With PhDs in "Developmental" and "School Psych" are you actually a licensed psychologist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaceyLPC

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title is pretty self-explanatory in the question I have. I see within many programs there is a branch of developmental psych, experimental, neuropsychology, school psych etc.

Are you actually a licensed, able to practice psychologist in all of these?

Members don't see this ad.

Doctoral degrees in developmental, experimental, social, etc. are strictly academic/research degrees that do not prepare you for clinical practice. They do not include clinical practica, and there is no requirement to complete an internship year. Hence, they tend to be completed in fewer years.

School psychology, counseling psychology, and clinical psychology programs can lead to licensure if they are accredited by the APA (some states will also accept a doctoral degree from an unaccredited program that is "equivalent," but this mechanism is falling out of favor). States require completion of the Ph.D., including a year-long full-time internship, and some states require additional postdoctoral experience prior to licensure.

It is also possible for a school to offer a doctoral degree in clinical psychology without meeting requirements for APA accreditation. Many online programs do just that, and conveniently gloss over the fact that they do not satisfy licensure requirements.

Reactions: 2 users
I am a licensed psychologist with a doctoral degree in school psychology. School psychology is a less common path to a license than counseling or clinical, but can be a strong choice depending on your specific career goal. What do you want to do with your degree?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a licensed psychologist with a doctoral degree in school psychology. School psychology is a less common path to a license than counseling or clinical, but can be a strong choice depending on your specific career goal. What do you want to do with your degree?

I definitely think I'd like more of the clinical side, I love doing therapy (I'm already an LPC), but I was under the impression school psychs are fairly limited to having to work IN an education environment, can't do diagnosing, etc. I don't actually want to work IN a school. At all. Although I am highly interested in the assessment side of things.

Also, thanks MamaPHD--that pretty much tells me everything I need to know!