Ephesus

10+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2006
Status (Visible)
Is this true:

Pass/Fail courses are also a no-go for pre-meds. If you withdraw from a class or take it Pass/Fail, a medical school will assign that grade the equivalent of a C- or lower.
from NYU's pre-med site

I withdrew from a semester due to health reasons. Does that mean I should not be looking at med schools because they'll calculate all of those courses as C-'s?

epigastric

Stewart U. Class of '11
10+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Is this true:

from NYU's pre-med site

I withdrew from a semester due to health reasons. Does that mean I should not be looking at med schools because they'll calculate all of those courses as C-'s?

AMCAS does not calculate WDR or P (on P/F classes) as C-s. WDRs show up only in terms of credit hours completed versus attempted (you won't have a completed hour where the WDR was) and passes show up as the opposite. I have no idea what that site is talking about -- perhaps some schools internally recalculate? That sounds like an awful lot of extra work when they can just use the AMCAS GPA.

As my undergraduate school required several key classes to be taken Pass/Fail, I sincerely doubt a P is considered a C- by medical schools. However, P/F for pre-req classes is always, always a bad thing.

And just to add: I also withdrew from two classes due to health reasons, and took two other classes mandatory P/F. As I have two interviews, it doesn't appear to have hurt me that much.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.