Wise choice for a non-science LoR? Also how soon is too soon to ask for a LoR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Immaculate.Rose

Reaction score
I'm a Non-Traditional student pursuing an MA in Theology in addition to my post-bacc. My dream is to one day start my own faith-based mental health facility, if not just get involved in faith-based medicine, so my MA degree is highly relevant to my pursuit of my medical degree.

I have a Theology professor who I have a great relationship with whom I would like to ask for a LoR from, but I am wondering if this is a wise choice for a non-science LoR; would some ADCOM's without a religious outlook be wary of a recommendation coming from such a source, or is it to be expected that I select a professor from my Master's program as a non-science LoR?

Also how soon is too soon to ask for a LoR? I will be starting my post-bacc in September, which is around the same time I will finish my second class with this professor, and I would like to ask her for the LoR while I am still fresh in her mind. My post-bacc is 2 years long with a gap year, so it will be quite some time until I will be applying for med schools, but I believe that I can store the letter with my school's pre-med committee or Interfolio. Any advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

It’s fine to ask a theology professor for a LoR but give them guidance from the AAMC for how to write a letter. Just ensure they speak to the competencies listed (thinking and reading, pre-professional).

It is never too soon to ask for a letter of rec. you don’t want to wait till they can’t really remember you. My strategy was to ask for a letter of rec early, and have it stored either on an online service or with the school, and then 4 weeks before applying I asked for a letter with updated dates (took 2 minutes).