DDS4Me

10+ Year Member
May 8, 2008
3
0
Status
Pre-Dental
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a decision I might have to make for the 2008 school year.

I will be matriculating into a State University dental program in mid August, however I'm currently waitlisted at my #1 choice which begins in September, roughly a month after I'll be enrolled at the program I've been accepted to. I'd prefer to attend my #1 choice as it is not only closer to where I currently reside but also tuition is 15k a year cheaper. Is it possible to leave a program I'd be enrolled in and accept a spot at my waitlisted school?

I realize I will probably lose my deposit, plus my 1st semesters tuition, but besides that is anything really preventing me from doing this? How would loans work out? If anyone knows anyone or has experience in this matter, I'd really appreciate it.
 

toothfairy85

Guest
10+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2006
725
0
Texas
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
I am not really sure how that would work, but you would also have to pay your lease in full (more than likely) if you stayed in an apartment and moved out before your lease term ended.
 

tinman831

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2004
11,354
78
Texas
Status
Dentist
There's really nothing that forbids you from leaving one institution and attending another. Just be prepared to lose a bit of money in doing so... and possibly ruffling a few feathers in the process.
 

Hysteria24

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2002
1,511
4
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
A recently graduated dentist I know did this exact thing. He started at an expensive private school on the other side of the country in August. A few weeks later got accepted into his state school so he packed everything up, said goodbye to all of his newly made friends, and moved back across the country. With the price difference in the schools, he still saved a considerable amount of money.
 

MarkND

DDS, me?
10+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2008
78
1
here, there, everywhere
Status
Dental Student
This way you are proventing another person to get into a dental school this year! You should make up your mind in advance and stick to it.
 

toofshucker

10+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2007
291
2
Philly
Status
Dental Student
This way you are proventing another person to get into a dental school this year! You should make up your mind in advance and stick to it.
I completely disagree. The other Dental school will fill their spot with one of their waitlisted students. To the OP: don't regret four years of your life because you didn't do what you felt was best for you...You know the dental schools feel this way about you. They aren't doing you any favors accepting you, if there was someone that was a better fit than you, they would dump you in a second and go with the other option.
 
OP
D

DDS4Me

10+ Year Member
May 8, 2008
3
0
Status
Pre-Dental
thanks for the advice I really appreciate, well hopefully I'll get in off the waitlist :)
 

Hysteria24

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2002
1,511
4
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
This way you are proventing another person to get into a dental school this year! You should make up your mind in advance and stick to it.
I think the OP has decided. But there is not much he/she can do now while sitting on the waitlist.

And they will fill the spot! They are not going to lose out on 4 years of tuition just because a replacement student would be a couple weeks behind.
 

Immuno-guy

Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2006
49
0
Status
Other Health Professions Student
Simple. Phone admissions. Ask three questions:

1. Where am I on the wait list?
2. How many people are on the wait list?
3. How many people are typically taken from the wait list?

I asked these questions and all my fears were allayed.

By not doing this you may ruin someones chances at getting into their first choice (a.k.a. your second) as your current school will have started too long ago for them to begin.

Make the call.

Good luck.
 

toofshucker

10+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2007
291
2
Philly
Status
Dental Student
By not doing this you may ruin someones chances at getting into their first choice (a.k.a. your second) as your current school will have started too long ago for them to begin.

Make the call.

Good luck.
I think this is good advice (to call the school), but I do believe you have already done so. Again, don't worry about the school filling your spot. They will do so. Somebody will be sitting in your spot this fall, whether it is you, or someone else. That is not your problem, but the school's. That sounds harsh, but it is reality. The school would drop you in a second for someone better if they could. DO NOT figure that in your decision.
 

Yellow Snow

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2004
732
0
Pacific NW
Status
Pre-Dental
We had a young girl who elected to do this last fall. She came to the school through one of those undergrad programs that allow you auto acceptance to the dental school should you obtain a certain gpa. She was 20 years old so she interviewed in the fall while attending our school and then dropped out to start a year later somewhere else. From what I've heard she just explained it to the dean and there were no hard feelings.
 

gryffindor

15+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2002
2,806
72
Visit site
Status
Dentist
We used to have Canadians bail in the first month because the Canadian schools would send their final acceptances by the time we had already began. Canadian schools are like a bargain compared to most US schools, so those students would bail and there would be nothing the dental school could do about it except maybe reduce the number of Canadians they accepted to prevent potential bail-outs.
 

SeaBass

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2002
106
1
Visit site
Status
We had a few join our class last minute, some left to another program after 1st year, some joined after a year. I would attend whatever program you prefer, you earned it, it will get filled anyways. 60k is a lot of $ and you would be smart to save the tuition costs. I think this is understated by pre-dents and students. Once you begin working you will appreciate a quicker relief from the burden of student debt.

Best of luck.
 

Wayne Coronado

Edentulistic Savant
10+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2006
170
0
Pinacoladaburg
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a decision I might have to make for the 2008 school year.

I will be matriculating into a State University dental program in mid August, however I'm currently waitlisted at my #1 choice which begins in September, roughly a month after I'll be enrolled at the program I've been accepted to. I'd prefer to attend my #1 choice as it is not only closer to where I currently reside but also tuition is 15k a year cheaper. Is it possible to leave a program I'd be enrolled in and accept a spot at my waitlisted school?

I realize I will probably lose my deposit, plus my 1st semesters tuition, but besides that is anything really preventing me from doing this? How would loans work out? If anyone knows anyone or has experience in this matter, I'd really appreciate it.
If it is possible, I would go for it. I was in a similar situation although I got into my waitlisted school before the beginning of the semester. I ate $1000 on the deposit, but I saved way more than that going to my #1 choice. I was very happy with that decision although I gave up better weather, but in the end I will spend less time paying it off which is a huge bonus. :thumbup: