Wisconsin vs Minnesota

Started by WIDairy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

WIDairy

C/O 2015!!
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone! So I am stuck trying to choose between two great veterinary schools and I am having a tough time deciding 😕 Does anyone have any suggestions on what school they feel more strongly about. I am IS at Madison, but tuition is not an issue since I was a offered a scholarship from Minnesota making tuition even between the two...I am also planning on focusing on food animal (dairy mainly). Any suggestions would be great!!!! Thanks 😀
 
I'm not a dairy person, but a lot of my classmates at UW are. The school has a teaching herd of dairy cows close to campus where you'll do your large animal physical exams class, and the various instructors for that have been fantastic. For the rest of the course, we're going on field trips to different farms around the area. Not totally sure what we'll be doing there, but I believe one of them is to a goat farm. Our Production Medicine club (composed of bovine, swine, small ruminant clubs) is very active, though I don't know specifically what they offer, as I don't go to those meetings. I do have a friend that is doing a bovine hoof trimming lab this weekend though.

Specific interests aside, I do feel like I'm getting a great education here and I really like the city. Most of the teachers are fantastic, particularly for anatomy, which I didn't think was nearly as bad as some of the comments on SDN might make you think.
 
A dairy vet I shadow in Southern Wisco has said the two are about equal in terms of a dairy education. I consider him somewhat objective since he went to neither, and takes in/externs from both. 😉

He's probably right. If tuition really is equal (wow that's a big scholarship-- $80k!?), pick which city/state/curriculum you like better. Nice to have choices!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
UMN offers scholarships for vet students? Can you elaborate on that?

Per the UMN CVM website:

Multicultural Scholarship in Food Animal Medicine
The College of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Minnesota is pleased to offer scholarships to exceptional DVM applicants from underrepresented populations who are interested in food animal medicine.

USDA-sponsored program includes four years of support that:
• waives of out-of-state tuition
• provides an annual $6,000 tuition stipend
• allows up to $1,000 per year for books and supplies

Awardees must:
• be a US citizen
• possess a strong GPA
• be admitted into the DVM program for Fall 2011
• have prior work, research, or veterinary experience with food animal species

There are many other scholarships that we as residents can apply for as well, though they don't specifically list them on the website like they do this scholarship...
 
Thanks for clarifying Aspen324...I was a recipient of the above scholarship. Thanks everyone for your insights so far 🙂
 
Thanks for clarifying Aspen324...I was a recipient of the above scholarship. Thanks everyone for your insights so far 🙂

Congrats on your scholarship! That's pretty awesome and a really nice deal for you, though it definitely makes the decision more difficult. What did you think of UMNs contract with the giant diary farm where you do a lot of your rotations? Sounded kind of cool and a great experience. I think they have around 3000 dairy cows and dorms on site for vet students. During our interview day admissions said the students would experience around 25-30 calvings a day. Not to mention anything and everything that could go wrong with 3000 cows on one farm.
 
Wow, that contract with the big dairy herd seems REALLY cool. The dairy vet I shadowed graduated from UW in 2007 I think and she wasn't super impressed with the dairy opportunities they had. I mean, it really is all what you make it but she said she had to learn a lot once she got a job at her first clinic.

When I applied to MN last year I was really interested in going there because they actually have a study abroad program specifically for the vet school, which I thought was really cool, but I know not everyone is into that. Just thought I'd mention it.
 
Per the UMN CVM website:

Multicultural Scholarship in Food Animal Medicine
The College of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Minnesota is pleased to offer scholarships to exceptional DVM applicants from underrepresented populations who are interested in food animal medicine.

USDA-sponsored program includes four years of support that:
• waives of out-of-state tuition
• provides an annual $6,000 tuition stipend
• allows up to $1,000 per year for books and supplies

Awardees must:
• be a US citizen
• possess a strong GPA
• be admitted into the DVM program for Fall 2011
• have prior work, research, or veterinary experience with food animal species

There are many other scholarships that we as residents can apply for as well, though they don't specifically list them on the website like they do this scholarship...

As a guy going into vet school, am I applicable as 'underrepresented population'?? haha
 
Hey WIDairy, did you happen to finalize your decision yet? 😀

I have finally decided! 99% sure I'm going to be heading to Madison this fall...it will be 100% when I send the slip in on Monday committing to attending 😀
I hope someone great gets the spot at Minnesota!
 
I have finally decided! 99% sure I'm going to be heading to Madison this fall...it will be 100% when I send the slip in on Monday committing to attending 😀
I hope someone great gets the spot at Minnesota!

You'll love it! 🙂 I go to UMN, but my boyfriend lives in Madison and I've kind of been scouting out UW as a residency option. Fun city, nice school.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad