Wisconsin Hospital Replaces All Anesthesiologists With CRNAs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I'm in academics with a SRNA training program and its unbelievable how terrible and basic the CRNA teaching of SRNAs is. Babysitting long cases with minimal modifications of intra-op plans is difficult for 50% of them. The slightest deviation from expected intra-op courses is met with a blank stare and I need you in the OR (while writing "MDA aware").
+1

It's hard to describe 1. how lackadaisical CRNA "teaching," of SRNAs is if one hasn't seen it before, 2. how little awareness the CRNAs have of their own skill level and the skill level of the SRNA they're supervising.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
seems like they only teach more or less the procedural part of anesthesia. no good physiologic justification at times.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
seems like they only teach more or less the procedural part of anesthesia. no good physiologic justification at times.
we're probably saying different versions of the same thing but I've always thought they very much practice cook book anesthesia.

"Well it's this surgery so we do this..."

"Well his EF is 12%, phenylephrine is making the number look good but....ya know what, nevermind....want to take a break?"

Reactions: 2 users
+1

It's hard to describe 1. how lackadaisical CRNA "teaching," of SRNAs is if one hasn't seen it before, 2. how little awareness the CRNAs have of their own skill level and the skill level of the SRNA they're supervising.
People say this - and then turn around and want to supervise them - or get upset when a Wisconsin hospital hires all CRNAs. It doesn’t make sense.

This has made all sorts of new through a bunch of medical newsletters and websites, including the ASA Today email blurb, Medscape, and several others. I think this is a real WTF moment for some. I think it's one thing for a national company to come in and uproot an established group, which has happened all over the country. It's quite another to replace all the anesthesiologists with a CRNA-only group, thus significantly lowering the standard of care for that part of Wisconsin.
Why do Anesthesiologist not push more for CAAs. There not trying to take their job and they want and like working under the Dr. there has been good movement in expanding this specialty but it’s been WAY slower than the CRNA movement. It blows my mind that CRNAs are pushing for such autonomy while they are practicing nursing, but they want to argue that CAAs who went to med school learned and are guided by anesthesiologists are not competent providers? That doesn’t even make sense. Something needs to be and be done quick we need anesthesiologist

It needs to come from the society without identifying individuals and would be nice if it was an anonymous vote within the society that forces the hands of the leadership to pursue AA legislation. It’s a big ask to risk losing a job or uprooting family for a potentially crappier job because you are the upsetter of apple carts. You aren’t just sacrificing yourself, but potentially your whole family. As an early career doc, that’s not being selfish or cowardly. Its instead a risk-benefit calculation tilted toward protecting family.
There needs to be more AA programs. We need anesthesiologist to push harder for CAAs. And they really need to look at the scope of practice, where CRNAs argue is they say AAs cost more money and require more supervision than a CRNA does, and right now they do due to the way the law is written, and not due to their training. Anesthesiologist need to start investing more knowledge into their AAs and offering specialized trainings etc that help advance the AAs. Also the legislation needs to be changed on the wording and scope of supervision of the AAs. The AA should be supervised like a PA or NP where the anesthesiologist over sees certain cases and doesn’t have to be in the room during induction and the bringing out phase. That discretion should totally be left up to the anesthesiologist once she/he is comfortable with his AAs they can do what their trained to do. They would always be tied to the anesthesiologist but given more authority to practice. This is what needs to happen to start building a wall against the ever approaching nursing lobby. The way they are going they will kick dr.s out of every speacilty I want physicians leading my team and care not nurses!

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
There needs to be more AA programs. We need anesthesiologist to push harder for CAAs. And they really need to look at the scope of practice, where CRNAs argue is they say AAs cost more money and require more supervision than a CRNA does, and right now they do due to the way the law is written, and not due to their training. Anesthesiologist need to start investing more knowledge into their AAs and offering specialized trainings etc that help advance the AAs. Also the legislation needs to be changed on the wording and scope of supervision of the AAs. The AA should be supervised like a PA or NP where the anesthesiologist over sees certain cases and doesn’t have to be in the room during induction and the bringing out phase. That discretion should totally be left up to the anesthesiologist once she/he is comfortable with his AAs they can do what their trained to do. They would always be tied to the anesthesiologist but given more authority to practice. This is what needs to happen to start building a wall against the ever approaching nursing lobby. The way they are going they will kick dr.s out of every speacilty I want physicians leading my team and care not nurses!
So...train them better than CRNA's, grant them status above CRNA's and then not expect that what you've done is create just another group of non-physicians that won't at some point down the road decide they don't need you, only this time, they've been endorsed and enabled by you...better the devil you know...

Reactions: 13 users
Sounds like a horrible idea.

Why do Anesthesiologist not push more for CAAs. There not trying to take their job and they want and like working under the Dr. there has been good movement in expanding this specialty but it’s been WAY slower than the CRNA movement. It blows my mind that CRNAs are pushing for such autonomy while they are practicing nursing, but they want to argue that CAAs who went to med school learned and are guided by anesthesiologists are not competent providers? That doesn’t even make sense. Something needs to be and be done quick we need anesthesiologist

CAAs went to med school?

So...train them better than CRNA's, grant them status above CRNA's and then not expect that what you've done is create just another group of non-physicians that won't at some point down the road decide they don't need you, only this time, they've been endorsed and enabled by you...better the devil you know...
No Sir you have missed the point. 1. Its not that CRNAs are trained better than AAs CRNAs have the nursing and the critical care that helps but I don’t believe it makes them better the main difference between a CRNA and A AA is legistslation. Their lobbing group has a lot more stroke and backing than then anesthesiologist one that’s apparent by the rampant progress they have made. I always hear “ mostly from CRNAs that their training is far better and that’s why they can practice independantly from an anesthesiologis. In the ACT model they are interchangeable. AAs have a bachelors and go to college of medicine for 2 years and are practicing medicine, they work under the anesthesiologist and get direct guidance from them. I’m tired of people saying that AAs are inferior to CRNAs. What I was saying was if the ASA would get the legislative wording and laws changed around where AAs could be a little more indepedant like other PAs it would help in this battle. For example when A PA sees a Patient in a doctors office the dr doesn’t have to come into the room in the beginning and start the meeting or show up at the end. The PA does it all and then informs the dr what’s going on and he signs off. Where as with AAs the CRNAs use this against AAs because the dr has to be in the room in beginning and end. what would be nice to see is as an AA we get tied to an Anesthesiologist (always working under one) but it’s not so much hand holding and as you work with the drs and they get confident with you and pour more knowledge into you it helps you advance and they don’t have to be in the room holding your hand BUT they are there when you need them. I don’t have an issue working under a Dr. Drs go to all that schooling for a reason I want to learn from that knowledge and have that person to go to for questions and advice. I just hate how the CRNAs are pushing their agenda so hard it’s trying to force anesthesiologist and AAs out of practice. And all these CRNAs that post videos on YouTube talking about AAs are dangerous and don’t have proper training etc, to me it’s a slap in the face to Anesthesiologist who train us and the medical community in whole,

Members don't see this ad :)
There programs are tied to college of medicine they are taking classes in med school side by side with med students so yes

Which preclinical classes? Do they do IM clerkship? Surgery? Sincerely interested.

Which classes? Do they do IM clerkship? Surgery?
Look I have just started to look into their programs I’m not trying argue with you about it but it was my understanding it’s tied to the college of medicine (anesthesia department) and they take med classes just like a PA does but solely geared to anesthesi. My point in this whole deal is the CRNAs are trying to push anesthesiologist out the door and they have succeeded in many areas. As I explored anesthesia I didn’t want to go for full fledged MD/DO and didn’t want to apply to nursing, so CAA is perfect fit for me. But all these forms about people bashing them and how anesthesiologist (our supervisors) are loosing their jobs to CRNAs etc I’m just trying to figure out what can be done. I would think an anesthesiologist would want to use a CAA if they had the choice.

Look I have just started to look into their programs I’m not trying argue with you about it but it was my understanding it’s tied to the college of medicine (anesthesia department) and they take med classes just like a PA does but solely geared to anesthesi. My point in this whole deal is the CRNAs are trying to push anesthesiologist out the door and they have succeeded in many areas. As I explored anesthesia I didn’t want to go for full fledged MD/DO and didn’t want to apply to nursing, so CAA is perfect fit for me. But all these forms about people bashing them and how anesthesiologist (our supervisors) are loosing their jobs to CRNAs etc I’m just trying to figure out what can be done. I would think an anesthesiologist would want to use a CAA if they had the choice.

If it is an option for you, I would encourage you to go to medical school and get an MD or DO if you want to do anesthesia. If you’re just now looking into it, you have no idea how limited your options will be going the CAA route.

If it is an option for you, I would encourage you to go to medical school and get an MD or DO if you want to do anesthesia. If you’re just now looking into it, you have no idea how limited your options will be going the CAA route.
I know there are only so many states that employ them I live in one and surround states, are you referring to that limitation or the limited in the area of working in anesthesia? I dunno why they are not legal in all 50 states and I would hope in future they would be

I know there are only so many states that employ them I live in one and surround states, are you referring to that limitation or the limited in the area of working in anesthesia? I dunno why they are not legal in all 50 states and I would hope in future they would be

Yes geographic limitations are important but also the opportunities for professional growth, opportunity to work independently, and opportunities to subspecialize.

Also if my kid was deciding between nursing and CRNA school vs CAA school, I think CRNA is a better option. The opportunities are endless in nursing.

Last edited:
Yes geographic limitation are important but also the opportunities for professional growth, opportunity to work independently, and opportunities to subspecialize.

Also if my kid was deciding between nursing and CRNA school vs CAA school, I think CRNA is a better option. The opportunities are endless in nursing.
What do you do for a living if i may ask

Not everyone on here is a anesthesiologist Sir. Thanks for replying I figured he was
So looks like your an Anesthesiologist do you share same views on CAA field? I’m trying to get some honest feed back

So looks like your an Anesthesiologist do you share same views on CAA field? I’m trying to get some honest feed back
Essentially yes, both CAA's and CRNA's are excellent. Personally, even if we trained CAA's to the level of CRNA's "independence" I don't see them taking over the field in my lifetime, so it's not a big deal to me. CAA's should be allowed to practice in every state and it is idiotic that they are not allowed to do so. But I could digress A HELL OF A LOT more on what I think should be appropriate for the increase in medical care, but I'd end up sounding like Charlie Day from it's always sunny, so I won't.

Essentially yes, both CAA's and CRNA's are excellent. Personally, even if we trained CAA's to the level of CRNA's "independence" I don't see them taking over the field in my lifetime, so it's not a big deal to me. CAA's should be allowed to practice in every state and it is idiotic that they are not allowed to do so. But I could digress A HELL OF A LOT more on what I think should be appropriate for the increase in medical care, but I'd end up sounding like Charlie Day from it's always sunny, so I won't.
Thank you for this reply. When you say ”even if we trained CAAs to the level of CRNAs “independence” are you just referring to their independence or can you tell there is a difference in their training and ability putting the CAA less knowledgeable than CRNA?

Thank you for this reply. When you say ”even if we trained CAAs to the level of CRNAs “independence” are you just referring to their independence or can you tell there is a difference in their training and ability putting the CAA less knowledgeable than CRNA?
I have worked with AAs and CRNAs. There is no difference especially after 3 years of work experience. If anything, the AAs are easier to work with and understand the TEAM approach much better.

But, since I live in the real world the fact remains that CRNAS have more opportunities for employment across all 50 states and can even work independently doing basic cases like GI or cataracts. The CRNA route is easier in terms of admission because all you need are a pulse and tuition money for some programs.

Reactions: 8 users
CAAs went to med school?

Everyone claims that they go to med school except actual doctors.

PAs, NPs, even new nurses these days will talk about their "med school training" and their "clinicals" like it's in the same ballpark. But then you talk to an omfs who actually went to medical school and many years of residency and they won't even mention it, never mind try to claim equivalence.

Reactions: 5 users
No Sir you have missed the point. 1. Its not that CRNAs are trained better than AAs CRNAs have the nursing and the critical care that helps but I don’t believe it makes them better the main difference between a CRNA and A AA is legistslation. Their lobbing group has a lot more stroke and backing than then anesthesiologist one that’s apparent by the rampant progress they have made. I always hear “ mostly from CRNAs that their training is far better and that’s why they can practice independantly from an anesthesiologis. In the ACT model they are interchangeable. AAs have a bachelors and go to college of medicine for 2 years and are practicing medicine, they work under the anesthesiologist and get direct guidance from them. I’m tired of people saying that AAs are inferior to CRNAs. What I was saying was if the ASA would get the legislative wording and laws changed around where AAs could be a little more indepedant like other PAs it would help in this battle. For example when A PA sees a Patient in a doctors office the dr doesn’t have to come into the room in the beginning and start the meeting or show up at the end. The PA does it all and then informs the dr what’s going on and he signs off. Where as with AAs the CRNAs use this against AAs because the dr has to be in the room in beginning and end. what would be nice to see is as an AA we get tied to an Anesthesiologist (always working under one) but it’s not so much hand holding and as you work with the drs and they get confident with you and pour more knowledge into you it helps you advance and they don’t have to be in the room holding your hand BUT they are there when you need them. I don’t have an issue working under a Dr. Drs go to all that schooling for a reason I want to learn from that knowledge and have that person to go to for questions and advice. I just hate how the CRNAs are pushing their agenda so hard it’s trying to force anesthesiologist and AAs out of practice. And all these CRNAs that post videos on YouTube talking about AAs are dangerous and don’t have proper training etc, to me it’s a slap in the face to Anesthesiologist who train us and the medical community in whole,
Except that PAs don't go see the patient then proceed to administer a lethal dose of medications inducing apnea and often hypotension, then subsequently rescue the patient by supporting their breathing by several potential means.

These scenarios are NOT equatable. The acuity of the situation is not even close to similar. Every argument you're making sounds to me like "we should because they do" but maybe the problem isn't that CAAs do too little, but that crnas do too much.

Reactions: 3 users
What do you do for a living if i may ask

Yes I’m an anesthesiologist. I’ve been in private practice for 25 years on the west coast.

I’ll reiterate, you’ll have the most opportunity and flexibility by going to medical school. If that is not an option, then nursing school (and CRNA school) will give you more opportunities and flexibility than AA school. If you go to medical school or nursing school, you may find that you’re interested in something completely unrelated to anesthesia. If you go to AA school, that option is not open. Anesthesia is not for everyone and you don’t find out until you’re doing it. We had 2 guys in my class switch specialty after CA-1 year. Both were good residents but just didn’t enjoy it.

Last edited:
Clinical training wise, AA = CRNA. The latter love to tout their critical care nursing experience to try to pretend they are somehow better trained than AA. But have you seen the new grad CRNAs? Online BSN, 1 year stepdown unit following doctor orders, then straight shot to CRNA school.. in other words not much of q background. Everything else is politics and nurse propaganda.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Except that PAs don't go see the patient then proceed to administer a lethal dose of medications inducing apnea and often hypotension, then subsequently rescue the patient by supporting their breathing by several potential means.

These scenarios are NOT equatable. The acuity of the situation is not even close to similar. Every argument you're making sounds to me like "we should because they do" but maybe the problem isn't that CAAs do too little, but that crnas do too much.
Very well said and much appreciated

Yes I’m an anesthesiologist. I’ve been in private practice for 25 years on the west coast.

I’ll reiterate, you’ll have the most opportunity and flexibility by going to medical school. If that is not an option, then nursing school (and CRNA school) will give you more opportunities and flexibility than AA school. If you go to medical school or nursing school, you may find that you’re interested in something completely unrelated to anesthesia. If you go to AA school, that option is not open. Anesthesia is not for everyone and you don’t find out until you’re doing it. We had 2 guys in my class switch specialty after CA-1 year. Both were good residents but just didn’t enjoy it.
Thank your input this does make sense im in a position where I can move into either I actually started out pre nursing really going to give this a lot of thought this is exactly what I needed to hear thank you everyone your input and experience

CAAs are trained by physicians and CAAs, typically in a medical school environment. Every program has a medical school sponsoring institution, and many of the programs have very strong ties to medical school anesthesia departments. Some do in fact take medical school classes, others take some of their programs with PA students, while others have totally separate courses - it's entirely program dependent.

This "trained to be independent" argument from CRNAs is a crock. CAAs are, by training and law, a "dependent" provider, meaning we have a formal legal relationship with an anesthesiologist. That being said, EVERY CAA can, by training and law, act without the presence of an anesthesiologist in an emergency situation. My very first on-call case was a twin gestation ruptured uterus. I was the first to arrive, even before the OR staff, with the OB doc screaming and banging on the locked OR doors. I had pre-oxygenated the patient and was pushing pentothal and sux before the anesthesiologist got to the OR. Every CAA has the ability to assess a patient and make an anesthesia plan - of course in a care team environment, the physician is and should be the boss.

CAAs should be able to practice in every state. Of course the main reason we can't is CRNA opposition, either individually, or through their "professional" organizations. The other is that student nurse anesthetists are still widely used as free labor in anesthesia departments across the US. A lot of practices simply won't let go of that concept.

Happy to say that CAA numbers are rapidly increasing (nowhere near CRNA numbers, but far better than 25 a year combined with the original two programs). There are a number of programs in the development stage, and several who are accepting applications for their inaugural classes in 2022. The limiting factors are simple economics (starting a program is not inexpensive) and logistical (a program has to have adequate clinical sites for it's students). You want more CAAs? Offer to become a clinical site. CAA students can rotate just about anywhere - medical education laws in most states have provisions for all sorts of clinical student education, both for physicians and non physicians.

Reactions: 4 users
CAAs are trained by physicians and CAAs, typically in a medical school environment. Every program has a medical school sponsoring institution, and many of the programs have very strong ties to medical school anesthesia departments. Some do in fact take medical school classes, others take some of their programs with PA students, while others have totally separate courses - it's entirely program dependent.

This "trained to be independent" argument from CRNAs is a crock. CAAs are, by training and law, a "dependent" provider, meaning we have a formal legal relationship with an anesthesiologist. That being said, EVERY CAA can, by training and law, act without the presence of an anesthesiologist in an emergency situation. My very first on-call case was a twin gestation ruptured uterus. I was the first to arrive, even before the OR staff, with the OB doc screaming and banging on the locked OR doors. I had pre-oxygenated the patient and was pushing pentothal and sux before the anesthesiologist got to the OR. Every CAA has the ability to assess a patient and make an anesthesia plan - of course in a care team environment, the physician is and should be the boss.

CAAs should be able to practice in every state. Of course the main reason we can't is CRNA opposition, either individually, or through their "professional" organizations. The other is that student nurse anesthetists are still widely used as free labor in anesthesia departments across the US. A lot of practices simply won't let go of that concept.

Happy to say that CAA numbers are rapidly increasing (nowhere near CRNA numbers, but far better than 25 a year combined with the original two programs). There are a number of programs in the development stage, and several who are accepting applications for their inaugural classes in 2022. The limiting factors are simple economics (starting a program is not inexpensive) and logistical (a program has to have adequate clinical sites for it's students). You want more CAAs? Offer to become a clinical site. CAA students can rotate just about anywhere - medical education laws in most states have provisions for all sorts of clinical student education, both for physicians and non physicians.
Thank you Sir for your response