Winning Goldwater but not doing MD/PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Dreaming big

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey,
What happens if someone wins the goldwater scholarship for research, then decides when they are applying to med school that they want to be a regular md. Would med schools view this as a negative/shun the application? What would the student have to say in an interview/PS or secondary in order to convince med school that he is dedicated to becoming a MD.
 
im not sure about this speciically but i know when i was considering applying to goldwater they definitely clearly stated that this is meant for phd or md/phd candidates and im sure medical schools know that..
 
The Goldwater site has this language -
Students who plan to study medicine are eligible for a Goldwater Scholarship only if they plan a research career rather than a career as a medical doctor in a private practice.
There is no requirement for MD/PhD. It's the intended career path, not the degree that is the determining factor. MD/PhD's can go into private practice and MD's can do research.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey,
What happens if someone wins the goldwater scholarship for research, then decides when they are applying to med school that they want to be a regular md. Would med schools view this as a negative/shun the application? What would the student have to say in an interview/PS or secondary in order to convince med school that he is dedicated to becoming a MD.

Just because you're hung like a moose doesn't mean you have to do porn.

As others have mentioned, you can definitely devote your career to research as an MD-only. Back when I was in research, my biggest professional idols were both MDs who spent their careers in research rather than the clinic. If you could articulate why you don't want to pursue a formal PhD, well, that would probably be smart.
 
also, when i was nominated, my adviser stressed that these ppl know that you're young, and sometimes you change your mind. no one is going to track you down and make sure that you've stayed with your exact same intentions from when you were junior in college.
 
So med schools wouldn't penalize you for it?

The Goldwater people are going to give you the scholarship, and then a year later or so, you'll actually enroll. I am willing to bet that no one will ask questions. Contact your school's goldwater rep, or better yet, some random school's goldwater rep if you want to make sure anonymously. Im pretty sure you can look up the entire country's list online.

I can only tell you what my rep said, and that is, they know you're young, and ppl change their minds. No one is going to hold that against you. Especially not the med school who will be happy to get paid.

It's really not even an issue until after residency, if you decide to do a post doc, or pursue a faculty position. They're really not going to be tracking you down to make sure you haven't decided to go into clinical practice.
 
also, when i was nominated, my adviser stressed that these ppl know that you're young, and sometimes you change your mind. no one is going to track you down and make sure that you've stayed with your exact same intentions from when you were junior in college.
Agreed. I know a Goldwater Scholar who is now a professional dancer. People change their minds.
 
My good friend at my school is a Goldwater Scholar. He is only pursuing an MD and has done little to no research throughout medical school. In fact, I am pretty sure his goal in the end is private practice.
 
I am in the same situation; I won a Goldwater scholarship and have 5 semesters + 2 (working on 3) summers of research...

Over the course of the past 8-12 months it has become apparent to me that I would be happier and more productive both in a traditional MD program and working on the patient side of things later (not that MD/PhD's can't, but a PhD seems wasteful if I know I won't need to use it)

When I filled out the Goldwater apps, which started well over a year ago at my school for the campus selection, I really did want to pursue a career in research. I have talked with several pre-med advisers, my Goldwater adviser and some faculty at my in-state med school...the consensus seems to be that it is not a big deal if you decide not to go MD/PhD. Obviously the Goldwater carries less weight in the traditional MD application process, but I was never given the impression by anyone I spoke with that a med school would see it as a negative for someone applying MD-only. I even recall seeing at least one person on the 2009 Goldwater Scholars list that listed just an M.D. as their career goal.
 
I won a Goldwater saying I wanted to get a PhD in Physics, which was true when I was a confused sophomore. My advisor called the Goldwater people for me when I decided to apply to med school and they said they didn't care if I switched.

But one guy I talked to told me that they would make me pay back the money... but I think he was just trying to scare me.

You should be fine.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I won a Goldwater saying I wanted to get a PhD in Physics, which was true when I was a confused sophomore. My advisor called the Goldwater people for me when I decided to apply to med school and they said they didn't care if I switched.

But one guy I talked to told me that they would make me pay back the money... but I think he was just trying to scare me.

You should be fine.

I think you are right; there was never anything about having to give the money back if you deviate from what you said your plan was.
 
is it even possible to win these scholarships if all of your research is focused around medicine ie clinical research or some lab research with MDs. will they see that and immediately disqualify me?
 
is it even possible to win these scholarships if all of your research is focused around medicine ie clinical research or some lab research with MDs. will they see that and immediately disqualify me?

I think this question would be best asked of your school's awards advisor, but I don't see why clinical research would be a problem. The goldwater people just care that you want a career in research, I think. I may be way wrong, but I think clinical research counts too.