Withdraw pre-decision?

Started by sm888
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

sm888

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone, I am in a bit of a confusing situation that I would love some insight on. I am currently waitlisted at two schools and waiting to hear from two others - no acceptances yet. In November of this current cycle, when I still had no interview invites, I decided to apply to a brand new medical school, and ended up getting an interview there (this is one of the schools I am waiting to hear from). However, after learning more about the school in the interview (mostly about aspects of it being a new school) and doing some reflecting, I am not sure it is a great fit for me - I think I would rather reapply than attend here. I am considering withdrawing my application from this school post-interview but pre-decision to avoid potentially reapplying with an acceptance.

Given this, my main question is:
If I withdraw my application pre-decision, will this look bad? Will other med schools be able to find out about this either this cycle or next if I reapply?

I of course don't want to jeopardize my chances at med school - but I really don't think this school would be a good fit for me. Would love to hear some people's thoughts - thank you so much!
 
Last edited:
Withdrawal before you go farther in the process will not show up on any application portals. If you do it before being offered acceptance you won’t have to report it anywhere either, is this what you’re thinking?
If you don’t have an offer from your WLs and need to reapply, you probably won’t want this school on your next list.
 
Withdrawal before you go farther in the process will not show up on any application portals. If you do it before being offered acceptance you won’t have to report it anywhere either, is this what you’re thinking?
If you don’t have an offer from your WLs and need to reapply, you probably won’t want this school on your next list.
Yes this is exactly what I was wondering - thank you so much for the info!