Withdrawal or C for Pre-Dent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quagggaa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a freshman in my second semester a university and I am wanting to attend dental school.

I got a 3.56 my first semester, but this semester I took 17 credits and my current french class is bringing me down. The grade will mostly likely be a C, bringing down my GPA. I'm considering dropping the course and taking a W instead. However I took french pass/fail my first semester so I'm not sure how good that would look.

I'm pretty confident in getting a 4.0 GPA for the semester if I took the W and dropped french, along with a pass/fail french grade from first semester on my transcript.

However, I could risk maintaining my GPA if I worked EXTREMELY hard to get A's in my other classes and get a C in french for a GPA of 3.5, but could easily turn into a 3.3/3.4 if i cant.

I'm just not sure what dental schools are looking for and how much it would hurt my chances of getting in.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

in general I think: passing it P/F > W > C

However its a french class so dental schools probably wont care much about what you do with it and over ~120 credits it will have little impact on your gpa.

If you go with a W will you need to retake it for your degree? If so I would just stick it out and take it P/F if you can.

That's a tough one. I would suggest definitely talking to a pre-health advisor asap at your school about it before you do anything or take advice from here.

That said I don't think it will really matter in the long run. 1 C will not significantly affect your GPA 4 years from now and taking a W makes it look like you were failing. Not to mention that if you ever need to take a W for something - you will have used up your 1 get out of jail free card here. It is just your freshman year, most people have terrible freshmen years and it sounds like you already have a pretty solid GPA to work with.

For the future though, avoid taking any more P/F courses. Graduate schools don't like to see any of those, but you can slip by with 1.

Just my two cents, but definitely talk to your PRE-HEALTH advisor.

EDIT: And I would definitely take the C if you are taking french to fulfill a requirement. At least you won't have to worry about satisfying that req in the future, even if it is a C.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
should i risk bringing down my GPA to a 3.3/3.4 ?

take the W if you think you are getting the C. if you would get credit for the P/F if you pass towards your requirement at your college, then go with P/F, if not, go with W, so you can focus on doing well at your other classes.

I'm currently a freshman in my second semester a university and I am wanting to attend dental school.

I got a 3.56 my first semester, but this semester I took 17 credits and my current french class is bringing me down. The grade will mostly likely be a C, bringing down my GPA. I'm considering dropping the course and taking a W instead. However I took french pass/fail my first semester so I'm not sure how good that would look.

I'm pretty confident in getting a 4.0 GPA for the semester if I took the W and dropped french, along with a pass/fail french grade from first semester on my transcript.

However, I could risk maintaining my GPA if I worked EXTREMELY hard to get A's in my other classes and get a C in french for a GPA of 3.5, but could easily turn into a 3.3/3.4 if i cant.

I'm just not sure what dental schools are looking for and how much it would hurt my chances of getting in.

Thanks!

Just take the W and move on man! It's way better than a C anyway. Remember, W does not count toward your gpa. Btw, french?? I strongly believe dental school will look pass it. GL