With IA's or any legal issues, what does getting an II mean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't speak directly about IAs and stuff like that but interviews themselves vary widely amongst schools. Some will be "open" where the interviewer has your whole file and can see everything about you. Some are "partially open" where they might have your personal statement and activities, or something like that. Some are partially closed in the sense that they have all your written stuff but not your GPA or MCAT. Some are "closed" where the interviewer doesn't have any information on your besides your name.

And even if a school has a policy for interviewers, some will choose not to read your file prior to the interview so that they can meet you and make a judgment based on the interview alone and then use your file to read later to form a stronger conclusion.

So, I guess some interviews at some schools will know about your IAs and some won't. The best way to find out is to look at the school specific threads, sometimes people who interviewed there already will mention what the interviewer had access to. Also, you might be able to find out the information on the schools website. Alternatively, some schools let you know what the interviewers have access to through their correspondence with you after you receive an II.

I am not the best person to give advice on this but I would say have a good way to answer questions about IAs but don't bring them up unless you're asked about them. You should wait to hear from some of the adcoms though. Hope that helps, good luck!

Most schools can interview only a fraction of the applicants. They won't waste an interview invitation on an applicant who is inadmissable so whether it is a MCAT of 475 or a prison record for grand theft or something else, if you aren't getting in for having that on your application you are not going to find someone who will waste their time interviewing you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that this is the most likely case in most schools, but I think @Goro has stated that his school doesn't screen for II's past MCAT and GPA standards and some apps are DOA. I may have misinterpreted though.

I doubt that Goro's school only looks at MCAT and GPA for IIs. They would have far too many candidates to interview.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile