Deepa100

10+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2006
Status
Hi,
I have a couple of M.S. degrees but I am also enrolled in a second Undergraduate degree (long story) which do not intend to finish. i.e, I applied with my existing degrees. Now that I am accepted into a DO school w/o this second UG, I need to withdraw from it. Do I need to tell the adcoms even though they did not know about this/care about this degree to begin with? I am thinking about notifying the school that gave me the admission just in case.

Chocolate Bear

Moderizzle Fo'Shizzle!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 7, 2008
The Only Place I Wanna Be
Status
Hi,
I have a couple of M.S. degrees but I am also enrolled in a second Undergraduate degree (long story) which do not intend to finish. i.e, I applied with my existing degrees. Now that I am accepted into a DO school w/o this second UG, I need to withdraw from it. Do I need to tell the adcoms even though they did not know about this/care about this degree to begin with? I am thinking about notifying the school that gave me the admission just in case.
Look at your AACOMAS. If it says you're in a degree-seeking program, you need to tell them that you won't be obtaining the degree. If it says it's non-degree-seeking, than you wouldn't be expected to finish it, anyway.

OP
D

Deepa100

10+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2006
Status
Thanks,
I will do a mass-mail tomorrow. I will probably stay in the program till the Spring because otherwise, I may not be able to complete the pre-reqs. But, I will check with my school on that as well.

Chocolate Bear

Moderizzle Fo'Shizzle!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 7, 2008
Status
Thanks,
I will do a mass-mail tomorrow. I will probably stay in the program till the Spring because otherwise, I may not be able to complete the pre-reqs. But, I will check with my school on that as well.
Mass email? To whom?

You only need to tell the school you're attending.

OP
D

Deepa100

10+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2006
Status
Look at your AACOMAS. If it says you're in a degree-seeking program, you need to tell them that you won't be obtaining the degree. If it says it's non-degree-seeking, than you wouldn't be expected to finish it, anyway.
Chocolate Bear,
Can you point me to the specific section? I am unable to find it in the CIB.

Chocolate Bear

Moderizzle Fo'Shizzle!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 7, 2008
Status
Chocolate Bear,
Can you point me to the specific section? I am unable to find it in the CIB.
Hmmm...not sure what you're looking for, specifically. Not sure if this is covered.

It's basically a matter of there being a significant discrepancy between AACOMAS and real life. If there's a big enough change that could affect the decision of a school (i.e. they could find out and hold it against you), you should let them know before matriculating.

OP
D

Deepa100

10+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2006
Status
Hmmm...not sure what you're looking for, specifically. Not sure if this is covered.

It's basically a matter of there being a significant discrepancy between AACOMAS and real life. If there's a big enough change that could affect the decision of a school (i.e. they could find out and hold it against you), you should let them know before matriculating.
I honestly don't think the schools would care because I talked to the local school director about it and he said he wouldn't care what I did with this degree. But I will do my part by notifying the school.

I was looking at cib but I realize you are saying AACOMAS, not cib.
Thanks for your response again, well appreciated.

MossPoh

Textures intrigue me
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
Tally/Willkillya County
psu.facebook.com
Status
Medical Student
I'm in a similar situation. I have a b.s. already but am enrolled as a "second degree seeking student". I simply told them I did that so I could schedule without losing my place for classes. Since you have a degree and all prereqs, I don't think they really care about another.

OP
D

Deepa100

10+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2006
Status
I'm in a similar situation. I have a b.s. already but am enrolled as a "second degree seeking student". I simply told them I did that so I could schedule without losing my place for classes. Since you have a degree and all prereqs, I don't think they really care about another.
Wow, thanks! My U is like that too, too much competition to get into the classes. Also, when I started it, I was getting a lot of negative vibes from the M.D schools regarding the foreign grades and how AMCAS does not verify them. Well, lucky for me, AACOMAS did verify my foreign grades:love: I did not know about the D.O option at the time.

So, I don't need that second UG after all!

Chocolate Bear

Moderizzle Fo'Shizzle!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 7, 2008
Status
Yeah, many schools give preference for registration to degree-seekers first. I agree that they probably won't care, and they know that many people do this. I'd just rather send a useless email than have any chance that someone could say something later. Meh.

TexasTriathlete

HTFU
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 19, 2007
The ATL
www.myspace.com
Status
Medical Student
I withdrew from my second degree seeking program. I stopped one class shy of a second BS (two classes, really... I was in one, and set to take the next in the summer).

I got my acceptance letter in the mail, and the next day, I called up PCOM...

ME: I just got accepted, and I was wondering how important it was to you that I get this second degree. This calculus class is a pain in my ass, and I've got better things to do with my summer and my money than go to school. I've already got one degree.

ADMISSIONS LADY: Do you have all our pre-requisites?

ME: yes

ADMISSIONS LADY: You're good to go.

I dropped calculus the next day, and never signed up for the summer class.

MossPoh

Textures intrigue me
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
Tally/Willkillya County
psu.facebook.com
Status
Medical Student
Yea, to get the Bio degree I need about 20 credits and to officially have my german degree I need two german courses. It would've cost me something around 35k extra to get those 2 extra degrees.

I'd def. tell them, but it is more of a heads up thing than a worry about retracting your acceptance. I believe on my letters it just said finish the prereqs that I was taking at the time to be considered accepted. Never mentioned graduating, so at least on mine, I could catch them by that anyway.