Withdrawing from UMICH for the following reasons...???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Go easy on TroubleTheCat. The guy obviously hates the place he's lived his whole life. That's got to be tough.

Trouble- definitely don't go to med school at UM. You obviously need to spread your wings and get out of Ann Arbor for a while. I think you'll find a lot of your complaints about where you've lived your whole life are diminished with a bit of context.

Until then, hearing about what a rotten place to live coming from someone who hasn't lived anywhere else doesn't really hold a lot of water.

Members don't see this ad.

Go easy on TroubleTheCat. The guy obviously hates the place he's lived his whole life. That's got to be tough.

Trouble- definitely don't go to med school at UM. You obviously need to spread your wings and get out of Ann Arbor for a while. I think you'll find a lot of your complaints about where you've lived your whole life are diminished with a bit of context.

Until then, hearing about what a rotten place to live coming from someone who hasn't lived anywhere else doesn't really hold a lot of water.

NDY, I agree. Thanks for throwing some water on this semi-flame war of a thread we have here. Trouble, I want to apologize on coming down on you so hard earlier. I got a little over-defensive about UM, because I've thought about this topic quite a bit over the last year or so, and I'm a die hard supporter of UM. Sorry for the harsh words.

Members don't see this ad :)
Attack the messenger all you want, I really don't care (though it does make me laugh to see how inflamed you all are by my posts that point out Michigan's flaws:laugh: ).

If you guys all want to go to a school like Michigan where you are forced to live in a **it hole apartment while paying out the *ss for it in lousy weather and when you do have free time you are sitting with your thumb up your *ss saying to yourself "man, what is there to do around here?", then by all means go to Michigan. You sure won't find me in that scenario. You say "well it's only 4 years and you can deal with it and go someplace else", but it seems to me that the quality of life that an institution has to offer makes a huge difference (because 4 years is a long time to live in a **it hole). But maybe you guys like living in an expensive **it hole...

Let's just say you've gotta love the Cali schools (I know I do) because places like U of M can't compete with all they have to offer. And don't worry about the tuition difference...my private merit-based scholarship will more than take care of it...(as a similar one did for my undergrad).

Its the same reason USC and Florida have great and big ten have only fair football teams year after year. Who in their right mind (if good enough to have a choice) would go to an area that plays in 40 degree weather when you could play in 60s and 70s year round? Same principle for medical students.

Its the same reason USC and Florida have great and big ten have only fair football teams year after year. Who in their right mind (if good enough to have a choice) would go to an area that plays in 40 degree weather when you could play in 60s and 70s year round? Same principle for medical students.

I totally agree...That and you can live in a state governed by Arnold (instead of some screwy Canadian who can't govern the state of Michigan to save her soul...much less buy a rat to gnaw those gigantic warts off her face).

I have to ask, where in Cali are you expecting to find better apartments for less money? I visited two schools there, both with crappy apartments galore, that cost twice as much as they did in Ann Arbor.

Secondly, congrats on your scholarship, but what does this mean to anyone else? I agree that you don't have too many good reasons to go to umich, but that doesn't mean that nobody else does. Most of your arguments have cited personal reasons you don't like AA that don't necessarily apply to everyone, so maybe it would be better to let everyone make their own decisions?

TTC: You've lived in Michigan all your life, as you've said before, so please... Get out. The faster the better. You sound incredibly bitter for having been stuck here your entire life, so I'm incredibly happy that you now finally have an opportunity to try something new. I've lived in NY. I've lived in California. And I've lived in Michigan. While I do personally love the West Coast best, I think I have the ability to truly compare these places... and let me tell you, Ann Arbor isn't all that bad. If you think simply living in California is going to change your life, well, I hope that works out for you. Personally, I think getting a new personality would do you best.

I have to ask, where in Cali are you expecting to find better apartments for less money? I visited two schools there, both with crappy apartments galore, that cost twice as much as they did in Ann Arbor.

Secondly, congrats on your scholarship, but what does this mean to anyone else? I agree that you don't have too many good reasons to go to umich, but that doesn't mean that nobody else does. Most of your arguments have cited personal reasons you don't like AA that don't necessarily apply to everyone, so maybe it would be better to let everyone make their own decisions?

All up and down California are medical schools with apartments way better than those in Ann Arbor for less money. Where have you been looking? And you get a heck of a lot more out of the location.

The scholarship pertains to other posts questioning my financial reasons for attending an in-state vs. out-of-state school and have nothing to do with you or most anyone else.

And (as I've said in previous posts) I'm not tying you down to a chair, holding your eyelids open with a gun pointed at your head making you read my posts. If you don't like my criticisms of your school then ignore my posts (something tells me that you know there is a great deal of truth in my criticisms, which urges you to chime in because it makes you and your school look inferior). As for my posts being personal reasons for not liking Ann Arbor, well let's see: Bad weather, expensive housing that sucks, shoddy parking arrangement that sucks, elitist students and faculty, etc....seems like things that others might like to know about (not merely a personal matter) before they decide to attend.

TTC: You've lived in Michigan all your life, as you've said before, so please... Get out. The faster the better. You sound incredibly bitter for having been stuck here your entire life, so I'm incredibly happy that you now finally have an opportunity to try something new. I've lived in NY. I've lived in California. And I've lived in Michigan. While I do personally love the West Coast best, I think I have the ability to truly compare these places... and let me tell you, Ann Arbor isn't all that bad. If you think simply living in California is going to change your life, well, I hope that works out for you. Personally, I think getting a new personality would do you best.

Yeah, by the way, congrats on getting a Pediatrics residency at U Washington Affiliated Hospitals...Couldn't wait to get the heck out of Ann Arbor could ya? Although I think you would have liked your #1 choice of UCSF better....Cali is calling...:D. So please share with us why U of M ranked so low on your list???

Yeah, by the way, congrats on getting a Pediatrics residency at U Washington Affiliated Hospitals...Couldn't wait to get the heck out of Ann Arbor could ya? Although I think you would have liked your #1 choice of UCSF better....Cali is calling...:D. So please share with us why U of M ranked so low on your list???

Well, since you are obviously checking up on my previous posts... Yes, I am going to UW for Peds. But, if you read more of my prior posts, you'll see that I've always had nothing but the greatest things to say about the pediatric program and all of the people here. I've encouraged a number of peds applicants to consider Michigan bc it's such a fabulous place. I am not from Michigan, I am not from anywhere in the Midwest. My family is on the coasts. When I chose to come here for medical school, the plan was never to stay for the rest of my life. This probably supports the post of another poster that was wondering why UM takes so many out-of-staters that never stay. A legitimate question, I think. Though to that I will say that a number of out-of-staters end up staying, and a number of in-staters end up leaving... so who knows what that means, just throwing it out there. Anyway, TTC, I just said that I do love the West Coast -- but that doesn't mean that I hate Ann Arbor. It is possible to be less extremist than you are.

But maybe my balanced state of mind comes from having perspective... who wants to put money on TTC coming back to Michigan to plant his roots after medical school? Big bad California's gonna overwhelm this sheltered boy...

Well, since you are obviously checking up on my previous posts... Yes, I am going to UW for Peds. But, if you read more of my prior posts, you'll see that I've always had nothing but the greatest things to say about the pediatric program and all of the people here. I've encouraged a number of peds applicants to consider Michigan bc it's such a fabulous place. I am not from Michigan, I am not from anywhere in the Midwest. My family is on the coasts. When I chose to come here for medical school, the plan was never to stay for the rest of my life. This probably supports the post of another poster that was wondering why UM takes so many out-of-staters that never stay. A legitimate question, I think. Though to that I will say that a number of out-of-staters end up staying, and a number of in-staters end up leaving... so who knows what that means, just throwing it out there. Anyway, TTC, I just said that I do love the West Coast -- but that doesn't mean that I hate Ann Arbor. It is possible to be less extremist than you are.

But maybe my balanced state of mind comes from having perspective... who wants to put money on TTC coming back to Michigan to plant his roots after medical school? Big bad California's gonna overwhelm this sheltered boy...

Ooohhh I'm so affraid of big bad California....You know, compared to Detroit I have a lot to worry about moving to San Fran...I hear the homeless hippies can be pretty rough compared to what we see in Detroit (afterall I never said I lived in Ann Arbor my entire life...and I also failed to mention that I spent a few summers in San Fran).

So I'll take your peds income from you if you wish to wager...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah our winter sucks. It's 4 + months long. However, after that you get something called Spring and it's nice. It's nice to have 4 seasons. I'm not sure where you are from, but having a cold and bitter winter makes spring and summer that much better. Summer in Michigan is perfect.

So quit complaining about U of M. You apparently are just trying to stir things up so use your energy on something else.

Tell anyone who's lived in LA how much cheaper their rents are than in Ann Arbor and they'll laugh at you.

People like you are social poison. Any med school should be grateful to miss out on having you in their class. And I guarantee that no matter where you end up, you will be miserable - some people are just born to hate their lives.

Your credibility is waning a bit, Trouble.

Anyway, sorry you're so pi$$ed off about home. Like I said, move. It's good for you. You learn lots.

Lived here my whole life as in the state of Michigan...Never once said I lived in Ann Arbor my whole life...your credibility as a private investigator is waning a bit...hope this clears up your confusion...

And thanks for the advice Dr. Phil...Me love you long time...:love:

People like you are social poison. Any med school should be grateful to miss out on having you in their class. And I guarantee that no matter where you end up, you will be miserable - some people are just born to hate their lives.

Take another sip...it tastes good.:D

I hope you don't hate your life, given that certain groups of people are statistically less equipped than all others (if you know what I mean...;) ...like what's the average? 4 inches?)

OP...you are sounding just like a troll

Alright - this thread has gotten out of hand and is generating complaints to the SDN Mods and Admins. Since sides have been taken, points beaten like a dead thoroughbred, what do you say you guys retreat to your corners and go back to regular programming?