With my stats should I start considering DO? Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NYCmedschoolapp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
GPA: 3.54
Non-science: 3.60
Science: 3.52

ECs:
-Volunteer - 100 hospital volunteer hours (with patient contact), 25 hours at a organization that ships donated medical supplies abroad
-Shadowing - 75 Ob/gyn shadowing hours
-3 medical mission trips abroad
-Clinical research project at a high school for adolescents with mental illness.
-Lab research project - anti-viral drug optimization for HIV (currently working here)
-Leadership - co-led a female group therapy session at aforementioned school
-Community - organized events and volunteered at a local youth group (over 7 years)
- School clubs - a minority pre-med group, science club, art club
-Paid employment - I've worked 6 years for the same non-medically related company. Spent a summer working in a medical malpractice firm.

Other things to note:
-Full merit-based scholarship at my undergrad
-Hispanic with semi-fluent language skills
-NYS resident
-I'm applying to all of the NYS schools as well as some schools in NJ, D.C., PA and Boston.

I think the weakest part of my application is my GPA and possibly that it is very clinically heavy and slightly lab research weak. However, I thought I still had a decent shot at MD and I wasn't even considering DO until all of these posts frightened me! Do I have a shot at MD (at least the schools mentioned above)? Should I consider DO?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
From what you've listed, it seems like you a have really nice app. If financially possible, add in some private schools outside of the East Coast with MCAT scores in the 30-32 range (ex. Creighton, SLU, Loyola all fit this bill and will look especially favorably on your service work). Good luck!

:laugh: Haha dude chill. You have a good shot at MD. Just apply broadly and early.