Withdrawing from a class = C- ???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ephesus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this true:

Pass/Fail courses are also a no-go for pre-meds. If you withdraw from a class or take it Pass/Fail, a medical school will assign that grade the equivalent of a C- or lower.
from NYU's pre-med site

I withdrew from a semester due to health reasons. Does that mean I should not be looking at med schools because they'll calculate all of those courses as C-'s?

Members don't see this ad.

Is this true:

from NYU's pre-med site

I withdrew from a semester due to health reasons. Does that mean I should not be looking at med schools because they'll calculate all of those courses as C-'s?

AMCAS does not calculate WDR or P (on P/F classes) as C-s. WDRs show up only in terms of credit hours completed versus attempted (you won't have a completed hour where the WDR was) and passes show up as the opposite. I have no idea what that site is talking about -- perhaps some schools internally recalculate? That sounds like an awful lot of extra work when they can just use the AMCAS GPA.

As my undergraduate school required several key classes to be taken Pass/Fail, I sincerely doubt a P is considered a C- by medical schools. However, P/F for pre-req classes is always, always a bad thing.

And just to add: I also withdrew from two classes due to health reasons, and took two other classes mandatory P/F. As I have two interviews, it doesn't appear to have hurt me that much.

Thanks. :) I was scared for a second.