Withdraw from Physics to save GPA or take the potential loss?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RyanM3

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off I'd like to apologize for how specific this question is as I dont see the potential responses benefiting anyone besides me and also for the overall length/complexity of this post, however these forums are just about the only guidance I have on the path to MD. As for some background I'm currently a sophomore at a local community college in Ny state, my completed classes so so far pertaining to med school pre-reqs are Gen Bio 1&2 and psychology, along with other electives and gen ed courses I currently have a 3.89 gpa.

My issue lies in this years courses, Im currently registered in Physics 1, Calc 1 and Inorganic Chem 1, when registering for these classes I knew the challenge and was well equipped to handle it however unfortunately as life goes recently during the beginning of the semester I had a family issue arise that will unfortunately take a large chunk of my time and focus which makes getting an A in all three courses borderline impossible. My plan was to simply withdraw from Physics and enroll in something less demanding such as A&P 1 however I can no longer add or swap classes, only drop them.

Currently than my only options are to withdraw from physics (luckily it wont show up on my transcript due to how early I'm choosing to leave the class) and take only chem 1 and calc 1 this semester and make up for the credits by taking A&p 1 over the spring semester and a&P 2 during the summer in order for me to graduate on time. My worry with this plan is that down the line Med schools may see this as me trying to avoid harder course loads not only by taking the cc route but also for this potentially new schedule and think negatively of it. At this point I'm torn but any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Again sorry for the odd question and also please let me know if I can provide any more information to make the situation more clear. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm currently a sophomore at a local community college in Ny state, my completed classes so so far pertaining to med school pre-reqs are Gen Bio 1&2 and psychology, along with other electives and gen ed courses I currently have a 3.89 gpa.

My issue lies in this years courses, Im currently registered in Physics 1, Calc 1 and Inorganic Chem 1, when registering for these classes I knew the challenge and was well equipped to handle it however unfortunately as life goes recently during the beginning of the semester I had a family issue arise that will unfortunately take a large chunk of my time and focus which makes getting an A in all three courses borderline impossible. My plan was to simply withdraw from Physics and enroll in something less demanding such as A&P 1 however I can no longer add or swap classes, only drop them.

Currently than my only options are to withdraw from physics (luckily it wont show up on my transcript due to how early I'm choosing to leave the class) and take only chem 1 and calc 1 this semester and make up for the credits by taking A&p 1 over the spring semester and a&P 2 during the summer in order for me to graduate on time. My worry with this plan is that down the line Med schools may see this as me trying to avoid harder course loads not only by taking the cc route but also for this potentially new schedule and think negatively of it.
If you drop the class before the deadline and it won't show up on your transcript as a W, med schools will never know you had planned to take it for that term. It's OK to go to school part-time, so long as you are otherwise busy. So take care of your family and don't worry about adcomm perceptions. You can prove your academic mettle when you get to the four-year school.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So than you don't think taking only two courses in this semester will cause too much of an issue down the line for me?

You said it yourself, you have family issues to attend to and this is a great, responsible reason to take a W.

Reactions: 1 users