withdrawing without acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

markus21

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
is it common to withdraw from a school that you decided is not the place you want to go to even without having received any acceptances? Is this just plain foolish or do a lot of people do this?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, go ahead and withdraw. I give you permission. You don't want to go there anyway, right?

Originally posted by markus21
is it common to withdraw from a school that you decided is not the place you want to go to even without having received any acceptances? Is this just plain foolish or do a lot of people do this?

Wait until you get an acceptance. It may end up being your only acceptance and you never know. Just wait. What harm could it do?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you've already been accepted somewhere and you would rather go there than other schools where you haven't been accepted yet, then withdraw from the schools you wouldn't go to anyway. It's better than getting a rejection.

I already withdrew from UC Davis and UC San Diego because they didn't have the decency to even give me a secondary.

If you have been accepted somewhere you really like, then by all means withdraw from anywhere you would not want to go.

I withdrew from all but 3 of my schools after I received an acceptance from a school where I really love. Some schools took my withdraw over the phone along with my interview cancallation. Some I emailed and one I fax.

The reason you should do it, is because it gets you out of their system and frees up the space for someone else to be considered for an interview or acceptance.