Withdrawing After Signing Contract

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Niko

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I matched into a PGY-1 IM residency spot and have already signed the contract. Just recently a family crisis has occurred, and I can forsee no way that I can fulfill my obligations given my present state of mind. Does anybody have any advice as to what I can do, or whether I would be able to defer. This was definitely an unforseen event...I would not have evn entered the match given the present circumstances.

Members don't see this ad.

Niko said:
I matched into a PGY-1 IM residency spot and have already signed the contract. Just recently a family crisis has occurred, and I can forsee no way that I can fulfill my obligations given my present state of mind. Does anybody have any advice as to what I can do, or whether I would be able to defer. This was definitely an unforseen event...I would not have evn entered the match given the present circumstances.

It sounds like you're in a tough situation - I'm sorry and I hope things work out. First, I would call your program director. Explain your situation to them and see what they say - my guess is that they'll be understanding and help as they can. After talking with them you'll know better what your options are. You're going to want to be open and honest with them up front - that will certainly make it more likely that they'll work with you. Good luck.

Deferring the start of your residency is up to your Program Director. While no one likes to have a resident break their contract if you truly have a situation which affects your ability to start internship come July 1, contact the PD and discuss it with him or her. They may offer you a late start (ie, fall or December), offer a year deferment or let you out of your contract but with no promises for the future. You have to decide what options you are willing to take.

best of luck...

Niko said:

What are they going to do? Sue you? Don't be absurbd.... Of course you can pull out. Simply state your reasons in a politely worded letter.

they can't sue you, but can make things a bit harder if they're not understanding (but given your circumstances, i'm sure they will). although my situation was different (i switched fields altogether after my transitional year out of PMR and INTO internal medicine and also had family issues). my pmr program was required to 'report' me to the eras/nbme people (this is a new rule and applies to every program) and i was 'barred' from the match for a year that just recently ended. this meant that i could not go through the match for a year...but thatt didn't really affect me b/c my transitional year hospital took me in outside of the match. if your program can let you back in a year, then they may not need to report you...but just clarify everything before you sign or sign out. remember this bar period goes on your permanent record...although i'm not sure what value that could possibly have...but just fyi.

rrreagan said:
What are they going to do? Sue you? Don't be absurbd.... Of course you can pull out. Simply state your reasons in a politely worded letter.