WL Movement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

babygreenbeans

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yep. Traffic day would then be April 30th for most schools, but for schools that have an earlier deadline, that could release A’s from the students that choose to go to that school

Reactions: 1 user
In previous years, schools could see the MAR (multiple acceptance report) which was something like
"Beginning on Feb. 10th, the PD's know which other programs have a current acceptance to an applicant, but only for those who are currently accepted in that program.
On March 15th, PD's must extend at least as many acceptances as they intend to matriculate.
Beginning on April 1st, all PD's are made aware of all current acceptances for all applicants. In addition, the joint acceptance report shows all of the acceptances (current and declined) for all applicants that they have extended an acceptance." (credit @Fencer)

Without this last year, schools only see aggregate reports between Feb 19 (ish) and April 29 that showed how many applicants in their pool had selected PTE at their school versus another school (but couldn't see data on students with no acceptances). On April 30, schools could then run detailed reports to identify accepted and WL applicants who had selected PTE or CTE at their school versus another school. Clearly, this has caused schools to scramble as they're less able to predict who will matriculate and they can't see who is holding other acceptances and think "well, they'll probably go to UCLA over our school," or whatever. Basically, WL movement is slower because schools could see much more information in the past than they now can without MAR.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
i see what you are saying but if a particular school has a school specific policy that requires applicants to drop all other A's and PTE to that school on april 30, then isn't that pretty definitive regardless of MAR, since again the school forces the applicant to let go of all other A's. for example see cornell's policy in their website. did schools not have such policies last year and just used april 30 as a "suggestion"?
--February 1st : Multiple Acceptance Report is release. Only Schools that have accepted you can see where else you have been offered acceptance. No school can ever see where else you have applied, been rejected, or waitlisted.
--March 15th:
Schools must have offered acceptances at least equal to the expected number of students in its first-year entering class.
April 1st: National Acceptance Report is released. Any school can now see where you have been accepted. At no time can any school see where else you have applied or have been rejected.
--Prior to April 30th, schools offering acceptance should give you two weeks to decide before requiring refundable deposit of $100 or less by AAMC Traffic Rules.
--April 30th: Acceptees can only hold a single acceptance. Each school or program implement school-specific procedures for accepted applicants who, without adequate explanation, continue to hold one or more places at other schools or programs.
--You may hold as many waitlists as you want and can change without deposit penalty
--After April 30, Schools need schools need to give you 5 days to decide, dropping to 2 days if within 30 days of that school's orientation.
--May 15th: Schools accepting applicants off waitlist must notify any school where applicant has been accepted or deferred on same business day
Here's what the rules used to dictate - it doesn't look like you used to have to drop your waitlist positions AND only have one acceptance at certain schools on April 30. Ultimately, schools are probably being more conservative with yield protecting by waitlisting more applicants and then pulling them later on rather than over accepting. This did lead some schools to over or under enroll last year though. I think it'll take some time for the kinks to get ironed out but that's just my opinion

Hey DataKing - what's with the avatar? Is this you're way of saying you're losing your mind? :laugh:

• Haha
Hey DataKing - what's with the avatar? Is this you're way of saying you're losing your mind? :laugh:
hahaha I surely hope not. I just realized I could change my avatar to a gif today and I love Louise from Bob's Burgers!

Does April 30 also dictate the last day when schools can waitlist interviewees? For example, I haven’t heard from my top choice post-interview but PTEd at another school. If my top choice hasn’t waitlisted me by April 30, will the app be automatically rescinded since it’s technically not an acceptance but also not a waitlist?

Does April 30 also dictate the last day when schools can waitlist interviewees? For example, I haven’t heard from my top choice post-interview but PTEd at another school. If my top choice hasn’t waitlisted me by April 30, will the app be automatically rescinded since it’s technically not an acceptance but also not a waitlist?
Absolutely not -- some schools will still be interviewing in April. Schools can take an action, A, R or WL, at any time on or after 10/15. Any application you submit remains live until an action is taken or the end of the cycle, whichever comes first. The cycle extends until sometime after classes start next summer.

Every school has added April 30 to its formal policy as the deadline for a single acceptance
I understand that the AAMC traffic rules have not changed since last year; however do you believe that schools are setting more rigid PTE/CTE deadlines this year that may result in more/earlier WL movement compared to last year?

Reactions: 2 users
Lets be clear about this. You are officially "not admitted" (ie rejected) from the moment you submit your AMCAS. A school is only required to contact you for interview invite or admission (whether direct acceptance or alternate WL). A school is not, repeat, is not required to informed you of any other action. Indeed, many schools will never send any formal rejection letter but simply will take no action upon your application

Hi! Sorry if I am reviving a dead conversation but this post stood out to me. First of all, thank you for clarifying this. It does suck to never hear back with an actual answer from a school, but at least I know now that it's a rule in admissions processing that they arent required to send final decisions.

That being said, why would it be that a school is inconsistent with this practice, handing out rejections to some but not all students?

For example, my alma mater undergrad university has put me on hold, but taken other students off hold for interviews, or rejected students not selected for interviews. As a reapplicant, I still have yet to come off of a hold from the previous cycle I applied to this school, and if I were crazy, I would still be hoping that my first "Hold" from 2017 would somehow turn into an interview invite. Why is it that some students get a rejection (which I would appreciate, for the sake of closure and peace of mind) but others don't? I certainly don't expect any special treatment from the school i went to for undergrad, but after doing an SMP, improving my application, sending updates and LOI's I can't seem to figure out why some students get at least something of an answer, and my application would remain unanswered on hold for more than one cycle.

Just using my experience as an example, I'm really just curious to know why any school in general would be inconsistent like this. I appreciate any insight you can offer!

Hi! Sorry if I am reviving a dead conversation but this post stood out to me. First of all, thank you for clarifying this. It does suck to never hear back with an actual answer from a school, but at least I know now that it's a rule in admissions processing that they arent required to send final decisions.

That being said, why would it be that a school is inconsistent with this practice, handing out rejections to some but not all students?

For example, my alma mater undergrad university has put me on hold, but taken other students off hold for interviews, or rejected students not selected for interviews. As a reapplicant, I still have yet to come off of a hold from the previous cycle I applied to this school, and if I were crazy, I would still be hoping that my first "Hold" from 2017 would somehow turn into an interview invite. Why is it that some students get a rejection (which I would appreciate, for the sake of closure and peace of mind) but others don't? I certainly don't expect any special treatment from the school i went to for undergrad, but after doing an SMP, improving my application, sending updates and LOI's I can't seem to figure out why some students get at least something of an answer, and my application would remain unanswered on hold for more than one cycle.

Just using my experience as an example, I'm really just curious to know why any school in general would be inconsistent like this. I appreciate any insight you can offer!
Sometimes, non-response is seen a way to pre-emptively manage "blow-back."

• Sad
  • Hmm
Reactions: 2 users