Winter Is Coming

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Found Footage Pain GIF by Eternal Family

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I suspect this is quietly becoming a huge problem as academic satellite networks expand. This is not good and seems like it could be just a matter of time until some department has the equivalent bombshell that surgeons have when they run multiple ORs at once with trainees doing basically unsupervised surgery.
Sounds like a CMS qui tam waiting to happen, anyone up for a 10-25% cut if they win?

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Corey W. Speers

Consulting or Advisory Role: Exact Sciences

Patents, Royalties, Other Intellectual Property: Compositions and Methods for the Analysis of Radiosensitivity, UM-33550/US-1, Coinventor, Submitted on 09/2013, Methods and Genomic Classifiers for Prognosis of Breast Cancer and Predicting Benefit from Adjuvant Radiotherapy, Application No. 61/205,279, Coinventor

From the article "Although the investigators state that POLAR is a signature of radiation omission, one could also argue that this signature appears to identify a group of individuals who do not receive appreciable local control benefit from adjuvant hormone therapy either if classified as low risk..... (several lines down on same theme)... In support of treatment with radiation alone without hormone therapy"

Reactions: 6 users
Anyone else get a VuMedi today for a video from Buchholz on "Omitting Radiotherapy After Lumpectomy" - jeeeezhus.

"Radiation isn't the worst thing in the world to receive, especially with hypofrac"

How is this stuff getting made? And then no comment on what happens when people don't take ER consistently..

Anyone else get a VuMedi today for a video from Buchholz on "Omitting Radiotherapy After Lumpectomy" - jeeeezhus.

"Radiation isn't the worst thing in the world to receive, especially with hypofrac"

How is this stuff getting made? And then no comment on what happens when people don't take ER consistently..

The article still has to work its waybthrough the spin machine that is American mainstream media. The talking heads are just getting started

And by radiation, I'm certain Buchholz is referring to photons only. Treating low-risk cancer with six weeks of proton therapy on the other hand is completely fine . . .

Members don't see this ad :)
And by radiation, I'm certain Buchholz is referring to photons only. Treating low-risk cancer with six weeks of proton therapy on the other hand is completely fine . . .
Happens every day at every proton center. I really hope people are not thinking this doesn’t happen.

Ditto for prostate I'm guessing (8-9 weeks)
As long as the academic centers are charging 100K for hypo prostate and Building proton centers all over the state and claiming it’s not financially toxic. I’ll keep conv frac.

• Love
I've done 2 conv in about 2 years due to big boi prostate, high AUA, or other bothersome GU profile.

Everyone else has had hypofrac and done remarkably well. Certainly as good or better than conv from days of yore.

A colleague emailed me just today

VuMedi

My email now gets notices regularly to view an educational video from this company VuMedi. See below

There are 100s of videos in their library.

I found one from Sue Yom and asked her about it. She says she never heard of the company or that her visiting professor talk at Emory would be distributed like this.

It seems like some of the videos are made specifically for this company.

• Hmm
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users
in all honesty, protons really should be 8-9 weeks as they are actually more toxic. If worked at a proton center, everyone would get conventional to minimize side effects.

Happens every day at every proton center. I really hope people are not thinking this doesn’t happen.
I'm sure it happens. Object to it happening at "every" proton center.

I'm sure there have been cases at the one I'm affiliated with but I know the docs don't hawk it like that.

I'm sure it happens. Object to it happening at "every" proton center.

I'm sure there have been cases at the one I'm affiliated with but I know the docs don't hawk it like that.
They don’t I have to. I have ethical colleagues at proton centers and patients come in all the time demanding protons. Docs inform him that photons are equal maybe even better, but plenty of pts still want protons. As I said before, it is legit not to hypofractionate with protons given the excess toxicity.

They don’t I have to. I have ethical colleagues at proton centers and patients come in all the time demanding protons. Docs inform him that photons are equal maybe even better, but plenty of pts still want protons. As I said before, it is legit not to hypofractionate with protons given the excess toxicity.
I see this as a failure of the doctor doing the consult. Part of my job is explaining why protons may/may not be of benefit in a particular situation. Treating a patient just because they demand it is at minimum lazy medicine.

I see this as a failure of the doctor doing the consult. Part of my job is explaining why protons may/may not be of benefit in a particular situation. Treating a patient just because they demand it is at minimum lazy medicine.
I am sure that they explain “no proven benefit” but pts still have made up their minds due to advertising. Besides, protons are never of benefit for prostate cancer- how would you even begin to have that discussion? In my best judgement, they are always worse/never appropriate. Would I dare to treat a prostate with imrt without a spacer or balloon- of course. How abt with protons? Almost no one does-Isn’t this a tacit admission they are more toxic.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users