Withdrawing from UG program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deepa100

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a couple of M.S. degrees but I am also enrolled in a second Undergraduate degree (long story) which do not intend to finish. i.e, I applied with my existing degrees. Now that I am accepted into a DO school w/o this second UG, I need to withdraw from it. Do I need to tell the adcoms even though they did not know about this/care about this degree to begin with? I am thinking about notifying the school that gave me the admission just in case.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I have a couple of M.S. degrees but I am also enrolled in a second Undergraduate degree (long story) which do not intend to finish. i.e, I applied with my existing degrees. Now that I am accepted into a DO school w/o this second UG, I need to withdraw from it. Do I need to tell the adcoms even though they did not know about this/care about this degree to begin with? I am thinking about notifying the school that gave me the admission just in case.

Look at your AACOMAS. If it says you're in a degree-seeking program, you need to tell them that you won't be obtaining the degree. If it says it's non-degree-seeking, than you wouldn't be expected to finish it, anyway.

Thanks,
I will do a mass-mail tomorrow. I will probably stay in the program till the Spring because otherwise, I may not be able to complete the pre-reqs. But, I will check with my school on that as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks,
I will do a mass-mail tomorrow. I will probably stay in the program till the Spring because otherwise, I may not be able to complete the pre-reqs. But, I will check with my school on that as well.

Mass email? To whom?

You only need to tell the school you're attending.

Look at your AACOMAS. If it says you're in a degree-seeking program, you need to tell them that you won't be obtaining the degree. If it says it's non-degree-seeking, than you wouldn't be expected to finish it, anyway.

Chocolate Bear,
Can you point me to the specific section? I am unable to find it in the CIB.

Chocolate Bear,
Can you point me to the specific section? I am unable to find it in the CIB.

Hmmm...not sure what you're looking for, specifically. Not sure if this is covered.

It's basically a matter of there being a significant discrepancy between AACOMAS and real life. If there's a big enough change that could affect the decision of a school (i.e. they could find out and hold it against you), you should let them know before matriculating.

Hmmm...not sure what you're looking for, specifically. Not sure if this is covered.

It's basically a matter of there being a significant discrepancy between AACOMAS and real life. If there's a big enough change that could affect the decision of a school (i.e. they could find out and hold it against you), you should let them know before matriculating.

I honestly don't think the schools would care because I talked to the local school director about it and he said he wouldn't care what I did with this degree. But I will do my part by notifying the school.

I was looking at cib but I realize you are saying AACOMAS, not cib.
Thanks for your response again, well appreciated.

I'm in a similar situation. I have a b.s. already but am enrolled as a "second degree seeking student". I simply told them I did that so I could schedule without losing my place for classes. Since you have a degree and all prereqs, I don't think they really care about another.

I'm in a similar situation. I have a b.s. already but am enrolled as a "second degree seeking student". I simply told them I did that so I could schedule without losing my place for classes. Since you have a degree and all prereqs, I don't think they really care about another.

Wow, thanks! My U is like that too, too much competition to get into the classes. Also, when I started it, I was getting a lot of negative vibes from the M.D schools regarding the foreign grades and how AMCAS does not verify them. Well, lucky for me, AACOMAS did verify my foreign grades:love: I did not know about the D.O option at the time.

So, I don't need that second UG after all!

Yeah, many schools give preference for registration to degree-seekers first. I agree that they probably won't care, and they know that many people do this. I'd just rather send a useless email than have any chance that someone could say something later. Meh.

I withdrew from my second degree seeking program. I stopped one class shy of a second BS (two classes, really... I was in one, and set to take the next in the summer).

I got my acceptance letter in the mail, and the next day, I called up PCOM...

ME: I just got accepted, and I was wondering how important it was to you that I get this second degree. This calculus class is a pain in my ass, and I've got better things to do with my summer and my money than go to school. I've already got one degree.

ADMISSIONS LADY: Do you have all our pre-requisites?

ME: yes

ADMISSIONS LADY: You're good to go.

I dropped calculus the next day, and never signed up for the summer class.

Yea, to get the Bio degree I need about 20 credits and to officially have my german degree I need two german courses. It would've cost me something around 35k extra to get those 2 extra degrees.

I'd def. tell them, but it is more of a heads up thing than a worry about retracting your acceptance. I believe on my letters it just said finish the prereqs that I was taking at the time to be considered accepted. Never mentioned graduating, so at least on mine, I could catch them by that anyway.