Withdrawing from secondaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soxfan247

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do most schools want notification if we would like to withdraw from their application process (my primaries are in, but I'm planning on not completing some secondaries)? Like is there an option for withdrawing on their application, or is it OK to just not complete the secondary by the deadline? And does withdrawing/not completing the secondaries still render me a re-applicant if I end up having to reapply next year?

Any input would be helpful, Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You could a) just not send in the Secondary, but possibly get endless reminder emails to complete the Secondary. Or, b) email or snail mail each school that you are withdrawing your application from further consideration.

If you used AMCAS and submitted to any of their schools, then you are a reapplicant for any other season, even if you didn't send in a Secondary.

Not trying to be a dick but legitimately curious. Why would you spend the money on the primary without completing the secondary. Are secondary fees outrageous? Apply to too many schools? Questions not worth answering? Like I said, I am curious as I am a lowly premed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not trying to be a dick but legitimately curious. Why would you spend the money on the primary without completing the secondary. Are secondary fees outrageous? Apply to too many schools? Questions not worth answering? Like I said, I am curious as I am a lowly premed.

Some schools are ridiculously expensive. I think Georgetown was like $120 or something like that. When in consideration with the fact, which you may not knew when you turned in your primary, that they have 12000 applicants, then...

Also, you may realize there were some schools that after doing a bit more research, you just didn't find it that attractive of a school or environment anymore.

Another reason would be that some schools' secondaries are absurd. Duke's is like 5 open ended essay questions or something bizarre like that. When you're tired and worn out from secondaries, then seeing that would probably turn you off.

Lastly, maybe you're applying in Sept, you've already netted a ton of interviews at great places. You might then also reconsider that secondary at one of your "Safety" schools...risky, but it will save some $$.

Or you've qualified for the FAP in which the primary and most of secondary fees are free. :)