Withdraw WITHDRAW!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JourneyToMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, could someone please give me info on how to withdraw an acceptance??
Can we just write an email?
Do we call?
Do we have to mail in a hard copy?
How does this work?

Members don't see this ad.

hardcopy is best. i think emails work too though, but check on this one.

they don't take calls, so don't even bother.

Hi, could someone please give me info on how to withdraw an acceptance??
Can we just write an email?
Do we call?
Do we have to mail in a hard copy?
How does this work?

They just need it in writing. I've done mine by e-mail, and it's been fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah at this point use email - it may get messy if they don't receive the hardcopy in time. Email was fine for the two schools I withdrew from. If they really need it in writing they'll tell you they need you to fax/mail a hardcopy, but can at least start processing your withdrawal.

Yeah at this point use email - it may get messy if they don't receive the hardcopy in time. Email was fine for the two schools I withdrew from. If they really need it in writing they'll tell you they need you to fax/mail a hardcopy, but can at least start processing your withdrawal.

And what are you guys writing in your withdrawal letters? "Peace out", "Ain't coming" or what? I'm not sure how to word my letter without sounding like a jerk. :oops:

And what are you guys writing in your withdrawal letters? "Peace out", "Ain't coming" or what? I'm not sure how to word my letter without sounding like a jerk. :oops:

Heres what mine was:
Dear ___________:

After careful consideration, I have decided to withdraw my acceptance and forfeit my seat for the ___________, class of 2011. It was an honor to be offered a place in your 2007 entering class, but I have decided to matriculate at another university for personal reasons.

Thank you for your consideration, and I truly regret that I will not be able to attend ___________ in the Fall.

Sincerely,

Name
AMCAS # __________

I think there's something to be said about short and to the point while still being polite.

Email is fine:

"I appreciate your offer of admission. Ii is truly a privilege to have been admitted to such a prestigious institution. Unfortunately, for personal/financial reasons I cannot accept you offer. Thank you."

Something like that

this is a stupid question--is today the last day to do it or is it tomorrow? i can't figure out if we have to do it before may 15 or if we can still do it on may 15

this is a stupid question--is today the last day to do it or is it tomorrow? i can't figure out if we have to do it before may 15 or if we can still do it on may 15

My personal understanding... you're supposed to be withdrawn by May 15th, which would mean today is the last day to withdraw. Do I think they'll give everybody until tomorrow? yes.

just called 4 schools all said email tomorrow.

I was told by my schools that an e-mail had to be sent by the end of the day TOMORROW.

Captain Obvious here.

Is one more day really going to make a difference in anyone's decision? Just send the damn email already.

I'm just curious...should I expect to receive a response to a withdrawal email? e.g. confirmation that they got my notice of withdrawal?

I'm just curious...should I expect to receive a response to a withdrawal email? e.g. confirmation that they got my notice of withdrawal?

I got one via email a day or two later. The other I got via mail a week or so later.

But yes you should get some type of confirmation.

Captain Obvious here.

Is one more day really going to make a difference in anyone's decision? Just send the damn email already.

you're out of line, soldier! every second of the battle counts!

-general annoyance

Perfect!

Heres what mine was:

Dear ___________:

After careful consideration, I have decided to withdraw my acceptance and forfeit my seat for the ___________, class of 2011. It was an honor to be offered a place in your 2007 entering class, but I have decided to matriculate at another university for personal reasons.

Thank you for your consideration, and I truly regret that I will not be able to attend ___________ in the Fall.

Sincerely,

Name
AMCAS # __________

I think there's something to be said about short and to the point while still being polite.

Captain Obvious here.

It kinda does because I just received admission earlier today and have to make a serious decision within 24 hours. :eek:

Captain Obvious here.

It will for me--I am going to hear about a school's scholarship tomorrow. Sorry Captain.

It kinda does because I just received admission earlier today and have to make a serious decision within 24 hours. :eek:

It will for me--I am going to hear about a school's scholarship tomorrow. Sorry Captain.

Fine. Captain Obvious has been demoted to Major Pain. You guys have a good excuse. But for most of the people who are holding multiple acceptances at this point, there's really no good reason.