Winthrop University and Cohen Childrens LIJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helm222

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looked through thread history, didn't find much on these Long Island/NYC metro area programs. I know Cohen is obviously a large academic/tertiary center and Winthrop is a small community hospital. Anyone have information?

Members don't see this ad.

Winthrop seems to have a very nice program as far as I remembered from interviewing there 3 years ago. People are all very nice. The town seems small. Residents there work very closely with residents from good samaritan (osteopathic program) which makes them a medium size program. I think they also rotate through both. They also offered cheap resident housing across the hospital!?

I'm from the area and I'd imagine this is comparing apples and oranges. I don't see Winthrop being a high volume program, it is a pretty sleepy hospital... I'm sure it's fine for general peds training though. A lot of my hometown doctors trained there. Cohen Children's is a few minutes away and probably takes most or all of the really sick kids so if you want to subspecialize that may be a better bet. Mineola is a small town but the hospital is literally on top of a busy train station, where trains go to NYC quite often. If you wanted to live in the city, commuting to winthrop is probably a lot easier than commuting to LIJ which necessitates driving.

Last edited: