wisdom teeth...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

avinash

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
is the surgery that bad?.....right now my teeth havent broken through the skin, u cant even see em but on the x rays, there growing crooked big time... Also how long does it take to recover, cause if i get it done during the term i dont want it affected my grades?

Members don't see this ad.

it isn't bad at all. i was fuzzy for the first day but fine by the second day. by the second day i was eating semi-solid foods (ie mashed potatoes, jello, icecream). i only had minimum amounts of swelling, but that was also due to the fact that i was careful and religiously iced it during the first day. even by the second day you're back to normal functionally, getting up and around--the only thing not back to 100% is your ability to chew and swallow. the only thing that bothered me about the entire procedure was when the dissolvable stitches were coming out--it felt like i was swallowing string for two days.

as for the people who claim it's so painful, the swelling made them look like a chipmunk, blahblah--those are just the wussies who are closet hypochondriacs. either way, your dr will give you a prescription for pain meds.

vandy_yankee said:
it isn't bad at all. i was fuzzy for the first day but fine by the second day. by the second day i was eating semi-solid foods (ie mashed potatoes, jello, icecream). i only had minimum amounts of swelling, but that was also due to the fact that i was careful and religiously iced it during the first day. even by the second day you're back to normal functionally, getting up and around--the only thing not back to 100% is your ability to chew and swallow. the only thing that bothered me about the entire procedure was when the dissolvable stitches were coming out--it felt like i was swallowing string for two days.

as for the people who claim it's so painful, the swelling made them look like a chipmunk, blahblah--those are just the wussies who are closet hypochondriacs. either way, your dr will give you a prescription for pain meds.
Nice personal account--but for your lofty condescension toward the "closet hypochondriac wussies," you might consider that one person's experience in oral surgery can't be extrapolated to the whole population.

Members don't see this ad :)
aphistis said:
Nice personal account--but for your lofty condescension toward the "closet hypochondriac wussies," you might consider that one person's experience in oral surgery can't be extrapolated to the whole population.

Do you ever get tired of commenting on every thread? :laugh:

I personally have no had an experience with wisdom teeth but several of my friends in high school have. One of my friends had surgery one morning and was back at school in time to go and have lunch with me. She ate yogurt for lunch and made it through the rest of the school day without any problems. I think that everyone's pain tolerance is different and people respond to stress (ie wisdom teeth extractions) differently.

Just pray when they yank the uppers that they dont make a hole to your maxillary sinus. Or that they damage related cranial nerves and cause you to loose taste/sensation etc. Hope you sleep good tonight!

avinash said:
is the surgery that bad?.....right now my teeth havent broken through the skin, u cant even see em but on the x rays, there growing crooked big time... Also how long does it take to recover, cause if i get it done during the term i dont want it affected my grades?

i haven't had it done but i assist an oral surgeon and about 80% of the procedures we do are 3rd molar extractions, almost all of the patients are fine after 2 or 3 days and the surgery itself isn't bad at all considering u won't even know it's happening! it's always funny when a patient wakes up from the anesthesia and doesn't believe that the surgery is over with :laugh:

the key thing is about a week afterwards make sure you rinse the lowers religiously until they have comopletely healed (they should give u a special curved tip syringe at your post-op visit) or they will heal with food trapped in and cause a bad infection requiring it to be cut open and drained :scared: