Withdraw Application Post-interview/Pre-Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringtexasdoctor1234

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone first time posting here because I am in a very difficult situation.

The main question: How do schools look at a reapplicant who withdrew post-interview/pre-acceptance the previous cycle?

GPA: ~3.9, MCAT: ~27, strong ECs. non-URM.

I am a current applicant in this cycle and I received 2 early interview invites (1-MD, 1DO). I am truly blessed and thankful - no doubt about it.

The reason why I am contemplating withdrawing from these schools is because my wife recently received an amazing job offer at city X and obviously we both want her to take this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. The lower tier MD school I interviewed is WAY too far from city X (and I liked it, but not enough to convince my wife to drop the job offer and join me) but the DO school is relatively close to city X. (After the interview, I realized that I didn't like the DO school as much as I thought and I would really prefer an MD. But I guess I am open to attend this school if accepted...)

This is still early on in the application, and I don't even know whether I will receive acceptances from these two schools (and I probably won't because of my low MCAT). But I am worried that if I do receive an acceptance, I would have to go there no matter what, which would be very troublesome (especially for the MD school) because I do not want to live apart from my wife for 4 years.

So should I withdraw my application from these two schools, retake the MCAT, and reapply in hopes of either receiving an offer from a school that I really love (love enough to the point that I would convince my wife to come) or from schools near by city X?

@Goro @gyngyn and anybody, but I really want to hear from Adcoms..

Thank you so much in advanced...

- Anguished Husband.

Members don't see this ad.

Are talking about re-applying to the same school? I suspect that they will view you dimly. From personal experience, I've had student make sacrifices to live apart from loved ones for 1-2 years.

MD schools have no way of knowing if you've received accepts from DO schools and vice-versa.

Concerning the DO school you've been accepted to, beggars can't be choosy.

There is no guarantee that you can improve on your MCAT performance as well.

How badly do you want to be a doctor? personally, I'd rather see those seats go to someone who really wants to attend those schools.

Hello everyone first time posting here because I am in a very difficult situation.

The main question: How do schools look at a reapplicant who withdrew post-interview/pre-acceptance the previous cycle?

I am a current applicant in this cycle and I received 2 early interview invites (1-MD, 1DO). I am truly blessed and thankful - no doubt about it.

The reason why I am contemplating withdrawing from these schools is because my wife recently received an amazing job offer at city X and obviously we both want her to take this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. The lower tier MD school I interviewed is WAY too far from city X (and I liked it, but not enough to convince my wife to drop the job offer and join me) but the DO school is relatively close to city X. (After the interview, I realized that I didn't like the DO school as much as I thought and I would really prefer an MD. But I guess I am open to attend this school if accepted...)

This is still early on in the application, and I don't even know whether I will receive acceptances from these two schools (and I probably won't because of my low MCAT). But I am worried that if I do receive an acceptance, I would have to go there no matter what, which would be very troublesome (especially for the MD school) because I do not want to live apart from my wife for 4 years.

So should I withdraw my application from these two schools, retake the MCAT, and reapply in hopes of either receiving an offer from a school that I really love (love enough to the point that I would convince my wife to come) or from schools near by city X?

- Anguished Husband.

Reactions: 1 users
Are talking about re-applying to the same school? I suspect that they will view you dimly. From personal experience, I've had student make sacrifices to live apart from loved ones for 1-2 years.

MD schools have no way of knowing if you've received accepts from DO schools and vice-versa.

Concerning the DO school you've been accepted to, beggars can't be choosy.

There is no guarantee that you can improve on your MCAT performance as well.

How badly do you want to be a doctor? personally, I'd rather see those seats go to someone who really wants to attend those schools.

Thank you so much for your reply. Do you know the answer to my first question: How do schools look at a reapplicant who withdrew post-interview/pre-acceptance the previous cycle?

Also, I will not be reapplying the same schools.

1 or 2 years are fine, but 4 years is not really of my interest.

and I agree that beggars can't be choosers and improvement on the MCAT isn't guaranteed, which is why I am still thinking about the DO school.

I really appreciate the reply @Goro.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The schools will not know you did this.

Thank you so much for your reply. Do you know the answer to my first question: How do schools look at a reapplicant who withdrew post-interview/pre-acceptance the previous cycle?

Also, I will not be reapplying the same schools.

1 or 2 years are fine, but 4 years is not really of my interest.

What if both MD and DO school is from TX?

and I agree that beggars can't be choosers and improvement on the MCAT isn't guaranteed, which is why I am still thinking about the DO school.

I really appreciate the reply @Goro.

Reactions: 1 user

- Anguished Husband.

Withdraw from MD. Stay with DO. As wise Mr. Goro says, beggars can't be choosers and you shouldn't eliminate a school without a significant chance for a better option. With your current MCAT and potential geographic options limited in future cycle, you don't have that. Wasting a year with the hope of getting into another school near city X (BTW how many other schools are we talking about...?) or some "better school" that you will be able to convince wife to come to and also improving your MCAT significantly to improve your chances for an MD only approach is folly. This all might be moot and you might not get into the DO, but if you do, you should count your blessings that you have an acceptance to a school that you can be with your spouse at. I know many couples that didn't have this luxury.

Reactions: 1 users