Withdrawing an Acceptance/Deposit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hrf2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I was accepted to my second choice optometry college in early October, and I put the deposit down within two weeks and was very happy (albeit somewhat disappointed, I'll admit) with the choice. However, I heard back from my top choice (SUNY) that had put me on-hold, and Santa came early this year because I was accepted! I've been on cloud nine ever since.

Is there a polite/professional way to go about requesting my deposit back from the school I initially put a deposit down on? I know I can receive the deposit back from my second-choice until March 31, and it was a substantial amount of money, so I'd like to get it back and put it towards SUNY's deposit. I've never had to do something like this and I want to make sure I go about it in a way that's not rude or impolite. Thank you for your help in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

First off, CONGRATS ON SUNY!!! That's awesome!

To answer your question, if the other school said that you are able to receive the deposit back until March 31, I think they put that condition in because they know that students apply to other schools. I would just try to call in or simply write a professional email explaining you do not plan on attending their school, etc. I don't think you have to specifically tell them which school you chose etc. but it's best to let them know earlier than later and like you said so you can use the deposit on SUNY application (I know fees are crazy expensive so we gotta use what we can!)

It might be best to just call first and ask an Admissions person and try to ask what to do in that kind of situation. You don't have to say your name or anything, just give them a scenario. I'm sure they will give you tips/advice.

Good luck! Sounds like a tough situation, but you will get through this!

I had to do this to get my deposit back from SUNY as I had been accepted elsewhere. I read somewhere that I had to ask in writing, so I sent them an email asking what I had to send to get my deposit back, and they responded that the email I sent was good enough and they mailed me a cheque. It happens all the time, don't worry about it just be sure to get your money back.