questions or are they in format of the AAMC exams(inference, experimental based). I am trying to get as many questions from as many companies as possible. I think content is something I can get from a number of sources (online, notes, old review books....... I really don't want to waste my money on books that are basically the same over the years. A friend of mine said to just use old books and just pick up the ones for the new sections).

I recently signed up for a "qbank" from another company, but it was basically just a bunch of discrete questions, which are important but for those the questions at the end of each chapter are enough of a review.

Thanks for your time.

M

Reactions: 1 user
Hey,

In regards to the Qbank, could you give me break down of how many are passage-based and how many are discrete? are they strictly content based questions or are they in format of the AAMC exams(inference, experimental based). I am trying to get as many questions from as many companies as possible. I think content is something I can get from a number of sources (online, notes, old review books....... I really don't want to waste my money on books that are basically the same over the years. A friend of mine said to just use old books and just pick up the ones for the new sections).

I recently signed up for a "qbank" from another company, but it was basically just a bunch of discrete questions, which are important but for those the questions at the end of each chapter are enough of a review.

Thanks for your time.

M
Hi there,

It would be difficult to give a precise figure. Certainly more than 1/2 of the 4000+ practice questions are passage-based. Usually chapters end with simple discrete questions which build up to MCAT-reasoning discretes and then finally passage-based questions. Of course, all our full-length exams use the same number of discretes per subtest as the AAMC (i.e. 15 discretes per 59 questions, and none for CARS). You have likely seen an image repeated on our website which illustrates our philosophy regarding practice questions: https://www.mcat-prep.com/images/3courses-iconv2.png

Hello!

I was just curious as to how you developed/modified your materials for the new MCAT. Despite understanding the difficulty in knowing exactly what material the AAMC will test, I have found that other test prep companies have not yet adjusted their preparatory materials to reflect the more biologically/physiologically-relevant concepts tested in the new MCAT. For example, throughout my studies I've seen several physics topics that make no connection to biologically/physiologically-relevant concepts (i.e., the forces exerted on a block are tested as opposed to forces acting on or within the body). While the forces exerted on a block may foster a fundamental understanding, I'm in need of prep material that is more reflective of the MCAT and material that challenges my current knowledge via presentation of concepts that require making connections a step beyond a rudimentary level.

Please let me know your thoughts!

Best,

A

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello!

I was just curious as to how you developed/modified your materials for the new MCAT. Despite understanding the difficulty in knowing exactly what material the AAMC will test, I have found that other test prep companies have not yet adjusted their preparatory materials to reflect the more biologically/physiologically-relevant concepts tested in the new MCAT. For example, throughout my studies I've seen several physics topics that make no connection to biologically/physiologically-relevant concepts (i.e., the forces exerted on a block are tested as opposed to forces acting on or within the body). While the forces exerted on a block may foster a fundamental understanding, I'm in need of prep material that is more reflective of the MCAT and material that challenges my current knowledge via presentation of concepts that require making connections a step beyond a rudimentary level.

Please let me know your thoughts!

Best,

A
Hi there!

There’s a lot of wisdom in your question and possibly some helpful points to consider, so we’ll break it down…

You are not kidding: “the difficulty in knowing exactly what material the AAMC will test”

So here are some direct quotes from different ID’s on Reddit:
• Holy Enzyme Kinetics.!!!
• barely any physics problems
• Very little physics
• wow, hi physics. :/ I wound up with multiple physics and calculation-heavy problems
• Virtually no chemistry for me
• heavy calculations. Aargh.
• lots and lots of physics for me.
• A LOT of biochemistry
• +++ orgo
• TONS of Orgo.
• Very little orgo
• entire scratch paper page full of calculations

Of course, part perception but part reality: Not everyone will have the same exam experience whether subjectively or objectively assessed. Ironically, that is the nature of a standardized exam with security controls. The consequence is that there is value in experiencing many full-length tests from different, reputable sources (with careful post-test review and very brief note-taking).

“physics topics that make no connection to biologically/physiologically-relevant concepts”
- Your comment about this issue seems to be in line with our perspective: We have no problems resolving forces on a block in our practice exams, but we do have such questions in our chapter review section, as you mentioned, to develop a fundamental understanding. But our exams resolve forces at joints, deal with the electronics of cardiac muscle and defibrillators, radioactivity, refraction/optics and the eye, endoscopy and the critical angle, waves and the ear canal, just to name a few.

But here’s the asterisk! Most students report that during the real exam (and you can see this also in the 2 AAMC FL tests), you can instantly detect a passage with the ‘old’ style (for example, a descriptive non-research based passage about solubility from a General Chemistry perspective with no overt relation to anything biological or biochemical). You will also find some discretes (AAMC practice FLs) that specifically test your knowledge related to atomic structure/quantum numbers (classic ‘old’ MCAT fare).

It is useful to have a peek at Bloom’s taxonomy (https://tips.uark.edu/wp-content/up...my_pyramid_cake-style-use-with-permission.jpg) and to know that even the ‘old’ MCAT questions tended towards the upper part of the scale (btw, a 2008 study in Science showed that MCAT does this better than many major standardized exams, and certainly, better than undergrad exams; references below), and the new MCAT, as you have alluded to, means reasoning is even more critical.

Without commenting specifically about other companies, just to say that practice tests require balance and should reflect, more or less, the balance that the AAMC’s FLs have, and hopefully over time, you will have covered enough material such that if your exam experience is weighted one way or the other, it’s OK, because the reasoning skills developed over time will be the primary source of correct answers, and then there will be some random knowledge-based questions here or there which won’t likely be the deciding factor in the scaled score you are aiming for (of course I’m presuming you are a pretty good student judging from your question!).

http://www.physics.emory.edu/faculty/weeks//journal/mcatdebunk.pdf

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/319/5862/414

Hi there!

There’s a lot of wisdom in your question and possibly some helpful points to consider, so we’ll break it down…

You are not kidding: “the difficulty in knowing exactly what material the AAMC will test”

So here are some direct quotes from different ID’s on Reddit:
• Holy Enzyme Kinetics.!!!
• barely any physics problems
• Very little physics
• wow, hi physics. :/ I wound up with multiple physics and calculation-heavy problems
• Virtually no chemistry for me
• heavy calculations. Aargh.
• lots and lots of physics for me.
• A LOT of biochemistry
• +++ orgo
• TONS of Orgo.
• Very little orgo
• entire scratch paper page full of calculations

Of course, part perception but part reality: Not everyone will have the same exam experience whether subjectively or objectively assessed. Ironically, that is the nature of a standardized exam with security controls. The consequence is that there is value in experiencing many full-length tests from different, reputable sources (with careful post-test review and very brief note-taking).

“physics topics that make no connection to biologically/physiologically-relevant concepts”
- Your comment about this issue seems to be in line with our perspective: We have no problems resolving forces on a block in our practice exams, but we do have such questions in our chapter review section, as you mentioned, to develop a fundamental understanding. But our exams resolve forces at joints, deal with the electronics of cardiac muscle and defibrillators, radioactivity, refraction/optics and the eye, endoscopy and the critical angle, waves and the ear canal, just to name a few.

But here’s the asterisk! Most students report that during the real exam (and you can see this also in the 2 AAMC FL tests), you can instantly detect a passage with the ‘old’ style (for example, a descriptive non-research based passage about solubility from a General Chemistry perspective with no overt relation to anything biological or biochemical). You will also find some discretes (AAMC practice FLs) that specifically test your knowledge related to atomic structure/quantum numbers (classic ‘old’ MCAT fare).

It is useful to have a peek at Bloom’s taxonomy (https://tips.uark.edu/wp-content/up...my_pyramid_cake-style-use-with-permission.jpg) and to know that even the ‘old’ MCAT questions tended towards the upper part of the scale (btw, a 2008 study in Science showed that MCAT does this better than many major standardized exams, and certainly, better than undergrad exams; references below), and the new MCAT, as you have alluded to, means reasoning is even more critical.

Without commenting specifically about other companies, just to say that practice tests require balance and should reflect, more or less, the balance that the AAMC’s FLs have, and hopefully over time, you will have covered enough material such that if your exam experience is weighted one way or the other, it’s OK, because the reasoning skills developed over time will be the primary source of correct answers, and then there will be some random knowledge-based questions here or there which won’t likely be the deciding factor in the scaled score you are aiming for (of course I’m presuming you are a pretty good student judging from your question!).

http://www.physics.emory.edu/faculty/weeks//journal/mcatdebunk.pdf

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/319/5862/414

Wow, thanks for taking the time to break down my question as well as providing links to additional sources! I really appreciate your comments and I look forward to (hopefully) supplementing my studies with Gold Standard's MCAT prep materials! :)

Have a great weekend!

A

Last edited:
Thank you all for participating in SDN's annual Test Prep Week!

The Gold Standard MCAT Question Bank worth $399 goes to my045881 and Aubtimus Prime :highfive:

Please, pm us your email address so we can set-up your online MCAT account right away. Thank you and good luck!

P.s. Feel free to share your thoughts on the product with us. We appreciate all comments.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.