Withdrawing from an elective

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Teleologist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I decided to take one of the easiest electives offered at my university - 80% of the students get As and on ratemyprofessor the teacher is almost universally lauded for being an easy teacher.

Yet I screwed up epically on the last test because I underestimated the course and decided to study the five minutes before I walked into the test. I'm now looking at maybe a B at most.

Some people tell me not to withdraw because a B isn't terrible, but on the other hand, I really want to withdraw, as I have found that I have no interest whatsoever in this elective. Withdrawing will allow me to focus on core courses without worrying about how to salvage my grade in this class. Then again, I heard that withdrawing doesn't look good because it sends a message that you are manipulating your GPA ...

So, would a W hurt my application to med schools? What about an application to my undergrad's medical school ... would they know/care that I had dropped perhaps the easiest course offered?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry for posting in the wrong section. Hopefully someone moves this soon.

no

I decided to take one of the easiest electives offered at my university - 80% of the students get As and on ratemyprofessor the teacher is almost universally lauded for being an easy teacher.

Yet I screwed up epically on the last test because I underestimated the course and decided to study the five minutes before I walked into the test. I'm now looking at maybe a B at most.

Some people tell me not to withdraw because a B isn't terrible, but on the other hand, I really want to withdraw, as I have found that I have no interest whatsoever in this elective. Withdrawing will allow me to focus on core courses without worrying about how to salvage my grade in this class. Then again, I heard that withdrawing doesn't look good because it sends a message that you are manipulating your GPA ...

So, would a W hurt my application to med schools? What about an application to my undergrad's medical school ... would they know/care that I had dropped perhaps the easiest course offered?

Hopefully someone moves this soon.
10ce11.jpg

*sigh*... use the search function, although you don't need any more than the advice of Goro