Wisconsin vs. Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sirius_1

Reaction score
Hello!

I need some help in deciding between Wisconsin Madison vs. Michigan. I have visited Michigan during my interview and fell in love with their new curriculum, its facility, and the maturity of their students. However, I am into laboratory animals med, esp non-human primates, so Wisconsin will be the way to go since they have a national primate center nearby. Below are the factors that I care a lot when picking schools.

Similarities:
- similar small class size (w: 96; m: 115)

- specialty faculty:
-Both seem to have some faculty in neurology and zoo med (Michigan's zoo med faculty is retiring?)
-Neither has lab animal med program (correct me if I am wrong)

Differences:
- facility
- w: haven't visited yet, but seems old from other posts;
- m: new facility

- curriculum
- w: lecture based?
- m: new learning curriculum that I like a lot

- non-human primate opportunity
- wisconsin has a national primate center, can vet student be a student tech?
- I don't think there is any primate in Michigan.

- International collaboration program: can students go aboard to do internships during breaks?

- Tuition:
- Wisconsin is slightly cheaper than Michigan for OOS students

- Scholarship Opportunities
- I am an international student, not sure if I can receive any scholarship in either school.

I will really appreciate if any current Wisconsin or Michigan student can share your experience and opinions!

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I can talk some regarding Wisconsin. It's facilities are older and they are very cramped for space. However, they are planning on adding an addition that they believe will be done late 2022, so we would benefit from that for like half a year. I personally am not letting the older facilities bother me, I know I'll still get an amazing education no matter what.

Regarding the curriculum, if I'm remembering correctly from when I was there on Friday, it'll basically be lecture in the morning and then lab in the afternoon, for the most part.

If you are interested in the primate aspect, I would personally say go to the school that is stronger in that area.

Members don't see this ad :)
MSU doesn't have much infrastructure in the realm of lab animals, but I know you will be well prepared here. A 2019'er just matched for a residency in lab animal medicine.

There's not a lot of competition for lab animal opportunities on campus. We have 3 full time veterinarians that run campus lab animal services. MSU has an extensive summer research program, that occasionally accepts incoming first years. Within this program is a spot within MSU's lab animal service working with them and on a research project. We also have that other University about 45 minutes away. They have a huge animal research program. Between the University, medical school, and regional VA hospital I believe they have somewhere around half a million animals involved in various research labs. And they even have a lab animal residency program. They're also a part of the summer research program.

Yes, to comment on Wisconsin's space... I've heard this a million times: you're not going to get a great education from shiny facilities, you are going to get it from the people in them. Grad school is all about mentorship. I'm sure you'll have that opportunity wherever, but Wisconsin's got an esteemed program and it's not for its facilities (they actually aren't nearly as bad as the internet makes them seem... I found them to be pretty warm and inviting!), it's for the people there. Just my two cents!!! Congrats and good luck with your decision!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi there. Current lab animal resident here :hello:All AVMA accredited schools will provide you with the foundational knowledge required to be an excellent lab animal vet. UW Madison and Michigan State are both excellent schools. You'd be splitting hairs to say 'which is better.' 'Better' is often a matter of opinion rather than factual difference. Wherever you attend, your focus in vet school should be learning how to think like a doctor. Honing those skills to the research realm is the focus of your residency, not vet school. Yes, Wisconsin has a National Primate Center. So do the states of Washington, Georgia, and Louisiana- just to name a few. Externship opportunities abound at various lab animal facilities across the country- including the NPCs, as well as other facilities associated with NHPs (i.e. contract research firms, breeding facilities). Not all of your training in LAM will be associated with NHPs, so I recommend that you familiarize yourself with other aspects of the field before committing to LAM long term. As for that 'other' university in Michigan (lol :ninja:), yes, they have a large, well-respected animal research program as well as one of the original LAM training programs in the US. If you end up at MSU, I recommend checking UM out for extramural experience. My resident-mate attended UW Madison, and is an excellent clinical vet. You'll do great, wherever you go. Focus on your coursework, find a mentor (or several), and schedule externships that will demonstrate your commitment to the field. The rest will fall into place. Best of success!

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you all soooooo much for all the great suggestions and insights!!! I was on an international trip last few weeks, so I apologize for my late response. I truly appreciate all of your time and efforts in helping me out. Like most of you pointed out, both of them are great schools and you cannot believe how happy I am to be torn between these two schools. I am gonna visit Wisconsin this week (because I missed their open house..). Hope the trip can help me make the final decision! THANKS again!

One more question for Wisconsin folks:

How do you like your curriculum? Is it more or less well-balanced or there is a particular year that you find it difficult? To me, the 3rd year seems much busier than the 1st or 2nd, but I have never been a vet student so what do I know...

Any inputs will be much appreciated! @Cobyology @gotadognamedbiden I figure we are the same year... but if you have any thoughts!

Reactions: 1 user
One more question for Wisconsin folks:

How do you like your curriculum? Is it more or less well-balanced or there is a particular year that you find it difficult? To me, the 3rd year seems much busier than the 1st or 2nd, but I have never been a vet student so what do I know...

Any inputs will be much appreciated! @Cobyology @gotadognamedbiden I figure we are the same year... but if you have any thoughts!

Sorry this is late. The website redesign made it so I can never sign in on a computer from my workplace ever again, since I can't clear cookies on those computers.

I think 3rd year is just different than 2nd year, from talking with friends of mine in all years of the curriculum. 2nd and 3rd are probably the busiest. 1st year they try to ease you in to the curriculum, and from what I've been told, the second semester of 1st year is much more challenging than the first semester. It just gradually builds on itself until 4th year, when you'll get your blue coat and officially enter clinics.

What did you decide?

Sorry this is late. The website redesign made it so I can never sign in on a computer from my workplace ever again, since I can't clear cookies on those computers.

I think 3rd year is just different than 2nd year, from talking with friends of mine in all years of the curriculum. 2nd and 3rd are probably the busiest. 1st year they try to ease you in to the curriculum, and from what I've been told, the second semester of 1st year is much more challenging than the first semester. It just gradually builds on itself until 4th year, when you'll get your blue coat and officially enter clinics.

What did you decide?

Thanks for getting back to me. I visited Wisconsin and fell in love with it. My impression of UWSVM is that they are quite practical people. They don't change their curriculum just because it is a trend to do so, but sounds like they wanted to change it based on needs. I did not make it to the open house day and I was on a separate tour so I did not get a chance to talk to current students. It was hard to turn down other schools though. They are all great schools. I was pulled off from the alternate list at Cornell this morning. My parents and my boyfriend think I should go to Cornell because I did my undergrad in NY and Cornell has been my dream school for so many years. I am still debating because I really want to make a decision that I won't regret tomorrow. I am sure I won't go wrong with either choice though.

BTW, I did not expect Madison to be so pet-unfriendly until I started looking into housing. :(

BTW, I did not expect Madison to be so pet-unfriendly until I started looking into housing. :(

Yeah, it can be challenging. I will say that most vet students here do rent and have pets, and there are pet-friendly rental options near the west end of campus in a radius around the vet school. I think the underlying issue is that finding apartments right now in Madison is tougher than it used to be, due to many young professionals moving here for new/growing biotech companies like Epic. The city is growing because it's a nice place to live and has made an effort to be biotech-friendly, but they didn't plan for a housing cushion. With the rental market so tight, a lot of landlords feel like they can set whatever terms they want and charge whatever rent they want. Hence, NO PETS ALLOWED apartment listings.

I've been able to find plenty of places that allow pets. I've just had to look at houses, too, and not just apartments. Also, mention that you would be a vet student. I've had some places say that they would make an exception because of that.

Reactions: 1 users
I've been able to find plenty of places that allow pets. I've just had to look at houses, too, and not just apartments. Also, mention that you would be a vet student. I've had some places say that they would make an exception because of that.

That's a really good idea! Most landlords would much prefer to rent to graduate students than the alternative, so they may be flexible.