Wisdom Teeth Operation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dtrain1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I underwent operation about 4 days ago, I received local anesthesia and had my bottom two wisdom teeth removed. My bottom right wisdom tooth was coming in at almost 90 degree angle and was under the gum. It was very close to a nerve in the x-rays, which is why my dentist sent me to the oral surgeon.

Anyways, the oral surgeon said everything went fine but it's been five days and I STILL feel a numb sensation in my jaw; it's as if its still a little swelled up and it worsens whenever I eat. This is freaking me out and I hope to God it isn't a permanent side effect or I will be seriously pissed off at this dentist/oral surgeon. I feel the numbness every second I am awake, it is like hell, please help me, is this normal? I am going to see him again in like 2 or 3 days, but until then... how long does it take for wisdom teeth to completely heal?

Members don't see this ad.

Actually I just did some research on this (not to say that I have the definitive answer by any means though). From a couple of the studies that I looked at, it can take up to 6 months for your mouth to return completely to normal, BUT if there is still numbness at 3-4 months then you should ask about having the oral surgeon go in and make sure there is no problems.

Now the more realistic part, If the extraction was only a couple of days ago, then there are many reasons why it can be numb still, especially if the nerve was close to the extracted tooth. The nerve may have been stretched a little, or torn some, but most likely there is pressure on it from swelling associated to the area (from the trauma of pulling your tooth out).

At this point you probably don't need to worry about it, when is your follow up visit?

grtuck

Let me give you my experiences. I had a right lower wisdom tooth removed (#32) Well, it looked to be near/in/on the canal to which the nerve runs through there. The oral surgeon here, which was a friend, told me all the stuff I already knew, about paralysis etc.... Well after the first couple of days, I started to get worried about not getting feeling back. Its not that bad though, as the only time it really bothered me was when I took a shower and then the water seemed warm on one side and cold on the other side of my face! BUT after a slow 4 or 6 weeks, then it started to creep back and after 12 or so weeks I am as good as new.

The root of the tooth after we jerked it had a concavity on it that looked just like it was wrapping around either the canal or the nerve.

But I would say that you should get your feeling back, it may just take some time and getting used to!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
this has nothing to do with the numbness, but make sure to ask for an irrigation syringe if you don't already have one. it will make the next couple months a lot more comfortable, as those gaps back there are healing. keeping them clean will help them heal faster, avoid excess pain from irritation, and avoid your mouth tasting like * from stored food. i wish i'd of known about those when i had mine out.

Same here bio girl!!!!!!